Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Etrian Odyssey IV in motion

Repressed Homosexual
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201203/06011032.html

Skip ahead to 0:30 in the Flash video to see the new classes and clips of the game.

Nice that we're finally getting fully animated battles, though I hope the battles will remain very speedy. Looks better than I thought it would. It looks like there will be a modern sounding sountrack as well (although the old chiptunes had their charm).

Finally will get some use out of that 3DS.

Renegen

Arcane
The game looks great and I don't necessarily blame them for trying to expand the audience, but the more I see of it, the more I hate the new class system. It looks like a reworded EO1&2 class system, and that's so cliche.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't bought a 3DS yet, will wait for more good games to come out for it, but the game does look nice. I wonder why they would switch back to the EO1/2 system, though. That just doesn't make much sense to me.

made

Arcane
Do you ppl understand Japanese or how can you tell how the class system works based on that clip? Maybe they just use the old classes but with different skills.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I just hope they make it less grindy and repetitive than the last ones.

Repressed Homosexual
Battle music

Not bad, but it sounds like trying too hard and also too out of place for such a minimalistic game.

Definitely prefered the older chiptune, though they're trying to make it sound somewhat like it.

Battle video

Fast-paced, pretty good

Dancer class

As always, it's full of 9 year-old girls. Would it kill them to at least make them look older? But no they won't, because with these games, figurine sales generate nearly as much profit as the game sales themselves.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It sucks that I'm forced to buy a shitty 3DS to play this. But if it is successful there'll probably be many more games like this, just like on the DS.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I too am waiting for more games to be released for the 3DS before I buy it. Another interesting title seems to be coming, by the way: Unchained Blades (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/26/the-big-role-playing-games-of-2012, scroll down a bit). "The game itself is an old-school dungeon crawler. You'll face off against hand-drawn enemies in turn-based combat, explore caves and caverns with a first-person perspective and use the unique "Unchain" mechanic to try to convince monsters to stop fighting you and join up with your party of heroes instead."

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I recently finished Etrian Odyssey III and it was definitely the best retail crpg I played since... I don't know how long. Too bad this is on 3DS and the 3d battle graphics look like a decline.

The biggest problem of the 3DS is that it does not have enough good games, so more releases like this one I say.

The biggest problem of the 3DS is that it's based on a stupid gimmick that no sane person gives a shit about. Considering the fact that I already own DS Lite, why should I pay extra bucks (quite a lot of them, actually) for something I won't even use. Even the graphics in this seem to look worse.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, but I could justify the purchase (at least to myself) if there were any games that I wanted to play - people could after all make games that would ignore the stupid 3D gimmick and just go with the core gameboy gameplay, god knows there were lots of such games on the DS. So far there are putting out remakes of games I had no desire to play when they came out originally and stupid tech demos disguised as entertainment.

Also: where is my Ace Investigation 2, Capcom, you bastards?

dragonbait

Augur
I've got a nintendo ds and use it to play Dark Spire, Korg DS-10 and also hook it up with arcade game boy advance games. I've been aware of the Etrian Odyssey games for a while now, but just can't seem to get enthusiastic enough to try them. Those cutesie cartoonish anime style character graphics just seem to get in the way. No, I don't think I can ever get around that. And that keeps me from even trying most rpg style games from Japan. I wish Japan would lose the cutsie cartoon anime bullshit and just release some serious hardcore rpgs instead.

Suicidal

Arcane
I wish Japan would lose the cutsie cartoon anime bullshit and just release some serious hardcore rpgs instead.

Cutsey art style does not prevent a game from being a hardcore RPG, y'know?

Not saying that EO is hardcore - actually the game is quite easy (I have only played EO1 and dropped it halfway through the 4th dungeon due to lack of time, so my experience is limited, maybe), but, let's face it, apart from the occasional indie game, nothing of comparable quality comes out on the PC anymore.

Repressed Homosexual
eo4_faithful_announcement_1.jpg

Lightknight

Liturgist
You literally could set it to autogrind for you and leave the thing there for twenty minutes.
You literally couldnt.

Do you ppl understand Japanese
What's to understand, pretty much entire interactive part of the game is in kana anyway (like most japanese games are, actually), you could learn it in a day or two.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I'm pretty excited for EOIV and Unchained Blades. Evdk, you're getting a Lot of BROFISTS! from me today.

Correct answer!

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I wish they'd drop the Weeaboo art style! The Poke-dex has worn thin.

Let's have Pikachu grow into a full-fledge Dino already!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom