Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom vs Brutal Doom - DISCUSS!

Unwanted

tmux

Unwanted
- Hell Knights and Barons of Hell have an actual crotch hitbox now, but you can only hit it when they are charging an attack.
does this mean you can kick them in the balls?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Gave the new Brutal Doom a short test:

- Pistols have their own ammo pool now, and it's not visible on the HUD.
- Barrels are deathtraps now.
- The Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon (at least as bosses at the end of the Doom 1 episodes) are much tougher now.
- Bosses get a health bar visible on-screen, but it's blocked by the giant -= BOSS =- symbol that's also on-screen.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I played through Doom 1&2 with Brutal Doom twice, on different versions, last time about a year ago...
I dont find it that much harder at all.... Maybe for people who cant punch UV Cyberdemons to death or people who actually fight all the monsters?
Idk i replay these games every year atleast once since release and usually dont need much more than an hour each.

Didnt try Plutonia/Evilution or any custom wad with it.

But alas the only thing i truly hate about brutal doom are the voice samples...

Gz + Beautiful is my usual choice.

When it comes to favorite weapon set's its blood for me, every weapon but the last 2 are awesome in that.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Brutal Doom was once a relatively faithful update of the original game, just with (optional) dumb fatalities and cussing. Each update is adding more and more wild shit. Still probably worth it for the AI and more visceral gunplay alone though. And the serge does go out of his way to make a purist mode, though it's not the kind of purity I'm looking for. I don't care about no reloading + auto aim and no freelooking, I'd just like a little more subtlety with some of the other features.
As for night vision scope on the rocket launcher, well it could be cool for those that play with unmodified brightness in dark areas, and the rocket launcher was before lacking secondary fire functionality. It'd be best to use it from the exterior before entering a dark cavern though, as when inside you don't want to be using a rocket launcher in an area usually designed with lots of blind spots and sharp corners for close quarters ambushes. Still not redundant though, and not really any true reason to take issue with the idea except "it's different". Yet even then it's optional.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd just like a little more subtlety with some of the other features.

You should try Beautiful Doom instead, which for me is a good tamed version of BD with vanilla / enhanced weapons options and more aggressive enemies but without any new attacks and other stuff that makes it far better for the custom wads.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom