Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FPS - PC vs Consoles..

ortucis

Prophet
So I am "researching" first person shooters on PC and consoles to copy get inspiration for my game and I realize that PS3 has some pretty impressive exclusives compared to 360 (only HALO series..).

Hot PS3 exclusives..
- Resistance
- Killzone
- MAG
- (Any others?)

I hate it that PS3 owners are getting exclusive stuff like this along with games like inFamous & Uncharted. Reminds me of PS2 days.

Point is, they used to say "FPS gams are best played with mouse & keyboard", which is true but developers destroyed PC favorite genre in favour of consoles+more sales. Now RTS games are already being dumbed down and actually being made console exclusives (which are then ported to PC). With controllers similar to Wii, consoles will now get more and more RTS games with PC only developers trying to fuck up another genre in favour of more sales (logical).

What exactly will PC crowd have left after this? Hmm.. flash games? :lol:

/rant
/at least we have Stalker.. well, HAD up until Stalker 2..

Luzur

Good Sir
indie games, i guess?

i think indie will get an upswing on the PC heralding a new renaissance for PC gamers in the future while the unwashed masses are drooling to Killzone 23 and Halo 12: Up the Ass on their one WIN! button consoles.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even if FPS and RTS games are getting more popular on consoles, they will remain popular on the PC, because of the mouse and keyboard control. Also, there are the MMOs, point and click adventure games, the few released turn based strategies which are best played on PC. I don't think that PC gaming is in danger. But there will be less and less PC exclusive games in the future.

ortucis

Prophet
Luzur said:
indie games, i guess?

Yeeahh, about that. :(

@J_C
Not talking about PC gaming being in danger or FPSes not being popular on PC anymore. I meant the PC "favorite" genres are being changes to suit the console crowd. Nothing you can do about it (eg. Rainbow Six, DeusEx.. no more sequel for SWAT series).

Indie developers will try to copy big developers else their work will get molested on sites like Gamespot being compared to COD#240, etc. From what I have seen, most indie developers are moving on to creating games for iPhone/Android over PC anyway. No one wants to risk creating a FPS for PC unless they have a publisher backing the project.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
ortucis said:
Luzur said:
indie games, i guess?

Yeeahh, about that. :(

@J_C
Not talking about PC gaming being in danger or FPSes not being popular on PC anymore. I meant the PC "favorite" genres are being changes to suit the console crowd. Nothing you can do about it (eg. Rainbow Six, DeusEx.. no more sequel for SWAT series).
Oh, I see. Well you are right, unfortunately most games are designed to appeal to todays average gamers (who shit themselves if their FPS doesn't feature regenerating health). You mentioned Rainbow Six, one of my favourite FPS series. Well, it was my favourite series, until they didn't turn it into the abomination called Vegas. And other FPS followed, and will follow. Ghost Recon for example. There will be a suprise game now and then (like Stalker), but most game will be dumbed down.

But to be honest, I have high hopes for the new Deus Ex. I know that it won't be as good as the first one, but I'm looking forward to it.

DraQ

Arcane
ortucis said:
What exactly will PC crowd have left after this? Hmm.. flash games? :lol:
Biology teaches us that wherever there is a niche it will be taken. PC niche won't disappear because greedy fat fucks went over to consoles - PCs will still exist, PC users will still exist and profit is still there to be made, even if smaller than what can be fleeced off mouthbreathing hordes with their X-bawxes and contrulurz. And even if there were no profit to be made, modders indicate abundance of people willing to make creative shit for free, and with open engines of various sorts, even non-profit games are possible.

What would really be awesome, though, is some powerful, flexible free engine and set of flexible, but powerful procedural content generation tools, that would invigorate the indie scene and help it embrace larger, more ambitious projects.

Felix

Arcane
I don't know about MAG (even mainstream "reviewers" don't like it much or so I heard) but Killzone and Resistance are shit, Killzone 2's controls are very clunky and popamole but the fanboys always defense it with herp realism derp. You're not missing anything.

L'ennui

Magister
Red Orchestra 2 is pretty much the only thing the PC shooter genre has going for it, yeah. That game aside, the console is now a far better platform for fps fans.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I downloaded and tried to play the Dead Space 2 demo for my PS3 a while back.

PUKING.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good thing i don't care about shooters heh?

Ah adventure game / RPG schadenfreude.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
FPS exclusives on a console?

I am about to rage, then I remember...

Console controls.

For an FPS.

Yeah you can keep your console exclusive FPS.

zeitgeist

Magister
ortucis said:
What exactly will PC crowd have left after this? Hmm.. flash games? lol
Try following any site that tracks new PC game releases regardless of the level of production for a while, and you'll see that 90% of PC game titles being released are indeed puzzle games, games for children, hidden object games, and various similar casual timewasters (that mostly started as Flash games) made by noname companies and generally distributed digitally. Apparently so many people are paying for them at those casual game portals and such that they're usually profitable no matter how horrible they are (mostly due to the incredibly low development costs, ease of distribution, and of course targeting a very undemanding market).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom