Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite club/bar in a CRPG ?

Delirious Nomad

Scholar
It's really important for me to have a nice place to hang out after a killing spree.

The Vesuvius from Bloodlines wasn't a bad place but not much to do there.

The taverna (?) from ToeE doesn't look as good as some textures in the Vesuvius but had some nice folk in there ( I only say: "Ask ! " ) and the drinking contest where you could take everything from the drunk.

So what is your choice ?

dunduks

Liturgist
I'd say "Smoldering Corpse" from PST, it had gread atmosphere.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I'd have to second that. Smoldering Corspe actually had an atmosphere and was a neat little place where you can pick up some interesting info. Most bars in CRPGs just act as hubs for quests and maybe a little drinking on the side for no other reason besides "haha! my character is drunk!"

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
A number four coming from me. The Smoldering Corpse is, hands down, probably the only bar in an crpg that isn't completely useless.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Gathering Dust Bar is more fun because you can listen to them talk about their ideas

too bad they are all emo jerks

RuySan

Augur
the ones in Vampire. Some had nice music, and all of them had hot goth chicks.

And an honourable mention for smouldering corpse, of course.

Jennifer

Liturgist
the clubs in the original deus ex were pretty nice... for some reason i really liked the one in new york. it was pretty deserted, yeah, but most RPG bars are, and at least DX gave a plausible reason to be like that. the one in hong kong was kinda silly, but eh.

roshan

Arcane
Another vote for the corpse!! That place has my favourite piece of music in a computer game.

The gathering dust bar was also great. The pubs in bg1 werent too bad either, although not much to do in them except loot some rooms and listen to folk music.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Smoldering Corpse, and the BL bars were the best ones.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Volourn's right, I think.

I especially liked the moment when the band started playing in the Hollywood bar in BL. That was a very good track for that place.

Section8

Cipher
The music in the bars of Bloodlines shat me. Across the board it was the sort of bland shit that led to goths developing that shitty sway dance they do. I'd rather just have standard soundtrack fare, or even better, a jukebox that can be player scripted to point to an MP3 library.

Anyway, yes the Smouldering Corpse is really pretty cool. It's like the fucking Mos Eisley cantina, except there's more to do and say than "I have the death sentence in 12 systems."

And really, I can't think of anything else that comes close. Looks like it's the obvious choice for the Codex local. Although, if I were to open an official Codex tavern, I'd call it "The Gaping Anus."

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In Bloodlines I liked the track from the Anarch club the most. As for the best club I have to say the Asylum, because of the impression that I got when I first entered.
And yes, all the BL clubs had chicks with bouncing boobies, which makes them teh best clubs evah! :lol:

Smoldering Corpse was great too.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Baldur's Gate 2's Copper Coronet comes to mind for a couple of reasons... It had atmosphere, for one: it perfectly fit together with the rest of the Slums District and showed several aspects of the seedier lifestyle with slaver connections, illegal pit fights, 'smoking' rooms, etc. Fighting against it or letting yourself roll with it was also an option, to boot. It was also an adventure and character hub and a well rounded place to get information, drinks and lodging.

Quigs

Magister
You know what might look better on your nose?

The Bar.

Full throttle.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Ha! That game rocks. That bar was called the Kickstand I'm pretty sure.
I love when you look at one of the pictures he goes, "Mmm" and the bartender goes, "Watch it, that's my sister."

Atrokkus

Erudite
I loved Gathering Dust bar in PS:T. It looked kinda bizarre, not-your-ordinary-tavern like, you know? I loved the characters, especially Norochj. Those background conversations were a good atmospheric element.

I concur with Roleplayer about Copper Coronet, I loved it for the same reasons, but also for Korgan being there! (one of most memorable NPCs)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom