Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: Prima Official Guide

1eyedking

Erudite
Brother None said:
I don't know if this has been available for a long time and we just missed it, but I think it went up around the same time the Survival Edition was announced. Prima Games - publisher of many official game guides - is doing the Fallout 3 official guide, which will be available October 7.

51NDxxEEokL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
I can already imagine said guide including chapters like:
  • Best Places for Dogmeat to Scavenge
  • Vault Boy Bobbleheads Locations
  • All Batman & Spiderman Easter Eggs
  • LARPing: The Hidden Feature
  • Fatman Fragging 101
  • Squeezing the Most Out of Leveled Encounters
  • Mastering the Minigames
  • Twitchy or Twitcher? When V.A.T.S. Matters
  • The Art of Rocket Jumping
  • etc.

Lingwe

Liturgist
What is funny is that they made a guide for Oblivion. Anyone who needed a guide to play through Oblivion certainly wouldn't have had the capacity to read through a game guide.

deuxhero

Arcane
I would agree, but my head hurts from the paradox resulting from the fact that Oblivion alreddy has built in guides (compass) that are required to be used.

Or that could just be the lack of sleep.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
but i want to know where's the best treasure to get and the highest lvl armour i can get in game as soon as I leave the dungeon! I want it NOW NOW NOW!

Texas Red

Whiner
RK47 said:
but i want to know where's the best treasure to get and the highest lvl armour i can get in game as soon as I leave the dungeon! I want it NOW NOW NOW!

There is none. Everything is scaled.

denizsi

Arcane
How so last generation. They should move on and cooperate with developers to work on integrated guides on the fly. You pay for the guide add-on, and you can look up everything in the game on the fly, in a context sensitive way to what quests are active and what you are doing at that point in the game, what location you are in/on. I mean, who the fuck reads stuff printed on paper anymore, right? There could even be a voice button that reads for you instead of you reading. For $5 more, your a hotshot erotic star will read the guide to you, and only to you, you precious champion, with an erotic voice.

Once you complete th game, you can submit a positive review of the game to the Bethesduh "player review database" to unlock the video guide mode, where the said erotic star will give you hints and answers in full erotic motion on the fly.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why the hell do people buy game guides when GameFAQS.com exists?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Plenty of reason to buy strategy guides.

1. Collection
2. Good toilet/travel reading
3. Fun to see what you missed AFTER you play the game.
4. For games that have character systems (most D&D games); it's good to have a more detailed non spoilery version of those rules BEFORE you make your character in game since game manuals aren't always detailed or accurate.

And, most importantly,

I FUCKIN' WANT TO!!!

kazgar

Arcane
Chapter 2: to cry or not to cry during the startup sequence, that is the question (and which is 'A' button anyhow)

cardtrick

Arbiter
denizsi said:
They should move on and cooperate with developers to work on integrated guides on the fly. You pay for the guide add-on, and you can look up everything in the game on the fly, in a context sensitive way to what quests are active and what you are doing at that point in the game, what location you are in/on.

Damnit, keep these ideas to yourself. This actually sounds incredibly plausible, and I bet we see something like this within a couple of years.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Volourn said:
4. For games that have character systems (most D&D games); it's good to have a more detailed non spoilery version of those rules BEFORE you make your character in game since game manuals aren't always detailed or accurate.
That sort of shit should be in the manual in the first place.

Given that Prima is clearly working closely with developers (Bethesda in any case) your willingness ro pay for a bloody manual gives developers an incentive to make a less detailed or accurate manual.

WalterKinde

Scholar
I know these days within 24hrs or even before a game is officially released there is usually a walkthrough thrown up on gamefaqs etc.
But they are getting ridiculous with the Prima Official Guides for every hyped game from big name publishers.
Its one thing if you are stuck in a certain part of a game and need to know how to defeat a boss or finish a quest theres gamefaqs to find out how to do it but if according to all the hype the way Fallout 3 is designed, like Oblivion you don't really need an Official Prima Guide to finish it, hell if its anything like vanilla Oblivion the solutions to quests etc will be right in front of you and not require a lot of thinking.

Solohk

Scholar
I remember when Ocarina of Time came out, my brother and I bought a strategy guide for it. It was kind of handy having everything just right there if we needed to reference something.

But nowadays, with gamefaqs, much cheaper laptops, and wireless routers, I see no need to buy a printed guide. Even without a laptop handy you can still print off specific things for games such as the location of all the heart pieces from gamefaqs. I usually only look up those sorts of things anyway, rather than actual walkthroughs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom