Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones is out

Astromarine

Erudite
In case you missed it, this game just came out a couple weeks ago. I'm currently trying to finish the first FE before I buy this one. Gamespot says it's pretty much more of the same, which is predictable considering the GBA is reaching end-of-life.

Of, and for the doubters: yes, it's a strategy title (well, tactical if you want to nitpick). It's also one of the best ones I've played lately, and yes, it's for the Gameboy. Deal.

Vic, have you played it already?

Talorc

Liturgist
What is the first FE like? I understand they are a pretty decent Turn Based tactical game?

I've moved to where I have a long train commute to work, and some GBA tactical turn based action during the trip would be great.

Plus being "end of life", I can pick up a second hand GBA + Fire Emblem cartrdige very cheaply I would imagine.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
I don't like Fire Emblem too much (at least the two on GBA, the only ones I've played). I mean, they're pretty decent and fun, but I always find them way to linear and restricting as opposed to other console SRPG's like Tactics Ogre, the NIS games like Disgaea, or even Final Fantasy Tactics (and while I know those are all psx/ps2 games, graphical limitations really shouldn't be an indication of the limit of complexity and depth).

Plus the story for both games is pretty horrible, and the characters are predictable and equally horrible (I haven't put too much time into the new one, but I hear the lead female has an identical personality of the lead from the first one on GBA).

So yeah, they're pretty decent time wasters to have a little fun, but I've never found any depth to them (at least to warrant the hype I've heard about them).

Astromarine

Erudite
for tactical games on the GBA, I'd suggest the following:

Fire Emblem (either one)
Advance Wars (either one)

Disgaea and Tactics Ogre I haven't played, but heard good about. Final Fantasy Tactics I have, but I could never ever get into it for some reason.Another possibility is Onimusha Tactics

As for the FEs specifically: yes, the story is fully linear. It's basically a command&conquer-style mission chain. As for the tactical possibilities of the game, I find it quite decent. It's not Silent Storm, but it's the fastest way for me to forget the 40 minutes I take to get to work by train. There's some replayability, there's TONS of characters to choose from to make your team, etc.

Surlent

Liturgist
astro said:
Tactics Ogre I haven't played
But I have, so I can suggest it. :)
And GBA's FFT is shallow in plot and combat is like lite easy type of its PSX counterpart.
I didn't dig the first GBA Fire Emblem, not because of combat, but the plot writing and characters which were little too anime for me (Not DBZ way, but you know that soap opera style).

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
There's good anime, then there's bad american picked and dubbed anime (not saying there's no horrible non-american anime, there's fucking mounds of it, but there's still some good stuff hidden in there though). In Fire Emblem's case, it's just bad writing. At least that's what I think.

And yeah, FFT Advance was awful compared to the original. In all aspects from what I remember.

Astromarine

Erudite
No, I don't like the story or the characters that much. But I accept that they're horrible and I gloss over that fact. Hell, SS is Fire Emblem 8! They're probably rehashing the children of their rehashes. I guess I can forgive a LOT from GBA games. I'm there for the gameplay and the portability, and to be honest when I'm on a train the less cutscenes, characterization, and character moments the better. That's why I bought Warioware, and that's why I can perfectly accept FE and drek that's even worse like Castlevania.

Someone tries selling me a PC, Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube game with a story like that and I'll bite his ankle.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Fire Emblem is way too long winded in its storyline and the gameplay is utterly restrictive, meaning there's not too many venues of choice when it comes to selecting your plan of attack. Just stick to Advance Wars: Black Hole Crisis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom