Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck TSLRP - QFG2 VGA is my god now (August 24th, 2008)

jaylittle

Scholar
I don't know how many people here are Quest for Glory fans like myself, but I've been keeping up on a little project known as "Quest for Glory II VGA" for quite a few years now. For those not in the know, this is project being run by AGD Interactive. It is an effort to remake the finest Quest For Glory game, Trial by Fire.

I just checked their website today, which has become a bi-weekly habit over the last few years and I found this update from July 22nd:
07-22-08
Anonymous Game Creator #2
The time is drawing near and with the release of Quest for Glory II just around the corner, we're in need of server space to make the game available to the masses.

AGDI has decided to refresh its list of mirrors which host our games. We plan on taking the no-longer functioning mirrors off the list and also accepting offers from people willing to host our games, both new and old. We would obviously like to have adequate server space available by the time the Quest for Glory II remake is released and we would like to start organizing this now so that the release can be seamless and hitch-free.

If you have a good deal of server space and bandwidth to spare and are willing to help us distribute our projects, please contact us at AGDinteractive@gmail.com with a mail titled "AGDI Mirror Offer" and let us know that you’d like to donate server space. In this mail, please also let us know the maximum amount of space and bandwidth you have to offer. Please note that the bandwidth load will be shared across all servers and will be put on rotation every time someone downloads a file from the AGDI website. Additionally, please bear in mind that we would like to be able to host the files on the servers indefinitely.

This isn't just about Quest for Glory II VGA. It also extends to hosting our other projects too. So if you can help, please send us an email and let us know the details. Thanks!

A small request: Please do not send us emails advising us that we can use bit-torrent to distribute the games. Our agreement allows us to use direct-download links from the main website only. So if you're contacting us about this, please only do so if you can offer actual server space. Thanks!
The time is drawing near. It looks like my Wizards and Warriors playthrough may get put on hold. I've got to fire up Quest for Glory I and prep a character for this. As always I'll go with a thief that has all the other non-class skills (Parry and Magic IIRC) so that I can pretty much do everything in QFG2 (EoF, WIT, TG).

Is anybody else looking forward to this release as much as I am?

EDIT: Release date of August 24th, 2008 has been announced.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
There's also a fan group that has remade the first 3 or 4 King's Quest for free too. A lot of Sierra love out there still i guess.

Binary

Liturgist
At last it will be out!

I hope it will be possible to import QfG1 characters. I have quite a few of them (I think I finished QfG1 with at least 3 different characters - never a fighter though!)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You have no idea how long this took, jay. But it's about time. I think I started checking this, like, what, seven years ago? Something ridiculous though. Finally!

jaylittle

Scholar
Jasede said:
You have no idea how long this took, jay. But it's about time. I think I started checking this, like, what, seven years ago? Something ridiculous though. Finally!
Oh make no mistake - I've been following this project for nearly as long as that. I was keeping on eye on these guys when they were doing KQ 1/2 VGA as well.
I hope it will be possible to import QfG1 characters. I have quite a few of them (I think I finished QfG1 with at least 3 different characters - never a fighter though!)
I have read on their forums that yes you will indeed be able to import characters from QfG1.

Zomg

Arbiter
The EGA version of QfG1 is more attractive and fun than the VGA version of it.

jaylittle

Scholar
Zomg said:
Indeed it is. Hopefully AGD can do a better job with their remake their Sierra did with theirs.

Binary

Liturgist
Zomg said:

I think this is hard to quantify imho. While I played the EGA version zillions of times but the VGA version only 30 mins, I'd tend to agree. But why?

I think the EGA version had charm and originality, while the VGA one was just improved gfx and nothing new.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh this is one thing I want to mention.

The EGA version of QfG 2 is -beautiful- to me. The way they use these few colours to make it look so pretty... it's amazing. QfG 2 has deeply immersive and mind-blowing graphics and effects and is, visually, definitely my favourite QfG, despite it being EGA. But I do think they're all very beautiful, like all Sierra games. I have fond memories of all Hero Quest games indeed. Especially 3. :furry:

Edit: Dang, reminds me: I never completed 4 or 5.

Binary

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Oh this is one thing I want to mention.

The EGA version of QfG 2 is -beautiful- to me. The way they use these few colours to make it look so pretty... it's amazing. QfG 2 has deeply immersive and mind-blowing graphics and effects and is, visually, definitely my favourite QfG, despite it being EGA. But I do think they're all very beautiful, like all Sierra games. I have fond memories of all Hero Quest games indeed. Especially 3. :furry:

Edit: Dang, reminds me: I never completed 4 or 5.

zomg u nub

QfG2 is too linear and it's the only one that isn't really replayable
QfG3 is just too short

QfG4 is the best of the series, closely followed by QfG1

Never finished QfG5 myself but not even the latest patch fixes all the issues, so not really looking forward to playing it.

jaylittle

Scholar
Jay's QfG ratings:

1 == Good
2 == Best
3 == Decent
4 == Good
5 == Dog Shit (Disclaimer: Never finished it - it just seemed to suck that hard)

Binary

Liturgist
I want another Dark & Funny (tm) RPG like QfG4 *sigh*

Cthulhu Mythos meets Transylvania... this game was brilliant

It holds 4th place in Binary's list of Favorite RPGs of all times.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
was 4 the one where you had to kiss the rusalka in her real form as a paladin? that one was the best.
there should be more of it.

there should generally be more real adventure rpg hybrids like that...

Binary

Liturgist
SuicideBunny said:
was 4 the one where you had to kiss the rusalka in her real form as a paladin? that one was the best.
there should be more of it.

yes, yes, yes and yes

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wish they'd finish it up already so I can play it but more importantly so they can get cracking on their Space Quest 2 VGA

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
I've followed Tierra/AGDi from the beginning and have been waiting for QfG2VGA since they announced they were going to remake it.

SuicideBunny said:

Yes, I wish there were. The few I've found are nowhere near as good as the Quest for Glory's or are just plain bad.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Is tis game actually coming out? Sure is taking forever and then some.

jaylittle

Scholar
The game is 100% confirmed to be done. Apparently we are waiting on their new website to be finished so that it can launch alongside the game. That's a bit disappointing to say the least. However based on the hints on their site, most predictions are pointing to 8/8/08 as the magic date.

In addition to redesigning the site, they are also getting download mirrors together. When asked for the millionth time why they weren't just using something like bittorrent to avoid all of that hassle, they basically said that Vivendi is forbidding them from using an medium that resembles piracy or some such nonsense. Then the parade of fanboys flock in to defend such inane dribble by saying things like "Direct downloads are quicker than torrents" and "Torrents are only used for piracy" or even "Torrents don't work at all".

When further questioned as to why they can't just provide both options so that the techies who knew how to forward a few simple ports correctly could get it faster and contribute their own bandwidth to the cause while the neophytes won't have their worldview of ignorance forcefully destroyed, they said that using Bittorrent prevents them from adequately counting how many people have downloaded the game.

Of course when informed that this was in no way true, they leave the dirty work to the fanboys or just fall back on the "Vivendi said no" excuse.

Sigh...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom