Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game Over: Flagship Studios Close

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
http://hellgateguru.com/2008/07/flagship-no-longer-owns-hellgate-london

In breaking news, Korean news website TheGames.co.kr reports that HanbitSoft is taking full control over the Hellgate: London intellectual property from Flagship Studios. At present, HanbitSoft co-owns the IP, which was developed by Flagship Studios and published by Electronic Arts in Europe and the United States.
This with the recent layoffs at Flagship Studios, is this the end?

Raapys

Arcane
Hope so actually, stupid developers. Seperate singleplayer/multiplayer patches, very disappointing game in general, no lan play, etc., etc.

Article has been updated.
However, Flagship has officially responded: "This story is an outright lie. We have no idea where they are getting their information from and have asked legal counsel to pursue the issue... We are mystified by Hanbitsoft’s conclusions and any attempt to take over the IP will be met with a strong and swift response."

Zakhal

Liturgist
It wasnt half-bad mmog-lite shooter atleast in beta. Im waiting for the 2.0 patch before starting the game.

Chefe

Erudite
Hellgate London was released? When did this happen?

aboyd

Liturgist
Aren't these the guys doing Mythos? I'm more interested in that than in Hellgate.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Mythos is made by the developer of FATE, a Diablo clone. As I understand, Flagship merely developed the server backend for Mythos' Battle.Net like system.

DemonKing

Arcane
Well I feel sorry for the employees but when you release something as bland and awful as Hellgate London *and* expect people to pony up for a monthly subscription you deserve to go out of business.

They shan't be missed.

Bet Bill Roper is glad he left Blizzard now...well, maybe they'll need a peon voice for WC4.

Balor

Arcane
Well, that's a bit of a Codex hypocrisy here, because the most 'sucking' part was the graphics.
However, it did suck pretty hard, and what's worse, it was ANIMATIONS that sucked.
See WoW to understand that you can have characters with as many polygons as lego toys, and yet look more then ok.
Extremely repeative levels didn't help either. And story, that looked like it was written by a 5-year old.
Ok, perhaps there is no hypocrisy at all :).

aboyd

Liturgist
Raapys said:
Article has been updated.
Flagship has officially responded: "We are mystified by Hanbitsoft’s conclusions and any attempt to take over the IP will be met with a strong and swift response."
Hmm. This is actually an interesting fight. The story has been updated again with a reply to the reply. Hanbitsoft kinda owns them, almost literally:

(1) HanbitSoft is an exclusive licensee of both Hellgate and Mythos in Asia, with rights to sublicense the games; (2) in addition, HanbitSoft is a secured creditor who has been pledged the Mythos (but not the Hellgate) intellectual property as collateral for a loan; (3) Comerica, another secured lender, has been pledged the Hellgate intellectual property as its collateral for a loan; (4) Flagship Studios does not currently own the intellectual properties to either game, which are held in separate companies subject to the security interests of lenders, and Flagship Studios’ interest in those companies is also pledged to its lenders
So to boil this down to the basics, Flagship growled, and HanbitSoft yanked the chain, "Heel, dog!"

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Haha, remember there was a 150 dollar or so Superduper collectors edition which contained a lifetime subscription for the Hellgate online service. Tough luck for those who bought it, I guess :lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's good to see that PC market even now doesn't forgive shitty games compared to the trash-bin that is console market.

racofer

Thread Incliner
skyway said:
It's good to see that PC market even now doesn't forgive shitty games compared to the trash-bin that is console market.

Too bad this still doesn't apply to Bethesda's shit.

Balor

Arcane
So, the Flagship finally sunk. Serves them right for being so 'holeyer then thou'.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
HG community manager said:
Well, Andrew I don't want to tell you how to do your job at VE3D, but normally you check the quotes before making them appear as fact. I didn't say this at all, and I have never spoken to you or recall ever speaking to you about anything ever. I'm sorry, but this news article is just not from me.
Teh plot thickens.

Raapys

Arcane
Strange though, I seem to remember reading the game had like 1million subscribers or something over in Asia.

Dolar

Novice
In Asia where they pay by the hour in Internet cafes, I don't think they made a lot of money on it. Plus there is the Asian developer, the licensing fees, the cafes cut ect ect. For a game that took that long to make, and that much money went into, a million subscribers in Asia is not going to sustain them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom