Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Frayed Knights Patch 1.04 and Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Frayed Knights

<p>True PC Gaming <a href="http://truepcgaming.com/2011/10/06/rpg-indie-goodness-frayed-knights-the-skull-of-s%e2%80%99makh-daon-interview/" target="_blank">interviewed</a> RampantGames' Jay Barnson.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>In its current form, how close is Frayed Knights: The Skull of S&rsquo;makh-Daon to your initial vision?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The game in my mind always had multi-million dollar art, a lot more special effects, &nbsp;and Christina Hendricks as Chloe. But those aside, I think it came pretty close &ndash; which kinda surprises me, to be honest. It took a lot of effort to get combat and the Drama Star aspects to work the way I&rsquo;d intended them to, and while they are still not &ldquo;perfect&rdquo; by any stretch, I feel pretty good about where they landed.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I originally planned a &ldquo;larger&rdquo; game, but I thought would be a lot smaller. What I mean is&hellip; I had three acts (The Skull of S&rsquo;makh-Daon is the first) which I thought might only take 5-6 hours each to play through. I fortunately realized that I&rsquo;d been grossly off in my calculations (both in how much work was involved, and how much gameplay a single act actually represented), and that I was really risking a lot on a single &ldquo;mega&rdquo; project that might be a colossal failure. So I broke the game down into smaller, indie-sized chunks. &nbsp;That was totally the right move, but I had to make a lot of story changes to make sure each game had a self-contained, stand-alone story. There were a few quest changes, but not too many quests spanned acts.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>But really, while some details are different, overall the game came out a lot like I&rsquo;d imagined it.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/updates" target="_blank">Plus, patch 1.04 is out.</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is the game itself any good? It looks pretty promising, and that trap/lock system looks pretty nifty.

EDIT: Holy fuck it's 22,95$! Does the amount and quality of the content really warrant that kindda price? Even KotC I got for like 15$.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Grunker said:
EDIT: Holy fuck it's 22,95$! Does the amount and quality of the content really warrant that kindda price? Even KotC I got for like 15$.

29$ with VAT :troll:

And well, so far it's been p. good as far as I can tell :M

Morkar Left

The pricetag is a bit intimidating. 20 - 25 $ with VAT included would make more sense in my opinion. The game looks with its textures and some art-style a bit amateurish afterall. Still, I don't regret to have bought it. My party is lvl 6 now (from 13) and I have a lot of fun.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I want to play this game but 29$ seems like bloody robbery compared to the *seeminly* not unfathomably high production values. Or maybe I'm just a niggardly student...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Codex: FFFUUUUU!!!! WHERE ARE THE PROPER BLOB CRAWLERS OF OLD? WHERE ARE THE TB RPG'S? FUCK THE BIG COMPANIES!!! WHO CARES ABOUT GRAPHICS!!!

Frayed Knights developer: Hey guys, I've a TB blob crawler, just $29, maybe you'd lik.....

Codex: FFFUUUUU!!!! $29 FOR SUCH AN UGLY GAME?????? FFFUUCCKKK YOOOOUUUU! WE CAN GET MASS EFFECT SERIES ON A STEAM SALE FOR THAT!!!!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ugly? When did I comment on it being ugly? I don't really care for the graphics, although I kindda like the blobs. I am, however, a poor student in a part-time teacher's job... so yeah, I was hoping to score it cheaper. Don't quite see the harm in that.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grunker said:
Ugly? When did I comment on it being ugly? I don't really care for the graphics, although I kindda like the blobs. I am, however, a poor student in a part-time teacher's job... so yeah, I was hoping to score it cheaper. Don't quite see the harm in that.

How poor can you be? Want to swap places? I wasn't really talking about you anyway, just that it reminded me of the KOTC discussion and that of other indie RPG's which are widely praised and all well and good but when it comes to actually paying 20 bucks for them all of a sudden the excuses start coming out about how for that money you'd get a AAA production etc. Besides the whine about the low production values smacks of graphic whorism. It doesn't look all that much worse than Wizardry 8 as I recall and certainly better than MM9.

What's 20 odd clams anyway? When I was at Uni I was forking out $89.95 for new games back in the 90's! I never imagined a day where new games would be sold for 20 dollars and people would still whine about the cost.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, I'm a cheap bastard careful with how I spend my money. So at the very least I'd like some hands on with the game first, which is why I'll be downloading the demo this week to see if it's worth the price.

Also have to buy New Vegas GOTY edition as well as KB:AP, since I'm playing that atm and I'm having enough fun that I want to buy it.

What's 20 odd clams anyway? When I was at Uni I was forking out $89.95 for new games back in the 90's! I never imagined a day where new games would be sold for 20 dollars and people would still whine about the cost.

:bravo:

This is exactly what comes to mind every time I read such comments (except a touch earlier with the dates)...along with....

Codex: FFFUUUUU!!!! WHERE ARE THE PROPER BLOB CRAWLERS OF OLD? WHERE ARE THE TB RPG'S? FUCK THE BIG COMPANIES!!! WHO CARES ABOUT GRAPHICS!!!

Frayed Knights developer: Hey guys, I've a TB blob crawler, just $29, maybe you'd lik.....

Codex: FFFUUUUU!!!! $29 FOR SUCH AN UGLY GAME?????? FFFUUCCKKK YOOOOUUUU! WE CAN GET MASS EFFECT SERIES ON A STEAM SALE FOR THAT!!!!

Indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom