Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Gravia Tactics

SteveLPE

Literate
Hi all!

My name is Steve, I'm one half of a duo creating a story-driven strategy RPG for the PC called Gravia Tactics. We're trying to raise as much awareness for the game as possible because word of mouth is all we have really!

You can check it out here:
http://www.punchbagentertainment.com

We'd really appreciate if you'd follow us on twitter and help us spread the word!
https://twitter.com/PunchbagEnt

We'd love to hear what you think of Gravia so far, too!

Thanks,

Steve

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Gravia Tactics is a Strategy RPG for Windows that combines the deep and rewarding gameplay of console greats like Disgaea and Fire Emblem
which one is it? those two are as different as can be.
with compelling, meaningful storytelling like that of the Final Fantasy series or Naughty Dog's The Last of Us.
get out.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
with compelling, meaningful storytelling like that of the Final Fantasy series or Naughty Dog's The Last of Us.

Cheap bait, mate.
:0/5:

Try harder.
Insert a coin.
Or two. Or just gib us all ur moniez and moovaut.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
A tactical game with storytelling like Last of Us? Man, you have no idea of what you're talking about...

Anyway, I like the background art, looks like Daedalic's Deponia art. The characters, on the other hand, are the most generic anime stuff possible.

SteveLPE

Literate
Hey all,

I'm sorry to hear that you're so put off by the write-up. To be clear, we simply meant that we're combining a narrative that is mature and provocative, not the light-hearted fare that a game of our visual style may imply, with gameplay mechanics that reward thoughtful strategy in a turn-based, grid-based anime inspired RPG. I didn't mean to sound like we'd strolled in here saying we're a carbon copy of or shoulder to shoulder with those gaming behemoths!

Since it's the first thing you learn about the game, I can see why it'd be jarring. We'll tone it down and put up a more comprehensive summary of Gravia Tactics.

Felipepepe, was it the visual style or the character profiles we posted that you found forgettable?

Thanks,

SteveLPE

Literate
Hi Bunny,

I've updated the write-up to be clearer and speak about the game itself. The reference to FF was of its thick, character driven narrative. The feedback here made us aware that it came across as name-dropping (which wasn't intentional), when really we were trying to quickly draw loose comparisons rather than go into explaining the details of Gravia.

Sorry again for any confusion! If you have any more feedback we'd be grateful to hear it.

Thanks all.

Steve

Suicidal

Arcane
I think what he meant was that most people here don't consider Final Fantasy and The Last of Us as examples of good story telling and something that is worth striving for.

If you want to appease the Codex you should name drop games like Planescape: Torment or the original Fallout. Personally I don't care about art and story as long as the game itself is fun, so try to focus more on that. Best of luck to you.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
I've updated the write-up to be clearer and speak about the game itself.
well, it's much better now. i like the bit about hunting for info... however there is zero mention of what makes the game an rpg. i notice you have hp/sp and at least xp for levelling, but what kinds of stats will you have? will the characters just level and that's it, jrpg style or will you as a player have some choice beyond gear customization in what a char can or cannot do?

SteveLPE

Literate
Hi Suicidal,

I see your point. I'm a huge fan of Fallout especially, but didn't reference those games as storytelling inspiration because in those games your actions directly influence the outcome of the plot and there's no predefined concept of the protagonist as necessarily heroic or 'good'. It's a great and engrossing system, but not one we felt suited the story we wanted to tell. So Gravia has a much more linear narrative than those games, and the flexibility for the player becomes less about how you interact with the game and more about how you achieve the party's goals.

Thanks Excidium, that's good advice. We're actually already trying to raise awareness in a few other locations right now as well and taking on board the great feedback we're getting here.

Bunny,

That's a good question. The game is more a typical JRPG in the sense that the party is given to you with intended roles, a simple 4 stat system underpins the core combat mechanics and points are allocated automatically upon levelling up. However, we have done our best to inject party tailoring by ensuring that all abilities, gear and battle gameplay mechanics have multiple useful scenarios and produce interesting results when used in a variety of combinations. While a handful of abilities are innate to the character, the rest come attached to gear or can be applied to gear through the use of mods, the most powerful of which come with heavy negatives as well as positives. Its then in the hands of the player to balance their setup in a way that gives them the tactical advantages that suit their playstyle best.

We'll have a 'Learn More' section opened up by the end of this week that will go into much more depth about the game's individual mechanics and we'll be sure to provide some concrete examples of the strategic flexibility we're hoping that those mechanics will open up.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
ya, ima gonna move this thread to jrpgd...
The game is more a typical JRPG in the sense that the party is given to you with intended roles, a simple 4 stat system underpins the core combat mechanics and points are allocated automatically upon levelling up.
suckage. mechanics are important to tactics games. i hope your ability system makes up for that weakness.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Felipepepe, was it the visual style or the character profiles we posted that you found forgettable?
Both. Take a look at this:

party-spud.jpg

This is Generic Anime Art™, trying very hard to make bland characters look "special" by giving them very "unique" accessories and hair colors. That might have worked 20 years ago, but it is now exactly what everyone that can't make a personal style does. A good artist can make even a character using regular clothes, regular haircut and regular build be memorable. It's easy to recognize Kira from Death Note, even thought it is a student in a suit with brown hair and a regular haircut. Same thing with characters from Oreimo; all students with regular clothing and hair, all extremely easy to recognize. Not to mention the characters thenselves are cliches.... I haven't read anything about them, but I bet i can guess all their "personalities", even of the hidden ones:

- Naive but determined and spirited hero,
- Supporting childhood girlfriend that might be a love interest, is more strategic than the hero, but also kind of tsundere.
- Laid-back friend/teacher, more experienced, cynic and "cool".
- Angry kid that's very angry about everything, probably tragic past.
- Dark-skinned muscular guy that punches stuff and has a stupid & confident grin.
- "Wild girl", wearing pirate/tribal clothing. Probably out for revenge.

SteveLPE

Literate
Hi Felipepepe,

Thank you for taking the time to explain your comment a bit further.

The character designs are evolving continually and have already come a long way from the early development image you have posted here, but some of your points could be applied to our most recent work, so I’ll explain our thoughts more generally rather than specifically to that piece.

You’re right in saying that it’s easy to identify the characters’ basic traits from their appearance (your assessment for some characters being more accurate than others), however on a fundamental level this is no different to your example taken from Death Note: Kira looks like a schemer, L an eccentric, Mello – sinister, Near – reserved intellectual, Matsuda – naïve and honest.

Our character appearances are larger exaggerations of their personality traits than Death Note’s, yes, but intentionally. We designed characters that are quickly recognisable, that will cause you to make assumptions about their personality that are really only loosely accurate and go hand in hand with that one dimensional feeling of “life’s an adventure!” that the majority of the cast start with. As the game progresses, the characters quickly find themselves in situations that are not so romantic and many of the tropes that we’ve tapped into are then subverted, revealing the character’s real substance - their grit - to the player and to the character themselves.

Playing up to character archetypes is always going to be a double edged sword. The upside is that many people will instantly be able to identify with your characters – smoothing the opening stages of the game by avoiding the need to explain a character’s history to the player when they’re first introduced. The downside being the situation we find ourselves in here, where it’s assumed that the characters lack real depth, because truthfully, you haven’t had a chance to properly meet them yet.

We feel that we’ve made the right choice on this one, but only time will tell whether the world at large agrees with us! Hopefully you will should you play it once released. If you’re interested, It’d be great to take your e-mail via IM, so that we can invite you to beta test the game when we're at that stage. A harsh critic is always better for improving a game than a soft one!

Thanks everybody for all of your replies. You’ve given us a lot of food for thought and really helped us understand and improve how we’re projecting ourselves.

Thanks again,

Steve

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
You’re right in saying that it’s easy to identify the characters’ basic traits from their appearance (your assessment for some characters being more accurate than others), however on a fundamental level this is no different to your example taken from Death Note: Kira looks like a schemer, L an eccentric, Mello – sinister, Near – reserved intellectual, Matsuda – naïve and honest.
the difference is the level of subtlety in the character design and how exactly the visual recognizability is achieved.

Avellion

Erudite
No idea why you mentioned Fire Emblem, because from what I saw none of the things I typically associate FE (permadeath, finite xp and gold, weapons breaking, ect) doesnt look to be in the game.

Seems like Disgaea is your main inspiration... honestly I dont see why. Building your game around Tactics Ogre and FFT would probably lead to a better game.

As others have stated, both your artstyle and your characters look extremely generic. Why does the protagonist have to be a teenager-young adult? He could be in his 30's or 40s and making him that old may actually make room for a more mature plot and character development. Why does he have to look so naive? The cast as a whole looks as generic as the Broquest characters and those are supposed to be generic. Honestly the best idea in your case might be to take an existing archetype, but then do it with a completely different attitude or take a spin on said character one notable enough not to make him or her feel generic. Actually what is the main theme of your game, build all your characters around said theme, because looking at them again, the crew just seems so... random.

On the topic of story. What exactly makes your story mature? Seems like a basic light vs dark storyline. I am pretty sure your game has a villain, what is his motive? Why is the villain doing what he or she is doing? What is the protagonist's motive?

On the bright side, those side goals during the missions seems to help spice up the game and provide for more complex encounters for those who pursue them. But that is pretty much the only positive thing I can find.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom