Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 5

Gwendo

Augur
I've just watched the latest video about combat, and there's two things bothering me:

- It features a small battle camp: I wonder, what are flying units advantage in this game.
- Surprises at the end of the battle: I wonder how often that will happen. Looks unfair and unpredictable to me. In a strategy game, that's not a very good idea.

What do you think?

Atrokkus

Erudite
Linkies to videos plz. So far i've only seen screenshots.

Nival promised it will be closer to Homm3, which is definately a good sign.
Here in CIS Homm3 is more popular and there is a huge Homm3 fan communities, so i guess since Homm5 is made by our company, they will listen to their fellow gamers.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I've seen them, and I say that I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be much, much worse.

On the other hand, it seems they are really renovating and changing stuff. The good vs Evil battle thing... I don't know what that was.

Deacdo

Liturgist
I'm more excited than concerned. I figure it can't be any worse than HOMM4.

Still, I also noticed the issues Gwendo brought up.

Surlent

Liturgist
Hmm both of those links lead me straight to ptgamers main page without dl.
Anyway i think HOMM5 devs still have plenty of time to finetune the game mechanics. Lots of things can change before the game gets to gold version. So i'm not worried about specifics yet.

Balor

Arcane
"- It features a small battle camp: I wonder, what are flying units advantage in this game. "
Size of battle depends on amount of units (or stacks) in both armies. So, if you have large army, you'll have your big battlefield.
"- Surprises at the end of the battle: I wonder how often that will happen. Looks unfair and unpredictable to me. In a strategy game, that's not a very good idea."
As I understand, the dragon was saving the Infernal Hero. Perhaps it's not 'random', but prepared event.

Gwendo

Augur
Size of battle depends on amount of units (or stacks) in both armies. So, if you have large army, you'll have your big battlefield.

It doesn't make sense. Big or small armies, flying units have always advantage and should reach the enemy first than walking units. Why should battlefields be smaller for smaller armies? That's not logic. That would just make even more important archery and flying units.

The only advantage is that battles would be faster. But handicapping strategy and tactics to obtain that, it's a dubious decision.

Surlent

Liturgist
About the dragon..... new HOMM5 FAQ says something like this:
HoMM5 FAQ said:
What are these “random events”? What about that dragon appearing at the end of the trailer and the E3 demo?
That was a cliffhanger?. This was done to round out the end of the sequence nicely, with some surprise. Perhaps it is also linked to the story…I’ve read wild speculations about this being a gameplay element using random appearances that could break the game flow. This is an assumption based on a rumor, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom