Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Did you ever play this game?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Valhalla for the Amiga.
(this was that game i was asking about a few months ago)

Weird game, "fully voiced" (and what a stupid voice it is), what little there was, strange business model of episodes (DLC without the massive installed base ==> failure).

They apparently converted this to the pc and there are 13 "episodes" now,
thought there were only 3 in the amiga i think.
Edit: scratch that, those naughty guys apparently divided the whole 3 game some more or expanded them to turn the 3 original games into 13 "episodes" (i base this on the avatars in the images and the let's play on ytube, maybe a injustice).

I never got into it, and i doubt it is any good, but it seems something to try once.

http://www.vulcan.co.uk/classics/type-big/index.htm

made

Arcane
Vulkan games were all kinda bad and had this annoying graphic style. You knew the Amiga was dead when that was one of the only devs left.

gromit

Arcane
It looks like that style was cheap to implement, though. And the multi-sprite has other strengths, too, such as the flexibility it provides, in that one can add additional frames to specific sprites for that extra touch where you need it, and still do the throw-aways quickly and effectively.

Unless you're blitzed on box wine while scripting the walking animation. Watching it again, it seems like the individual sprite motion isn't wholly to blame. It might have looked great if the sprite itself moved with the feet: if as one foot moved forward, the over-sprite's position was bound to the rear foot. As it stands, it just kind of slides forward on its over-all center and the pieces and parts to their thing. Hence the hero attempts to do a forward moonwalk with a severe inner ear infection.

But, anyway, it probably saved them the dough to pull the whole thing off, so I can't blame them for that. Unless the whole thing should never have been pulled off, which I don't know -- did you get around to giving it a whirl?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom