Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Etrian Odyssey 4 demo up for US/Canada 3DS E-Shop Update: EU Release Confirmed!

Coriolanus

Learned
I've been playing EO1 lately (guess it's relevant in a remake thread). Had to take a break from Dark Spire when I realized that I had made the fatal mistake of making my rogue a halfling (playing without guides - the fool!) - a race that turned out to need an INSANE amount of grind just to get a prestige class (insert FFUUUU.jpg). I assumed it would all work out in the end until that fat "fuck you for thinking halfling rogue could be viable" in my face.

To make up for it I rolled out EO1 with all the help gamefaqs.com could offer and going for super-optimal builds, Strata 2 and I'm having fun so far. Never shall I play another Jap crawler blind, no thanks.

By the way, is there a way to hack stats in Dark Spire? Getting +1 to strength somehow would save me days of boredom.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Are any other eurobros playing EO4? I took down the Berserker King yesterday and skinny dipped into the 2nd area of the game. Starting to re-look at my party composition. I feel like it may be a bit too strong, but also a bit generic so I'm thinking of spicing things up when I finally unlock the Arcanist.
Currently I have a Fortress and Night Stalker in the F. Row and Medic, Sniper and Rune Master in the B. Row. The Fortress focuses on taunting and tanking with the Medic throwing heals when needed and the Sniper binding arms. The big baddies have trouble getting off even one punch against me before they die. Berserker King didn't get a chance to hit me even once. It's a good setup so far, but feels a bit too tank and spank-y.

deuxhero

Arcane
My party was that but with a dancer in the front over a sniper, and it was hideously weak in boss fights.

Binding arms is just really useful.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I finally got to the 3rd Stratum today, but halted progression to tune up my party. First I leveled an Arcanist to level 20, then I retired my whole party so they could get down to his level. Now I have my Nightseeker and Rune Master in the F.Row and Medic, Arcanist and Fortress in the B.Row. I realized a few days ago that there was no downside to putting the tank in the back. Her damage is shit anyway so I just stuck her in the back to draw aggro and take even less damage than she would in the front row. Before resting I got to check out my NS at level 40. Auto-Spread + Venom Throw = 700 damage to everyone in the first round and every round as long as the poison sticks. I'm not sure there will be any random encounters that can stop me once I get back to that point. FOE's get shredded if they get afflicted by poison as well.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Omg this gaem has furries, 0/10 would not play.

Anyway, I'm at the start of the 4th Stratum. Was feeling pretty balsy until the lizard king TPKed me and to add suspense I killed him too, but his buddies were still standing. These games :love:

I'm running:

Arcanist - retired a medic and got one, binds and passive heals, binds are great because they actually work on bosses but this character is kinda boring, just sits there doing nothin after casting a circle. Subbed to medic, but that hardly makes her more exciting.
Bushi - I just made one after kicking out Fortress, have no idea what to do with it yet, as it's still below lvl40. Actually I plan to make him a normal attack boss so I subbed dancer for evasion, multiple strikes and stun chance.
Landsknecht - my impressions from demo were correct - most useful character and I'm not even using the stronger option (links). Still - Vanguard + Break + Sword Tempest = raep.
Nightseeker - after hitting lvl 40 this class completely trivializes random encounters via poison and spread throw, is still kinda shit against big baddies, because you just spend turns trying to land an ailment and when you finally manage the fight is over, because you already won/lost.
Sniper - second best combo after Knecht, Eagle Eye + Leg Snipe + Squall Volley, with most hits being critics. Tasty. But I maxed Chase Bind and it's pretty shit, bad choice.

I I realized a few days ago that there was no downside to putting the tank in the back.
Aren't two best F's skills only usable in front row? I mean the class skill that basically gives unlimited TP and the final passive "shield" skill that can completely nullify both physical and magic damage.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really enjoy the game, but as always I suck terribly at picking overpowered skill combos, so all my characters are mediocre - the same scenario keeps repeating in all installments, some time around the 3rd Stratum my bad choices catch up to and make it too difficult to continue (even the 2nd Stratum boss dies because I massively overleveled (lvl 35 instead of the 28 the game supposes you are)). I can waste regular mobs alright, but FOEs and bosses are a pain, even if the GUI claims that they are easy. Oh well, I've just subclassed my medic into a arcanist and nightseeker into a dnacer (for the Eva Up passive), we'll see if it will help.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Aren't two best F's skills only usable in front row? I mean the class skill that basically gives unlimited TP and the final passive "shield" skill that can completely nullify both physical and magic damage.

The passive skill doesn't give you unlimited TP, and I never even noticed the TP regen procing when using shield skills to tank damage. Maybe it doesn't? Auto-Taunt and just sit in the back row = tanking your shit all day long.
I've been a bit burned out with the game so I haven't touched it for a while. I got to the 3rd stratum boss and have been sitting there for a while. I need to grind levels for some skills I need in order to survive his onslaught, but I'm too lazy to do that right now. I can kill those Shiny Icy Pincers pretty easy by bleah to that for now. Considering picking up Soul Hackers which is released this Friday so we'll see when I get back to this game.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Not only do EO's past 1 let you respec, the respec cost actually gets reduced with every game. It's like the game devs knew the weaknesses of their system.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The passive skill doesn't give you unlimited TP, and I never even noticed the TP regen procing when using shield skills to tank damage. Maybe it doesn't? Auto-Taunt and just sit in the back row = tanking your shit all day long.
Wait, why do I tank from the front row..?

FUCK.
:x

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I really enjoy the game, but as always I suck terribly at picking overpowered skill combos, so all my characters are mediocre
Eo IV is much more manageable than previous parts, where there really were a lot of skills that sounded 10/10 but turned out 2/10 when you put points in them. Still, don't be shy to use a skill calculator, although the one for EOIV is pretty incomplete at this point.
Oh well, I've just subclassed my medic into a arcanist and nightseeker into a dnacer (for the Eva Up passive), we'll see if it will help.
Do mind that speed up passive supposedly cancels eva up passive due to a bug. I don't know if it's screwed up with subclassing too, you'd have to check. And I believe Arcanist is a much better sub for NS because ailment boost and tp return. And having the "avoid ailments/binds" passive for someone in the front row is cool too.
Do EO's past 1 let you "rest" (aka respec)?
They do and in EOIV it only costs 2 levels which you can quickly regain fighting golden overworld FOEs with holy gift burst.

The passive skill doesn't give you unlimited TP
But it does, even one point into it. You just run into an easy random encounter, cast taunt (2tp) and defend for a couple of turns - voila.
and I never even noticed the TP regen procing when using shield skills to tank damage. Maybe it doesn't?
I don't know why you didn't notice it because it does work, 100% trigger rate too. Perhaps the digital EU version I'm running is patched or sth (no one will sell a game like that in potato...)
Auto-Taunt and just sit in the back row = tanking your shit all day long.
Unfortunately for taunt, like in all previous instalments, it's useless when it comes to the real deal - massive aoe attacks that can wipe out your whole party.

Oh, and F's offence is not the greatest, but maxed holy smite was still pretty sweet. Healed about 200hp per hit which is a lot.

But yes, I do see a reason for putting F in back row, halved dmg is good. But that final shield passive I mentioned is golden too.
I've been a bit burned out with the game so I haven't touched it for a while. I got to the 3rd stratum boss and have been sitting there for a while. I need to grind levels for some skills I need in order to survive his onslaught, but I'm too lazy to do that right now.
I beat that fucker on full health and only then learned that you can freeze it and halve its hp by destroying the big heat scale on B3F:lol: Have a head bind with black mist burst and enough offensive power to drain its hp before it unbinds and starts spamming the ridiculous fire aoe attack.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Considering picking up Soul Hackers which is released this Friday so we'll see when I get back to this game.
It will be only on 25th. :mad:

I already got my copy yesterday. Might make a thread about it later. Once again, though, I managed to get the one and only copy of the game that the store had bothered to order.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom