Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decent [free] programs for making maps?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hay guys, I'm beginning to design an RPG now, too, and I need a map-making tool to properly design the gameworld. It's an underground world similar to Ultima Underworld or the Avernum series, so a dungeon designer would be enough, as it will consist completely of underground maps. Got any tips on what program to use? Campaign Cartographer with its Dungeon Designer plugin looks awesome, but it seems hard to use and it's fucking expensive. Anything that's freeware or open source would be awesome.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I could also use the good old graph paper and then scan it in, but that'll just create a mess of sheets on my desk, knowing how unorganized I often work.

I think I'll torrent Campaign Cartographer and buy it if I like it well enough and if it manages to give me satisfying results. Seems to be the best tool for things like this.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
JarlFrank said:
Hay guys, I'm beginning to design an RPG now, too, and I need a map-making tool to properly design the gameworld. It's an underground world similar to Ultima Underworld or the Avernum series, so a dungeon designer would be enough, as it will consist completely of underground maps. Got any tips on what program to use? Campaign Cartographer with its Dungeon Designer plugin looks awesome, but it seems hard to use and it's fucking expensive. Anything that's freeware or open source would be awesome.

I'm highly partial to DungeonForge. It has its limits and doesn't allow you full freedom everywhere, but it offers downloadable additional packs, is intuitive in use (once you figure out you have to switch between tile tool mode and object tool mode to place tools or objects)

Hory

Erudite
My suggestion is to just pay a freelance artist ~50$ for it, once you've developed everything else. Saves you time and you get something original and of probably higher quality.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah that's what I'll do once I'm further in development, but now I just need some simple tool to create some concept maps. Like, dungeon layout and stuff like that. The thing BN posted looks pretty interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom