Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview GameSpot previews Dungeon Lords

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Dungeon Lords

<a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> posted a <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dungeonlords/preview_6092689.html>preview</a> of <a href=http://www.heuristicpark.com>Dungeon Lords</a> saying funny things like:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Apparently, Bradley's goal with Dungeon Lords is to preserve the depth of an epic role-playing game but to present this depth as simply as possible.</blockquote>How funny is this?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>So, the game will feature eight playable races of characters (including nonhuman characters with superhuman abilities, like the ability to see in the dark), along with male and female variants, plus an in-depth magic spell system. However, the game's easy-to-use control system will let you control your character with the WASD keys on your keyboard, like a first-person shooter, and use your left mouse button to swing your weapon and your right mouse button to block incoming attacks with your shield. The idea is to reward skillful players by letting them gain experience levels and treasure from fallen enemies more quickly than less-skilled players, who will likely want to adopt a more-cautious approach. </blockquote> Rewarding twitch-players more? Yep, that's a lotta depth!
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

taks

Liturgist
this guy's joking, right? april fools and such?

oh boy, i'll write this into my "games to avoid" category. isn't the number one complaint about gothic the fact that it requires keyboard skills to play? do developers not get it?

The idea is to reward skillful players by letting them gain experience levels and treasure from fallen enemies more quickly than less-skilled players, who will likely want to adopt a more-cautious approach.

so what if my left hand is broken? guess i can't play his vision of the future of crpgs...

taks

Fireblade

Erudite
Guess they didn't feel the need to mention how utterly horrible that guy's last game (W&W) was...

Voss

Erudite
Don't hold your breath. HIs previous games have all the roleplaying potential of checkers.

taks

Liturgist
hey now... i like the role of "red" in checkers. sometimes, for kicks, i play "black." what a difference that makes.

mark

ecliptic

Liturgist
I enjoyed W&W as a strictly old school experience, and shall give this a shot. Wiz7 was also quite fantastic.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
ecliptic said:
I enjoyed W&W as a strictly old school experience
Oldskul, eh? Will have to try it. I got it last month as a cover disk with a magazine, but I remembered some horrible reviews and didn't install it.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
The problem with DW Bradley's new company is that they don't support their products with patches. But that's not what I wanted to post about on this thread:

What I wanted to say is that I find it interesting that all the people on rpgdot.com seem to have enjoyed W&W and are looking forward to Dungeon Lords. All the people on this site, on the other hand, seemed to have hated W&W and are dubious about the possibility of Dungeon Lords being a great (or even good) game.

As for me, I'll remain a skeptic. Though I like the Wizardry series in general, I'm not convinced that a game with real-time, twitch combat will appeal to me unless it presents an expansive world like Gothic or Morrowind, and remains a challenge (unlike Morrowind in the later stages). I'd be surprised if it can improve on the formula presented by Gothic, though.

Fireblade

Erudite
Morrowind wasn't even really a challenge in the early stages, much less the later stages. It was expansive I guess, but you need a lot of real estate to populate it with so many walking encyclopedias...

DemonKing

Arcane
ArcturusXIV said:
The problem with DW Bradley's new company is that they don't support their products with patches.

Didn't HP release a patch for W&W themselves, which was not supported by the publisher Activision? I'd say that's supporting your product.

What I wanted to say is that I find it interesting that all the people on rpgdot.com seem to have enjoyed W&W and are looking forward to Dungeon Lords. All the people on this site, on the other hand, seemed to have hated W&W and are dubious about the possibility of Dungeon Lords being a great (or even good) game.

I didn't hate W&W since it was quite similar to the earlier Wizardry games but it was clearly more a game for the "old skool" fans and some of the puzzles were a little on the obscure side. I am sceptical about Dungeon Lords because it looks like they are heading more towards the "action/twitch" RPG model than Bradley's previous efforts have.

However I will keep an open mind and check out some reviews before I make my mind up.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
As I understood it, the fans had to create a patch to make W&W playable. In any case, I'm still enjoying Morrowind, mostly because I like traversing exotic environments and discovering secrets. I'm more of an RPG/Adventure (Gothic II) person than an RPG/Strategy (Fallout) person.

Snuffles

Novice
Was there much strategy in fallout for other people? All I did was aim for the eyes, every shot.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Slayer (critical hits for melee) was pretty good in Fallout. You just run up to the Enclave guys and punch 'em in the legs to break their legs (so they can't run), punch 'em in the arms and break their arms (so they can't use any weapon), then do it to all your other enemies before running the crippals down. Hours of fun!

The best thing was that punches took only 3 action points to use, so you could crippal both arms and a leg in one turn, then they would try and run away and not get very far. Heheh.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah. I liked that you could blind someone 5 times in a minute with well-aimed punches in the eyes, and he would still be able to hit you (e.g. during the boxing fights).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom