Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hinterland - looks interesting

Oarfish

Prophet
Homepage here

Combo city builder / rpg, with what could well be some dwarf fortress influences and certainly some roguelike ones - no save scumming and world generation. They also say they are focussing on the small scale roots of folklore rather than the epic.

Over the years of working together we also realized that we all feel that many of our favorite moments in games are starting new characters, or setting out in a fresh unknown land, and Hinterland focuses on this by keeping the scale of items, resources and characters very intimate… almost humble. A strong farmer could be an invaluable asset in early combat encounters, but losing him could be disastrous when it comes time to feed your people. In fact, to ensure that this experience is as fun as possible, when you have started to peak out, you win and are encouraged to play again! To support this we ensure you can’t exploit load and saving, the games are fairly short (under 6 hours) but very, very random in terms of replayabilty.

We also were so tired of going to E3 and seeing 'some chick with a massive sword' running around. What happened to the roots of fantasy and folklore and why not explore some of that space visually?

With third party development tools getting better and better (and more affordable), as well as new means of digital distribution opening up, developers are finally able to bring high quality, innovative, original games to the audience themselves, in relatively short development cycles, without having to focus on chasing the killer screenshot. AAA big budget games are great - we love them, we've made them, we play them - but there are also a lot of other great games out there, and finally the independent games scene is being taken seriously.

In before narrative fags. This is definately going on my watch list.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The game really sounds like it could work. I always loved the idea of trying to start some kind of colony in a fantasy game. This will be one game I'll keep watch on.

Starwars

Arcane
Definetely sounds interesting, hope it will live up to its promise. Will keep my eye on this for sure.

Virtz

Educated
Kind of odd for a game to be announced a few months before release, especially without any screenshots. Also worrisome that apparently the people responsible for SimCity Societies have anything to do with it. Never the less, it sounds good.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Virtz said:
Kind of odd for a game to be announced a few months before release, especially without any screenshots. Also worrisome that apparently the people responsible for SimCity Societies have anything to do with it. Never the less, it sounds good.

Oh shit, those are the guys who made it? Man, well it wasn't a horrible game but the general premise of it was kind of wasted.

They made Children of the Nile and pulled that off nicely so I'm sure they can make the colony elements not suck horribly.

The idea of it kind of reminds me of Mount&Blade as well.

Jora

Arcane
The producer of the game was lead designer on Prelude to Darkness.

Callaxes

Arbiter
I love the artwork, but...

barbarians.jpg

Wrong clothing!

Oarfish

Prophet
Not if your a dwarf. A kitten leather thong is totally appropriate glacier wear for the dwarf about muddy hole in the ground.

Shoelip

Arbiter
It would be more interesting if the potential scale extended beyond quaint little village in the middle of nowhere.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Maybe it needs more Collar crabbing ACTION!!!

I hope this is good, because i would Love a game like this.
So time to get the favour returned Satan owes me.

BigWeather

Augur
Really looking forward to this. Two screenshots have now been posted at http://www.tiltedmill.com/hinterland/#screenshots .

I love the scale. In my opinion this is realistically the only way to rework the genre to be more dynamic -- start local, see what works and doesn't, and then tackle adding a more dynamic environment to a bigger scale.

oldschool

Scholar
Cool. Finally a new game I might give a crap about. Nice concept art, too.

farmattack.jpg

I hope dude is wearing something under that loincloth. Judging by the look on peasant #2, I'm guessing not.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Looks excellent, I vibe heavily with the 'setting out into a new world' aspect as well. My favorite part of Civ is in the early periods when you're all still scrambling for land and exploiting the resources, so this sounds right up my alley.

oldschool

Scholar
The more I read about it, the more I like. I'll be very interested to see how it works out for them. I think they have the right idea with targetting low spec hardware and using digital distribution at a cheap price. Not to mention having the extraordinary idea of actually putting some gameplay into a role playing GAME.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom