Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: get your skills out of my FPS

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://fallout3.wordpress.com/2008/08/0 ... re-detail/

What was said recently, by both Todd and me, is that in real-time, skill affects chance to hit less than it used to. This change was made after extensive playtesting. Why? Most everyone found it annoying that you’d have your crosshair over an enemy, and your bullets would go completely wide.
I wonder what else "most everyone" found annoying.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So Luck is a dump stat
Intelligence is a dump stat
Agility is a dump stat
Charisma is a dump stat

and now perception is a dump stat too

All hail almighty Strength (moar lewt I can take yay!) and Endurance (moar HP).

Kraszu

Prophet
I don't like accuracy to be affected by stats allot in my FPS games, it just not work gameplay wise. There are other ways to make stats significant, you could have Arcanum like ability to make your own weapon for example.

LarsTheSurly

Scholar
So Luck is a dump stat
Intelligence is a dump stat
Agility is a dump stat
Charisma is a dump stat

and now perception is a dump stat too

All hail almighty Strength (moar lewt I can take yay!) and Endurance (moar HP).

Thank God they kept the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system intact!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Try using the Fatman indoors and you’re more likely to kill yourself than anyone else.
Oh really?! :shock:
So I hope this answers some of your questions.
Unfortunately, yes.
It’s always a pleasure to surf the forums and see such lively debate… and most of the time I just hang back and watch you guys discuss/ponder (as it should be).
Because you can't read you only watch.

vrok

Liturgist
I guess they've never heard of expanding and contracting the crosshair to reflect accuracy, which would completely solve this "misunderstanding".

Kraszu said:
I don't like accuracy to be affected by stats allot in my FPS games, it just not work gameplay wise.
Deus Ex?

MetalCraze

Arcane
no. They make only the game world retarded. Everything else is dumbed down.

Try using the Fatman indoors and you’re more likely to kill yourself than anyone else.

Holy shit a nuke can actually kill my character! WOW :shock:

Zomg

Arbiter
I think it works pretty well in Mount and Blade, at least once you're out of the very low skill doldrums. Like, for archery, low skill doesn't translate into just missing - what is usually means is that you have to stand still to fire at anything other than point blank range, and you have a longer lag time between when you draw and release, which makes leading targets harder and lowers your rate of fire. Further, low skill means you can't hold a bow at full draw for very long before your virtual arm gets tired and you can no long fire accurately without re-drawing. Higher skill (and relevant "feats") means you can draw rapidly and fire accurately while moving (on horseback, anyway), and you can hold your draw long enough to switch targets or wait for an opponent to drop their shield. There's a qualitative difference between low and high skill.

This even serves to make crossbows a qualitatively relevant weapon, because, just as in history, their virtue is that they're easy to use and they can hold their draw as long as you like.

Interesting, qualitative contingency due to skills? Lol game design.

Kraszu

Prophet
vrok said:
I guess they've never heard of expanding and contracting the crosshair to reflect accuracy, which would completely solve this "misunderstanding".

Kraszu said:
I don't like accuracy to be affected by stats allot in my FPS games, it just not work gameplay wise.
Deus Ex?

It didn't work that well there. I think that there are better gameplay wise ways to have significant character development, and don't get aiming so bad that you can't move and have to wait long before shooting, to get to the point where it is straight line. Both don't work good. That said I don't think that FO3 will have good character development.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I liked Bloodlines ranged combat system. Its brilliant design was proven by all those retarded reviewers who claimed that the firearms are useless. They are, if your skill is low.

Kraszu

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:
I liked Bloodlines ranged combat system. Its brilliant design was proven by all those retarded reviewers who claimed that the firearms are useless. They are, if your skill is low.

How did it work? I had only played melee char.

DraQ

Arcane
vrok said:
That's so last gen. :P

Anyway, they should have done it like in Night's Edge mod for UT:

1.You aim using your weapon's sights.
2. Depending on fatigue (add skills and attributes in FO3) your weapon sways
3. Your weapon fires in the direction it's pointing, rather than the middle of the screen.
4. Profit!

It'd work perfectly, imagine some runt who is also inept at handling big guns trying to fire a machine gun in full auto with this system:
His gun would be knocked around wildly with each bullet fired, effectively resulting in almost uniform spread over the entire FOV. :D

Zomg

Arbiter
Skill affects damage and I think knockdown rate in Bloodlines - shooting is otherwise straight FPS. It's just that first gun you can acquire is terrible and the second is pretty bad.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:

I think the system was OK. I had a firearm skill of 4 or 5 in the first city and hitting stuff with that POS .38 was such a pain and didn't have any reward for all the aiming you have to do with it. Until you get the shotgun you're much better off just using blood buff and a knife.

Later on though it developed pretty well with the 9mm pistol and the colt

Zomg

Arbiter
DraQ said:
Zomg said:
Skill affects damage and I think knockdown rate in Bloodlines - shooting is otherwise straight FPS.
Sounds like oblivion. :?

I watched a combat video on YouTube to refresh my memory, and there is some tightening reticle action in VtMB, meaning that there's a skill-based cone of fire just like in Deus Ex or M&B. I think all the guns have perfect accuracy standing still, but the reticle expands as you move and it takes the reticle longer to retighten after a shot or movement with low skill. The main effect is that novices have to aim more carefully and some of the secondary firing modes are for experts only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom