Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Going back to The Planet...

Silva

Arcane
Bought Civ3 last year. Installed it. Played it for 2 days. Uninstalled it, VERY disappointed. Damn, now Im trying to sell it here in Brazil.

I was introduced to the series by Colonize! and got addicted. Later it was Civ 2. Addicted again. Then it was Alpha Centauri. And now I were not only addicted, but amazed.

SMAC had the plot of a Spielberg movie. A real, believable and exciting premise. A new world, a new human struggle, so nicely depicted that turned out to be a great PnP RPG scenario. I mean, it had LIFE. It had poetry in the interlines. Sid and Bryan got the Civ2 formulae, improved it, and blended it with a sci-fi epic plot that "transcended" the original status of mere "game". It is instructional (all the techs are realistic futuristic projections), its very fun (the gameplay is not only an advance from Civ 2, it blends perfectly in the scenario), and its inspirational!

I see a lot of antecipation for Civ 4 already. I would rather see an Alpha Centauri 2 instead.

PS: Does the alternate color patch for SMAC makes the game colors more pleasant? Thanks!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, Civ 3 sucks.

Your thread topic is deceptive too. I thought this had something to do with "The Planet of the Apes".

Civ 4 is going to suck to I bet. Civ has lots its charm and been whored out too much.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I'm currently translating some parts of Civilization 3 (for 1C).
Played it a long time ago...

Hey, there seems to be Sid Meyer's version of it, right?
What's the real difference between Civ3 and Sidmeyer's Civ3?
I heard that SM's was kinda biased... i mean, limited regime options, etc.
Whatcha think?

Or was it SM's Alpha Centauri?...
I'm confused...

Fez

Erudite
The alternate colors patch is to aid color blind players. You shouldn't use it unless you are color blind and have difficulty reading the screen and icons.

It's "Sid Meier" and "Brian Reynolds", you dolts. All versions of Civ 3 have Sid Meier in the credits.

mEtaLL1x said:
Whatcha think?

I think you should at least play or read up on the games before eagerly showing your ignorance here.

mEtaLL1x said:
I'm confused...

This is something you should remind yourself of on an hourly basis, possibly tattooing it on the backs of your hands.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I don't know much about the Russian history of Games, but Sid Meier's is a huge name in video games here. His name is on some of the most popular games for their times, including the original Civilization, which had his name in the title, I do believe. Since the Civ 2 and 3 didn't significantly deviate from his original formula, its alright to put his name on the credits. Whether or not he collaborated in their creation is another story.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I think you should at least play or read up on the games before eagerly showing your ignorance here.
I said something bad about Civ3? No way, I liked the game (but long-long ago). I said something bad about you? No, again.
Then why the fuck are you rattling yer bonebox about?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Fez: CRPG Pope? Did I miss a meeting again?

I missed a meeting again didn't I?

Fez

Erudite
mEtaLL1x said:
I said something bad about Civ3? No way, I liked the game (but long-long ago). I said something bad about you? No, again.
Then why the fuck are you rattling yer bonebox about?

Your continued incoherance. You really should play AC though, it's the better game. You should like it if you enjoyed TB Civ style games.

Silva

Arcane
Planet of the Apes ? No, Planet of the WORMS!!!!

Now, is it just me or, in Civ 3 there is some broken gameplay issue that obligates you to keep expanding territorially for you to keep competitive, even in the easy levels?

While in Alpha Centauri you could do that strategy, or build a few very infrastructured cities and still be competitive. (is there some way/patch to correct this?) I dont remember this territorial rush to be even in Civ 2, or Colonize, btw.

Other concepts, like corruption/inneficiency were taken from AC, but do not work so well here. And the AC workshop is a great concept that could be used too. The gov types also seem unbalanced - republic is far better than monarchy, even if you are a war nation.

I would like to see AC with Civ3 graphics though - pretty, clean and informative. While AC seems a bit too pinkish (maybe its the Planet alien sun), causing nausea after some turns.

(thats why I asked for the color patch. But if it doesnt add new and prettier colors... )

Fez

Erudite
AC felt more like a leap forward as a sequel than Civ 2 or 3 did. There were some attempts at making AC look different, I don't know if any of them were finished though.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Silva said:
Now, is it just me or, in Civ 3 there is some broken gameplay issue that obligates you to keep expanding territorially for you to keep competitive, even in the easy levels?
No, it's not just you. I've had the same complaint. Resources are cool because you finally get to invade countries for a reason other then "I felt like it". But yeah, that constant expansion shit and then having your cities max out with corruption is just lame.

Some of my favourite games in Civ 2 were just me, all alone on my island, building a space shuttle.

oherror

Liturgist
its a game that appels to different people i got mine in a bundle pack with i believe worms armaggedon and mechassult gold...sold mine to a friend i didn't care for the game style and game play...not that i gave it much of a chance. Although i know my friend still plays it to this day.

Each to their own!

shasla5

Novice
Yes, SM is biased towards the governments. That "democracy" would be the best government in nearly every way is totally absurd. And war weariness is GROSSLY exaggerated. There's no way over half of my country is going to revolt over a war of ANY KIND, much less one of SELF DEFENSE! In reality, Fascism would be the most effective, because it has the wealth advantages of free capitalism without the annoying civil rights that allow the people to rise up and disrupt things.
The new way of setting up your government in Civ 4 seems promising though.

Greenskin13

Erudite
DrattedTin is an enemy of the state.

mEtaLL1x said:
Hey, there seems to be Sid Meyer's version of it, right?
What's the real difference between Civ3 and Sidmeyer's Civ3?

Are you thinking of the Civilization: Call to Power games? CtP was almost a complete carbon-copy of Civilization, from what I remember. I never played it for very long, so I can't give an exact review. Anyway, CtP 1 and 2 (there was no CtP 3) aren't Sid Meier games, but Civ1, 2 and 3 are all SM games.

Silva

Arcane
Yes, SM is biased towards the governments. That "democracy" would be the best government in nearly every way is totally absurd. And war weariness is GROSSLY exaggerated. There's no way over half of my country is going to revolt over a war of ANY KIND, much less one of SELF DEFENSE! In reality, Fascism would be the most effective, because it has the wealth advantages of free capitalism without the annoying civil rights that allow the people to rise up and disrupt things.
The new way of setting up your government in Civ 4 seems promising though.

Are you TRIPPING or what? Alpha Centauri has nothing to do with what you saying. In fact Alpha Centauri's "Government Design" concept will be adopted by Civ 4.

shasla5

Novice
Someone above said SM is biased. That's what I was responding to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom