Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 mods that are playable in English

Beans00

Augur

3. Tanker is not that easy to find (only Salt Lake, I believe a high level is needed) and I am not sure if this gauss pistol is any better than a sniper rifle (which is the best small gun until you get gauss IMO).

From Russian wiki: gauss PPK5 damage: 10-20
Sniper rifle: 14-34

Mind you sniper takes 2AP more to shoot! So gauss pistol is still a decent support weapon.

Still - energy guns are just better; both as a support and main gun.

Turbo Plasma: 35-70 (and ammo under every rock)
Gauss rifle: 32-43 (ammo heavy limited, gun obtained during endgame)

It's also worth mentioning that plasma rifle is also not that easy to find - actually, the only plasma you can find without grinding random encounters is one quest that can be finished quite late (I might be wrong about this, but please feel free to correct me).

I don't think I ever found a plasma rifle in nevada(I didn't have energy weapons anyways). I got the gauss pistol early before going to new reno.I found it early on while hunting the legendary scorpion. All you need to do is be able to kill a centaur, which I did with the old revolver and 10mm smg. The encounter is fairly common.

I got my first sniper rifle in that raider base near las vegas? So way later in the game.

deama I wish lol. There's an enclave mod for fallout tactics https://www.moddb.com/mods/enclave-mod. No idea if it's any good.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Enclave for Fallout Tactics is unfinished project that's mostly throwing various ideas and concepts. Some of them

First level is the best - you're escaping from heavily guarded prison without weapons and even with them you're outnumbered and outgunned. For those who wanted to experience more sneaky a'la Commandos aspect of FoT.
Final (5th?) mission take you to the flying zeppelin.
They even started working on the sequel before even finishing the first one, lol. Beside few assets there's nothing more.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Are there any fallout 2 mods with an enclave campaign? Like you joining them and rebuilding in, idk, canada or something.
Unfortunately, I have never heard of such a thing. Although,

1. That's actually one of the possible story lines in F2.
2. Given you already knew of the previous item, and given you also have already visited this:
How-do-you-deal-with-the-disappointment-that-being-a-fallout-fan-brings

I advise to continue your search or asking here:
Fallout 1+2 list of total conversions

Beastro

Arcane
Aand that's Nevada down!

Overall I think I liked it more than Resurrection. It might lack some polish of the original Fallouts, but it's a great game nonetheless. The translation is solid - I did get some WTF moments, but other than a few non-critical cases where it was difficult to grasp what the author had in mind, it was entirely playable.

A few loose thoughts:
- The main story was fairly meh, but Fallouts were ever about their main storylines. Exploration is fun, there's a bunch of side-quests, all in all - good stuff. I think my personal high-point was the initial exploration of the Hawthorne base.
- Some side quests went a bit too hard into adventure game territory. Guessing you need to put a specific barrel on fire (and needing a one-use lighter in your inventory) to sabotage a ranch, or having to walk around using steal on NPCs to solve a fairly big quest in LV are examples of the lack of polish I mentioned.
- I went with an unarmed/ speech/ repair built, with some points put into science once I realized it's fairly useful here. There seems to be a lot to do for doctors and a bunch of doors to open for high-lockpick characters. Funnily enough, the few times I wanted to plant a bomb into someone's pants or steal a quest item, I succeeded every time despite not putting a single point in steal. Frankly, I have no idea how characters without repair would fare, this was probably one of my most often used non-combat skills.
- Unarmed was... OK, but lacked the necessary oomph until I grabbed a power fist from Machete which I quickly upgraded. The turrets at the end gave me a bunch of problems, I ended up savescum-popamoling EMP grenades. Good thing there was a way to temporarily deactivate a bunch of those in the ending location.
- Frankly, it feels as though the game was developed with energy gun users in mind. There is a bunch of those around, with some sensible early grabs. Energy guns/ speech/ repair, with some points put into lockpick, science, and doctor seem to be the way to go for the game.
- I have no idea what the infection stuff was about, I ended up hitting up a doctor or the NR autodoc to remove it now and then.
- I assembled the power armor at the end but ended up using a guide to identify necessary parts. Garage-made power armor gets me hard. It still felt less protective than I'd like it to, more like an armored environmental suit than a walking tank. I guess this could've been by design?
- The combat felt a bit odd. It managed to hit the sweet spot at the beginning, then became a bit too difficult until I grabbed the power fist/ slayer/ martial arts combo and was then a complete joke almost until the very end. Still, once the turrets showed up I was getting massacred anyway, there seemed to be no real way to withstand this sort of firepower, even while having PA, toughness, and being high on Psycho.
- I'm not sure how I felt about the way armor was doled out here. I liked the fact that you could put together an initial leather jacket and what ultimately was an improved leather armor but found little to switch to until I hit Salt Lake. The Nuka Cola repairman let me upgrade the metal armor to mk2, then reinforce and teslify it. Made me wonder, though - was there any combat armor available before the end-game dungeon?
- The Big Louis character was odd. Not sure what the author had in mind while writing him up. I ended up needing to dickpunch him to death on our first meeting, as my karma was too high, despite him being shown as a sort of antihero character that ultimately aims for peace and stability. Or this might be just the translation fucking with me.
- I'm not sure how I feel about the three-fold ending. Finishing the dungeon and then pulping the Reaper (what the fuck was that thing with his once-used Jedi powers?) felt like enough, following VC scenes felt unnecessary.

I feel like I have enough in me for one F2 mod. I guess I might take a shot at Sonora, then, AFAIK it's by the same author, right?

I'm about halfway now and it's starting to lag. Given what I know of the ending and its reputation chances are good I'm probably not going to press on past to the ending. It's sad because I really enjoyed the beginning, far more than I did with Sonora, but Sonora kept improving while this has slowly declined.

Not enough combat and it feels off. I got a Pancor and it's feeling weak as is the police energy pistol. Making me feel like wandering around for the random encounter and load up on plasma/gauss rifle goodness.

I like the quests but I'm sad there's not enough combat in them. Random encounters don't scratch that itch. Encounters also bug me because they shove you so close to the enemies it offers a sniper no room to make use of their advantages.

They also really messed with range percentages. The drop off with weapons even when up past 120% into a skill is massive. They really want you to stick to close quarters.

I'm enjoying the grenade rifle. I got my hands on the 6 round version and it's fun pumping out 2 rounds a turn just like it was in Sonora. I was already saving up on grenade rounds for it but also started saving em up with the rocket launcher too.

I really like the idea of the lockers you can access for easy storage in the big towns. It's the right mix of time spent opening them for the advantage you gain to warrant doing without being meaningless or too hard. Just sit down and take a few minutes of downtime to unlock. Wish Sonora continued this.

As for Combat Armour:

- I'm not sure how I felt about the way armor was doled out here. I liked the fact that you could put together an initial leather jacket and what ultimately was an improved leather armor but found little to switch to until I hit Salt Lake. The Nuka Cola repairman let me upgrade the metal armor to mk2, then reinforce and teslify it. Made me wonder, though - was there any combat armor available before the end-game dungeon?

The Vault City vault component auest offers some combat armour. By then I had a bad feeling about the armour being doled out and looked it up to see where I might get the next chance for some and wound up choosing it.

Krivol

Magister
There is one in Salt Lake for free, you just need:

Use your radio in the Sheriff's district, find a source of the signal, use a metal detector and voila!

As for The Vault City vault component quest:

It's the only way to get a plasma rifle in a regular way ;)

jackofshadows

Magister
Just finished Resurrection. Quite poor graphics wise and location design wise (although the asset reuse is very well done) compared to the other global mods I've played but awesome in quest design department, the writing and overall design, the "mood" also. I very much enjoyed this to my surprise.

Especially impressive the scumbag options in this game, they aren't presented as comically evil, no - straight up evil or cynically pragmatic as they should be.

Beastro

Arcane
There is one in Salt Lake for free, you just need:

Use your radio in the Sheriff's district, find a source of the signal, use a metal detector and voila!
I looked:

That's not Combat Armour, it's Police Armour. Almost as good, but slightly worse.

Incidentally, I swung by Vegas to offload some gear and found a dialogue path with the merchant at the parking lot opened by high barter. Passing it reveals the stock he keeps for the police which includes a plasma rifle for 18k, a laser rifle for 12k, a sniper rifle and other stuff, but what stood out was he also sold 100 rounds of gauss rifle ammo which I snatched up asap knowing it's hard to get in the mod. Hopefully he'll restock with that, but if not, 100 is a good starter amount.

I dumped all my extra gear including my Pancor and the police armour you mentioned into grabbing the two weapons I priced. I figured the laser rifle might be needed at times with turrets, I just wish I could use it more at range in typical combat as I like sniping.

Anyway, I have a plasma rifle and combat armour now, only problem is the juggling micro fusion cells with the car as the more abundant energy ammo gets gobbled up like popcorn.

Dude just so happens to sell the directions to a ghoul that'll fix the fuel efficiency problem, too!

deama

Prophet
Are there any fallout 2 mods with an enclave campaign? Like you joining them and rebuilding in, idk, canada or something.
Unfortunately, I have never heard of such a thing. Although,

1. That's actually one of the possible story lines in F2.
2. Given you already knew of the previous item, and given you also have already visited this:
How-do-you-deal-with-the-disappointment-that-being-a-fallout-fan-brings

I advise to continue your search or asking here:
Fallout 1+2 list of total conversions
Couldn't really find anything interesting for fallout 1/2 but I have found something interesting for fallout 4 though:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/75767

America rising 2, adds like 24+ quests for the enclave faction you can join.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
#Fallout Nevada
Can someone give me a small hint on how to solve that Gary Gilmore quest in Provo? I don't want to look at the walkthrough.
I should think that it'd be something like acquiring cuffs? Or perhaps planting something on him?
I have not seen any cuffs yet, though, and I've been to nearly every place on the world map. 15th level.
The dude even admits to everything (gorgeous piece of writing there, btw), but there's just no option to drag him back to Salt Lake, and the line "Force justice on him." did nothing.
Now, I can't even talk to him. When clicked upon, he just repeats one of those red texts, which are supposed to show how he is angry and doesn't want to talk.

jackofshadows

Magister
So I was finishing up Nevada and then in a cut scene (so "love" them in Fallout games by the way) my slave went to take a shit and it's... just hanged there. Bugged out or something. Probably because I killed the Reaper but that seemed like a legit option? Anyway, not gonna try something else etc, the end game was pants on head retarded as the plot itself mostly.

Overall there was some good stuff in there for sure, especially I liked exploring military sites, liked some quests although I've done I think the minority of them, too much quests even I'd say for my taste plus some were fetch/stupid ones, some with a very weird modder logic. And speaking of which, this game suffers from modder stink so strongly. So many questionable or unnecessary changes/additions it's insane. To give a small, inoffensive example: rocket's weight is 2 pounds instead of 1. Fucking... why. Okay, how about example which almost got me to rage quit: the doors in every building at area 51 which open and close... by themselves so you are actually suppose to stay there like a fucking sheep and wait for them to open and then again and again. Just what's in those people's heads? So much autism of the worst kind, man. Or how about plenty of locks you just cannot open with lockpick skill. You just can't, fuck you! Go search "another way" to open them. Jesus fuck I so hate when the rules of the game are changing as the game plays out. You need to ensure your systems are in place and are working and let the player you know, play with them. But these guys - no, they apparently grew up on some console games or whatever and are trying to provide "experience" instead of pure gameplay. Tl;dr: storyfags ruin everything.

I'll drop the rest two screenshots not to clutter up dedicated thread.
image.png

image.png

Last edited:

Beans00

Augur
rocket's weight is 2 pounds instead of 1. Fucking... why. Okay, how about example which almost got me to rage quit: the doors in every building at area 51 which open and close...
It's been like 2-3 years since I played nevada buy

In area 51 I'm 75% sure there is a way to fix the doors, either by repairing a generator or science on a computer.

Also I'm surprised you had enough rockets to even run into that problem. I couldn't get enough ammo to use any big gun reliably, and basically used a gauss pistol/ different .223 rifles or combat shotgun/pancor for the entire game.

Agree on the plot being retarded with the clones and the president with the 'my precious' thing.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The Vault City vault component auest offers some combat armour. By then I had a bad feeling about the armour being doled out and looked it up to see where I might get the next chance for some and wound up choosing it.

Oh, I must've not completed this one, then. I think this might become unfinishable once you find Jay?

OK, yeah, I gave up on trying to scan things with a radio/ metal detector relatively early. Still, it does feel a bit convoluted.

Dunno, it feels like there might've been quite a few poor sods who weren't able to upgrade beyond the metal armor until the very endgame.
#Fallout Nevada
Can someone give me a small hint on how to solve that Gary Gilmore quest in Provo? I don't want to look at the walkthrough.
I should think that it'd be something like acquiring cuffs? Or perhaps planting something on him?
I have not seen any cuffs yet, though, and I've been to nearly every place on the world map. 15th level.
The dude even admits to everything (gorgeous piece of writing there, btw), but there's just no option to drag him back to Salt Lake, and the line "Force justice on him." did nothing.
Now, I can't even talk to him. When clicked upon, he just repeats one of those red texts, which are supposed to show how he is angry and doesn't want to talk.
The only way to get him back alive is to have high enough Speech, I think. Otherwise, you can just deliver his head.

I gave up on Sonora, BTW. Gameplay-wise it seemed to be at about the same level as Nevada (although I visited, like, four locations), but the translation was too much for me. With Nevada, you occasionally got those moments where you weren't really sure about what exactly the author wanted the character to say, but at least you got the general sense of what the dialogue option is trying to accomplish. Sonora can be like a weird dream you can't wake up from. I mean, it's not unplayable but it just ticked me off the wrong way. I guess you could just try doing a low INT playthrough and apply violence to any problems you come across.

BTW, there seem to be quite a few situations where you need to choose between Rangers and Phoenix allegiance - is there some sort of "Great Villa" route?

jackofshadows

Magister
In area 51 I'm 75% sure there is a way to fix the doors, either by repairing a generator or science on a computer.
They work that way after you fix the generator. Before that they don't work at all.
Also I'm surprised you had enough rockets to even run into that problem. I couldn't get enough ammo to use any big gun reliably, and basically used a gauss pistol/ different .223 rifles or combat shotgun/pancor for the entire game.
Well, I buy out stuff for heavy weps wherever I can, that's a part of the game. Flamethrower helps a lot as a go to weapon since you can buy like 30 fuel units per time and its damage is pretty high (even if nerfed compared to OG).
I guess you could just try doing a low INT playthrough and apply violence to any problems you come across.
Not really I'd say. Both Sonora and Nevada are so to say storyfag Fallout mods.

Beastro

Arcane

Oh, I must've not completed this one, then. I think this might become unfinishable once you find Jay?
Nope. All the pieces are free to grab (except for the one sold at the Dam) from the appropriate vaults, they can just be a pain to find.

I finished mine after meeting up with him at Hawthorne.

OK, yeah, I gave up on trying to scan things with a radio/ metal detector relatively early. Still, it does feel a bit convoluted

There's A LOT of unique items you can get from it. Too many as in "more than the rest of the game combined" too many. That amount should have been put behind repair schematics rather than the few you can build yourself or spread more evenly through out the game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom