Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Full Unreal 4 source code, now $19/month

J1M

Arcane

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

Integration with visual studio, and the full source code. If it was C# instead of C++ I'd jump in an instant, but I will have to seriously consider switching to Unreal 4 from Unity.

Cost is $19/month and 5% of game revenue.

zwanzig_zwoelf

UDK is a bloated piece of shit, and I doubt this is any different.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
5% of game revenue is a big problem : These 5% are cut before paying for any expense (only after VAT and distributor cut I suppose), so relative to programming cost, it is far from negligible. Compared to the cost of Unity, I fail to see how this offer is attractive. That said, access to the engine itslef is a big plus, but unless the documentation is very detailled, I doubt many indie teams will have the manpower to tamper with it much anyway.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The thing that's kinda crazy is that the prices seem to be flat for anyone. Whether you're a triple-A studio or indie, physical distribution costs or no, that 5% is 5% no matter what. It's really obvious the super-low monthly fees are an attempt to challenge Unity's current dominance of the indie market (as is CryEngine 3's $10/month), so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Even though I think Unity is more awkward to work with and less powerful than, say, UDK, the asset store and community around Unity probably won't go away any time soon.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the problem for indies is not to find an environment to develop games in.
the problem is finding cheap/free assets. I think Unity will keep the throne among indie devs.

The only thing UE seems good at is rendering overly muscular jarheads in a gritty "realistic" way. I doubt that'll change in the next version of the engine, ergo it'll still be shit.

J1M

Arcane
sea, Galdred,

The 5% fee is not set in stone. It is a publicly standing offer. You can also follow the traditional licensing path and give them $400,000 up front if you'd prefer.

hiver

How does cryengine stand compared? I dont mean the price and the deal - which is better for cryengine.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
How does cryengine stand compared? I dont mean the price and the deal - which is better for cryengine.
Both are triple-A technologies capable of "next gen" games as far as rendering, AI, scripting, development environment, etc. go. But we haven't really seen enough CryEngine games to comment on, say, how diverse the engine is or how easily it handles certain types of games. Unreal is a time-tested engine with dozens if not hundreds of games based on its technologies and it has a sizeable dev community; that is not true of CryEngine even if EA/Crytek were very good about supporting it (no idea).

My opinion? Based on my limited experience with both, Unreal is a bit easier to work with for doing level design stuff, and its performance scales better across a wider range of devices, but both are very capable, just different in terms of UI/workflow ways.

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
Hmm, love to have a look at this to see just how tripleA companies design their engines. Suppose someone's uploaded it somewhere already.

hiver

Any differences between the two when it comes down to "isometric" RPG games that we all know and love?

J1M

Arcane
Any differences between the two when it comes down to "isometric" RPG games that we all know and love?
Unity released a 2D toolkit recently. You can look for that thread in this forum. I posted a couple of the introduction/tutorial videos.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
the problem for indies is not to find an environment to develop games in.
the problem is finding cheap/free assets. I think Unity will keep the throne among indie devs.

Are Unity Assets sold from their store, provided in a format only Unity can read? If not, there is no need to use Unity.

hiver

Unity released a 2D toolkit recently. You can look for that thread in this forum. I posted a couple of the introduction/tutorial videos.
I didnt mean 2D... i heard about that add-on for unity.

I meant , as stupid and ignorant as the question may be... which one is better to make an isometric game (with RPG mechanics) and why?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
\
I meant , as stupid and ignorant as the question may be... which one is better to make an isometric game (with RPG mechanics) and why?

It shouldn't matter when they both offer source, since you'll need to modify the source if you want to make a complex RPG.

Questions you should be asking is: What is the source quality like? Is it pristine and self documenting, or is it difficult to understand? Is every part of the engine programmed in house, or is it a compilation of many different libraries? Engines composed of many libraries, tend to be messy and difficult to understand. Can the entire code base be built in 5 or 10 minutes, or do you have to leave it to build overnight? Will you get the number one engine programmer answering your questions, or will it be the coffee boys and interns? Then you would look at the scripting system they offer. Then you would look at how easy it is to import assets and build levels.

TBH I can't tell you which one of them is better, because I'm not curious enough to test either again.

hiver

Well, all that was kind of integrated in that ignorant question of mine. Thanks for info all the same. For some inexplicable reason, im leaning more towards cryengine...

J1M

Arcane
Well, all that was kind of integrated in that ignorant question of mine. Thanks for info all the same. For some inexplicable reason, im leaning more towards cryengine...
Good. Test it out and report back.

hiver

i Will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom