Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DoW40k:Winter Assault

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I know we already have a thread dedicated to Dawn of War's mods and expansions, but its quite cluttered and I figured a new start was in order. I just got my hands on Winter Assault and am still debating the merits. I'm pretty sure the AI is a lot smarter now, and will actually spam vehicles and use bombardment.

As for the Imperial gaurd, there is quite a bit more than the original campaign presented them as. Understandably, their starting unit is pretty weak. And I can't figure out how to counter vehicles with them yet. That being said, the Earth Shaker rounds pretty much decimate anything. A direct hit will eliminate an entire division of Heavy Infantry. One more thing, why all the hoops to get their best unit? First you have to reach Tier 3, which is its own incentive. Then you have to research a special technology that takes forever, then you have to build the Mars facility, then you can finally build the big tank. Ah well... anyone else figured out how to use the Imperials more effectively then just play hide and seek until you get Earth Shaker Rounds?

Astromarine

Erudite
I haven't played yet, but in the tabletop, the Baneblade is so powerful that it doesn't even exist for "normal" 40K, it only comes in a special and unofficial ruleset called "Imperial Armor" that has rules for superheavy tanks. Maybe that's why it's so much harder than the other special units

Sirus

Liturgist
I've found sentinels are effective against vehicles. At least in tier 2.

Kortalh

Liturgist
The Imperial Guard are pretty fun. Personally, I would've preferred a race that was more unique, but they did a good job of making them different.

I was mostly disappointed in the campaigns. I thought the original campaign was really good, especially for an RTS. Why they didn't expand on that storyline from where it left off, I'll never know. Maybe for a sequel?

I also really disliked the switching back and forth between races during the campaign. Particularly the levels with the Switch Team button... I noticed that some of my orders were reset when I switch teams, meaning that I can't give a few move/build orders and switch back, I had to stay with the team until they finished. Which isn't very helpful when your other team is being barraged by the enemy.

Either way, it was good fun... and I liked how they play the storyline out from the viewpoint of each team. They should've gone a bit more heavily on that idea, to really make the plots connect.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Personally,Iloved the game. Also, Baneblades are uber powerful, more powerful than any other vehicle the Space Marines can dish out in the game (IMHO), so it makes sense that it's tough to get to. Sentinels are really good on buildings and vehicles, since their weapon is more anti-ordinance than anti-personel. Also, in regards to their Leman Russ tanks, what no laying waste to ground you cant see? And I have decimated three teams in a row (on one map) with a Baneblade before it gave up the ghost, so it makes sense it's tough as hell to get. Not even the Demon, Avatar, or Squiggoth could do that.

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
well i figure out the tactics for the imperial guard is "Defensive" hence garrisoning units in the buildings that you can garrison them in.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Play IG defensively through tier 1. Bunker down if they attack. Sentinels in tier 2 are one of the best anti-tank units in the game.

The Baneblade is the strongest of the four superunits, but also the most susceptible to assault termie stun. One squad of assaut termies can render a baneblade useless.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Dudes, get this. I played with two teams of Orcs, and me as the IG, right? Well, I put on resource sharing, and the AI on hard. It was a map of 8, and the rest of the players were all on the same team. THese friggin orks on my team dominated the entire map in less than 10 minutes. All they did was make a shitload of Slugga boys and swarm every single team. It was amazing.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hey, anyone know which Special unit (requiring the relic) is the best? I just used the Eldar's Avatar and I must say it is immensly powerful. But the big question is this: Does it beat the Demon or the Baneblade?

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
Hey, anyone know which Special unit (requiring the relic) is the best? I just used the Eldar's Avatar and I must say it is immensly powerful. But the big question is this: Does it beat the Demon or the Baneblade?

The avatar is useful because it gives passive bonuses to your entire infrastructure, but on the field, it'll get raped by any of the other superunits. The strongest superunit, to me, is still going to be the assault terminator. You can mass those and they will stunlock everything, including your avatar and baneblade.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Holy shit, I just got this. IG are so uber-powerful it's not even funny.

5 guardsmen+Commissar can CC a squad of 5 Chaos Space Marines (with furious charge) and win without losing A SINGLE SOLDIER. Also, a squad of 4 gaurdsmen+commissar+2 grenade launchers can ALSO own a squad of 5-6 marines with no casualties, this is BEFORE the upgrade that gives them double damage.
Commissar has a bullshit healing aura, and commissars do massive damage to buildings. That's right, IG has 3 tier-1 commander units with a healing aura, massive damage to buildings, and lets the squad they are attatched to ignore morale damage. Then you get to tier 2, and you've got uber-guardsmen, and now you've got hellhounds, which are so powerful and cheap it's not even funny. Cheap, fast, powerful sentinels for anti-tank duty.Then, if you make it to tier 3 without dominating the game, you've got kasrkins, which mow down everything so quickly it's no contest(especially if you add priests, or commissars if your original guard squads have somehow managed to die to, say, assault terminators). Add into that mix basilisks for pinpoint accurate artillary fire and later, Leman Russes, then the Baneblade, holy shit.

Also, I forgot. Command squad+1 commie+Priests = unstoppable

Don't believe me? Okay, try this.
Play Mortalis, since it's a close map so you don't have to fuss about. Make 2 infantry squads (give each squad 2 or 3 extra guys), Infantry Command, 2 commissars, generator, 1 extra techpriest to make listening posts, then the tactica control. After you've capped your score points nearby, attach your commies to your squads, set them to CC, and attack the enemy base while you are upgrading them to grenade launchers. When you've got grenade launchers, switch to Ranged, and let loose on the enemy. They will die almost instantly. Make a third IG squad+commissar somewhere along the line. Go to CC and get their buildings, ignoring any reinforcements they create. You should barely have to reinforce your units. You win.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
They're releasing a patch, and they're fixing everything except the Guard's amazing CC ability (don't read this as "they are fixing tons of stuff!"). They are reducing damage vs. buildings for CC guardsmen, but otherwise, 5 guardsmen + commissar can take on 7 chaos space marines with furious charge in CC. It might not be so bad if the guard couldn't have 3 commissars, and they weren't so cheap. Hooray for balance!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom