Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gamers with Jobs think Empire at War isn't too hot

LlamaGod

Cipher
<strong>[ Game -> Review ]</strong>

<a href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com">Gamers With Jobs</a> has posted a review of the 49th Star Wars game, <a href="http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/">Star Wars: Empire at War</a> and it's a pretty good one.

Here's the gist of it:

<blockquote>Star Wars: Empire at War may end up being a point of contention for Star Wars gamers, a title that some love, others hate, but most find largely forgettable, lost amid the forty-eight other games with a similar title. The title is entertaining for a while, and offers a few glimpses of something far better, but fails to play to its potential strengths. It suffers from a relatively uninspired AI that succeeds largely through brute force, attrition, and an inherent ability to manage otherwise confusing battles. The game’s pace is too erratic, a frustrating blend of waiting and fighting, and though it offers three layers in which to play none of them are particularly deep. Ultimately the game simply promises much but delivers about half.

Empire at War is a good game for a while that becomes a purely mediocre title in the long-run.</blockquote>
I agree. Empire at War isn't that special and feels like a weaker version of the Total War games, to me. The Star Wars theme keeps it from being a totally passible game initially, but ultimately the gameplay makes that so.

Unless you're a diehard Star Wars fan (which in that case you should seek help), you can pass this up for better things like Medieval: Total War 1 or a modded Rome: Total War.

Read the rest <a href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/22342">here.</a>

Ryuken

Liturgist
Not even the battles give me a Total War feel, no 3D physics/advantages or whatsoever, just simple manpower will always do the trick as that review mentions. It feels like the devs took some elements out of Imperium Galactica and Star Trek Armada but Petroglypgh just didn't do much interesting with it.

They should have gone for a full base-building/attacking/defending style in space and on the planet surface or idd for a real tactical game with better worked out mass battles as in Total War, all combined with a campaign map that has more depth (or which is just turnbased). Every battle now feels like you're playing a mission of a standard rts but without the basebuilding, those were imo always the maps I wanted to skip asap.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
kris said:
S4ur0n27 said:
How rich must be George Lucas, I'm asking you?

Stupidly rich, but I doubt these games contributed much to that...

And I doubt X-wing models, plastic action figures, collectible card games, book spin offs, and more contributed a lot either, but add it them all up and you are starting to talk about some real money. Actually, the book are probably a pretty good source of income. They are pretty cheap to make.

VasikkA

Liturgist
The monkeys own ranches too. And a harem with a broad selection of primates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom