Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FALLOUT 1? BLACKOUT!

elander_

Arbiter
Atrokkus said:
5. Running Fallout in DosBox. Well, I'll try that, but not sure of the results...

Theres a cvs version of dosbox that uses pixels shaders and hardware acceleration. You could try that instead of the usual version. Sorry but i don't know the link to it.

I believe the latest version of dosbox already includes that stuff.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Fallout runs perfectly fine on XP, at least for me. I recently tried it. Without any compatibility settings.

[RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE]

This has probably been mentioned somewhere on the interweb already, but Timeslip's engine tweaks finally corrected my blackout issues.

I'm sure you all waited with bated breath to know that.

Tails

Arbiter
On Linux Fallout works almost perfect under Wine. Sometimes on other versions gets little slowdown but with command
Code:
WINEDEBUG=-all nice -20 wine falloutw.exe
Everything works ok. By Wine is possible to launch Fallout in window, and there is no slowdown like under D3DWindower (tested my self).
About D3DW it strange that Fallout work so slow and Arcanum normal.

denizsi

Arcane
XP Pro with SP2 and all updates on a system with an ATI card, and no problems here whatsoever.

denizsi said:
XP Pro with SP2 and all updates on a system with an ATI card, and no problems here whatsoever.

See, I have a similar configuration (I have MCE) and received the blackouts. I don't think its directly OS or graphics card related, but from my testing it seems to be a background service/program that causes it (as to which, I don't know). It isn't any of the essential Microsoft services, because before the engine tweak was released I would play Fallout without any blackouts by performing a clean boot. [Talking out of my ass alert:] That background service/program in some way interferes with the Directdraw Fallout uses; using the DX9 renderer in Timeslip's engine tweak finally gets rid of the blackouts for me.

denizsi

Arcane
By the way, I'm still on a s478 P4 system. I don't know if that may also have something to do with the issue.

Rulion

Liturgist
I always get this. ALT-TABing is the quickest fix. I believe opening up the character menu works too.

Rulion said:
I always get this. ALT-TABing is the quickest fix. I believe opening up the character menu works too.

Yeah, it does. If you got them as frequently as I did though (every 15-30 seconds), it gets annoying really fast, and had put me off playing it again. If at some point you give Fallout another go, give the engine tweak a shot and just be done with the annoying blackouts for good. The only thing you would miss out on would be the movies, which there are scant few of anyway and of which you've probably seen dozens of times before already.

I noticed a config file in my fallout directory called ddraw... I change graphics mode from 0 to 5 (dx9 windowed). When I ran Fallout after that, it started in windowed mode and there was no blackouts... for now. :)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yep, I played recently both fallouts with the unofficial patches and timeslip's engine tweaks and they run flawlessly on XP.

I noticed a config file in my fallout directory called ddraw... I change graphics mode from 0 to 5 (dx9 windowed). When I ran Fallout after that, it started in windowed mode and there was no blackouts... for now.
Good, you finally noticed that you have installed timeslip's tweaks.

Vipera

Scholar
Okay, my Fallout torrent isn't working since I switched to Vista. I'm using Daemon Tools Lite as an emulator for the .iso file and the game seems to think that I have no free space, saying that I need at least 20MB. I tried inserting "free_space=1" in the config file but that didn't fix it.

HALP

Fezzik

Cipher
Googling leads to this. There appears to be a solution under "Insufficient Disk Space Error."

It looks like you've already tried one of the solutions there, but maybe the other one will work.

denizsi

Arcane
Has anyone tried running similarly old games under Win7 that could be run under XP without hassle? I may soon make the move for good.

Wheelebigger

Novice
i know im not any help.. i guess, i was encountering the problem myself, and started searching for a fix to my problem.
i tried dxwnd, since i use it for various other games.
tried dosbox
tried compability n stuff
then i tried using sfall, it didnt work either, then i removed it..
to my surprise, now it works, i even tried rebooting my comp, and it still works, i guess i cant tell you why, but well
maybe this could help u?

bhlaab

Erudite
Install the sfall engine tweaks or turn down hardware acceleration in advanced display settings

Wheelebigger

Novice
i play all baldurs gate, all fallout, all icewind dale, and soon arcanum on vista, it works flawlessy, i would recommend that u get a no cd path, cause my cds are really scratched

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom