Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darklands, evil play through?

fastjack

Augur
So i'm getting ready to fire up Darklands again and i seem to remember there were a number of 'evil' actions your party could take (camping out illegally comes to mind). My question is whether or not this is a viable way to play. I understand that all of the quests are oriented toward being heroes, but in this case as long as i could get cool fights and lots of money i would consider an evil path viable.

So does anyone remember any cool evil things from Darklands?
I seem to remember sneaking up to banks or shops at night but being unable to pick their locks. How high should my skill be to succeed in such endeavors?
Was there any way to bushwhack or otherwise rob people?

Thanks in advance for any input on ANY cool stuff to do/try in Darklands!

Balor

Arcane
Really doubt so. Piety (while not exactly do-goodness, but very close) is a very important stat, cause it allows you to 'cast spells', which is very useful and interesting gameplay element.
You can survive with warriors and alchemists, however there are no really 'evil' quests to speak of.
Now, if you you could join the cult of Baphomet and get to worship Satan instead - that would be a great alternative... but it's not possible.
And if it was, I bet the game would be torn to pieces by concervative press.

Redeye

Arcane
Balor said:
... I bet the game would be torn to pieces by concervative press.

Probably liberal press, too.

Liberals want us to be helpless and "happy". They do not want us to be fantasizing about evil.

This is assuming that either press would even be aware of the game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
To this day I fondly remember the eo (evangalical broadcast) doing a piece on populous. It was awesome.

On topic though. There were a few "bad" things you could do in Darklands. I remember attacking a witches shed (one of the randomn encounters in the wild) and just scaring the hell out of an innocent woman. You can also have some quests where you have to steal items in a city and evade or fight the town guards. I got captured and tried to escape. That failed and I ended up with one final chance of escape as my little party was about to be executed. After killing off the executioner and the guards you still have to get out of the city. It nearly killed of my group, almost all of my equipment was lost and I remained a wanted man in that town. It was epic.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Other than killing town guards, not much evil you can do. You can seek sanctuary in churches if you are wanted. There is also prison, where you can try to break out or rot and lose some skills.

Balor

Arcane
Trash said:
To this day I fondly remember the eo (evangalical broadcast) doing a piece on populous. It was awesome.
Can you describe it in a few sentences? I bet it was branded for being unspeakably evil blasphemy?

opium fiend

Augur
You can do some horrible things at the witches gathering, like participating in the black mass, sacrificing babies, and so on. The descriptions and the background illustrations were extremely atmospheric, and the part when a wolf is sniffing your party member's hand is eerie. Of course your piety plummets for every ungodly act. Too bad in the end you -have- to fight the coven leader, at least I never could achieve any other outcome.

Also, you can do a lot of breaking and entering, and I remember once hiding into a monastery that offered sanctuary while the city guards waited outside. As someone said, the game's epic.

edit: You can kill the executioner??? Installing this again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom