Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Examples of Good/Terrible Evil Rewards?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I could be wrong, except for a select few, there is almost no 'good' evil quests available, in terms of execution and reward it always seemed like the least rewarding.

It seems the devs insists on 'Greed is Evil' statement that I come across so many evil options demanding more and more rewards. So I'm supposed to be this guy who just...want more gold. And I am percieved as evil by doing so...err ok.

Some are even off-the-scale such as Obsidians 'Hey, you can slit the throats of your neighbours when your village is under attack' Wow, random much?

Arcanum despite its diverse universe and sometimes interesting diplomacy quests does not offer much to the evil. Main quests are handled with sometimes violent confrontations and the branching at the end is ultimately evil , good , or 'fuck everyone' philosophy. Conjure spirit is a nice touch. But let's look at the side quests. None of the side quests offer much in terms of evil. And playing a short tempered half orc seemed....one dimensional. I get insulted. Fight ensues. Someone dies. Or even worse, Elven shopkeepers attack me on sight. It was...a little out of place. With many guards interfering and I was given no chance to explain 'It was self defence!' which led to more dead guards on the streets of Tarant.

Bloodlines had some interesting choices. Upholding the Masquarade forces you to be ruthless. And some sidequests are inherently evil, but the world doesn't seem to react much to it aside from the involved parties, no one seemed to care that you are one of those 'no-nonsense-upholder of the masquarade' (Maybe except for the prince) or one of those less humane Gangrel who went into blood frenzy easily.

Kavax

Scholar
Becoming a slaver in Fallout 2... it gives good money for that early in the game.

And becoming a made man, unless it is of the Wrights' family.

RK47

Patron
Hahah Fallout 2 slaver was interesting option at the start, but gets severely retarded later on when they forced you to have a tatto on your forehead telling everyone you're a "SLAVER"

I look back and never felt being a Slaver was worth it except for the off chance of picking up a hunting rifle early.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Well, I'd say that MotB certainly gives a lot of good opportunities to be truly evil and gives you some hefty rewards for it. I can't really think of anything fantastic that you get for being good all the time, aside from Bestow Life Force which makes the final battle really simple no matter how gimped your character is. Simply the number of essences you would get, the sheer number of them plus all the unique ones, from devouring everyone should certainly make being evil worth it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's right. MotB had a pretty good path for characters who gave in to the spirit-eater.

Destroid

Arcane
I have read some material (can't remember where) stating that the vast majority of players play on the good side in games - to most developers it would seem a waste of money to cater much development time to content only a small percentage of players will actually see. The logical conclusion is that an RPG with a predefined evil character is required to see fully fleshed out evil content.

deuxhero

Arcane
I found that in MoTB it was impossible to play a evil character without being a spirt eater.

My first character tried that, wound up LG by endgame (started LE)

As to the above, it is because the existing ones are so poor and gimb the game if you do them, and aren't worth replaying for, so no one ever tries them.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I find that most games fail to make a good "evil" path which makes people feel cool. In most games, being evil often either means chaotic stupid or mind retarded, or the choices are often poor or cliched, like selling people out for some measly money which doesn't help in the long run.

If there is some intelligent evil option it would be grand. Like DND devils, you use brains to scheme and manipulate, and you don't need to kill anyone who oppose you (you are not a murderer, but an evil genius) - instead you "convert" them to your cause with blackmails or Stockholm syndrome. In the end everyone wins, everyone lives, and your hands are clean - but it's far from being "good".

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
deuxhero said:
I found that in MoTB it was impossible to play a evil character without being a spirt eater.

My first character tried that, wound up LG by endgame (started LE)

As to the above, it is because the existing ones are so poor and gimb the game if you do them, and aren't worth replaying for, so no one ever tries them.

But you're simply talking about meta-gaming what their alignment tracker tells you.

Unless you were a class that couldn't be good or had to be evil (Red Wizard, Assassin, or Blackguard, I don't know of any others), who cares if the game says your actions are good when your motivations are not? You are bitching about the way the game tracks alignment and now how it restricts you from actually role-playing an evil character. Bitch about that all you want, or get a mod to change it, but it doesn't change the role-playing at all unless it hindered your level progression in a certain class.

If your character just wants to be rid of the curse, then you can just suppress, suppress, suppress and ignore the alignment shifts. But if you're being all goody-goody and sacrificing your spirit energy to heal the Wood Man and other BS like that then you can't call yourself evil. I'm sure it probably would make the game harder, too, but if you're not willing to accept the power of the gift and you're not willing to actually turn the curse into a blessing for others, then you deserve for the game to be much more difficult for you.

And I'm pretty sure you can role-play that right to the very end and simply rid yourself of the curse and let some other poor sucker deal with it.

Texas Red

Whiner
One of the best evil ideas was the Grimoire in PS:T. If you read it, it gave you evil advise and you lost your alignment. Unfortunately the rewards(spells) it gave in you exchange of, for example, selling a companion were pitiful. Much more could have been done with this.

Korgan

Arbiter
Yeah, MOTB has great rewards for an evil PC, but the problem is, they don't come naturally as an outcome of your selfish actions. Instead, you are rewarded simply for being a cruel bastard - eating spirits you don't really need to survive, sadistic behavior and shit. It's the diffirence between robbing and murdering random people and getting paid for murdering them by some rich psycho.

LCJr.

Erudite
Arcanum, just stupid and a very bad reward. Finding the guys gold ring quest in Tarant. Because you're evil you decide to keep the ring. We all know how evil petty theft is. This of course prompts him to attack you despite the fact you're usually decently armed and not alone at this point. Now even though this idiot has decided to take the law into his own hands and assualt you the game considers you the bad guy for defending yourself.

I personally feel Troika was pretty much admitting the whole evil thing was botched with the "Sold your soul" background.

I can't really think of any game with a good evil storyline. GTA series maybe?

More Tolkien influence I guess, the small band of heroes taking on the great evil.

Mister Takeda

Educated
Machiavellian evil schemes are beyond the scope of most game designers to begin with. Consider the depth of motivation present in most villains in their games, then consider how much more difficult it would be for them to make even their two-dimensional plots happen step by step, in an interactive fashion.

Game developers don't grasp that sort of subtle planning. You're lucky when the villain of the game, who you might get a chance to side with, wants to do more than destroy the world, or rule it while wringing his hands and cackling EVALLY.

Arcanum let you join up with Kerghan at the end, or side with the Dark Elves prior to that. Not the worst "evil" quests I've ever seen in a game.

RK47

Patron
betraying bates lead to bounty hunters random encounters outside town and reduced reactions in Tarant. And on top of that I have to pay Captain Teach to take me to isle of Despair 500 g. Oh wow, what do I get out of this? 500 g. Amazing!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom