Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Hollow Home - isometric narrative RPG about Russian invasion of Ukraine

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
https://www.hollowhomegame.com

Look what I found on Steam during Ukrainian Games Festival 2023:

Hollow Home is an isometric narrative RPG about the russian invasion of Ukraine. Playing as 14-year-old teenager Maksym, the game begins on the eve of russia’s full-scale invasion, with what turns out to be the last 24 hours of the protagonist’s carefree childhood. As you wake up the next morning to the sound of falling bombs and incoming artillery, Maks’s new reality is trying to stay alive as russian forces wipe out his city.

Hollow Home’s gameplay relies heavily on dialogue and branching questlines to tell the story of the city that fades away under this relentless assault from invasion forces. There is no combat system and no actual violence happening in front of you – instead, the game focuses on the impact of war, not the graphic details. You will explore the city, get to know various characters and try to help them. But time is not on your side. Tougher decisions await you with the dawning of each day.

Hollow Home shows the nightmare of war through the eyes of a child. As ordinary people caught in the middle of a battlefield succumb to horror and despair, the player witnesses the city become a shadow of its former self.

Features:

War-torn city. Three districts are available for exploration. But the city will change over time, with whole areas destroyed by shelling or shut off after being occupied by enemy troops. One day you meet some survivors, the next day there are only ghosts in their place.
Your choices matter. The game’s quests are focused on surviving and helping others to survive. But you have a limited number of action points each day, forcing you to face painful decisions. There are no easy choices in a city under invasion.
Survival skills. Learn cooking, crafting, medical and other skills by interacting with characters and completing quests.
The visual presentation of the game gives strong Disco Elysium vibes. Character development, inventory and exploration confirmed. No combat but lots of choices with consequences.
ss_51791b4acf7221434f08eedfc5d6e014d62f0379.600x338.jpg
ss_a13cbe44948b54bcc6ce4f98b583774fdc631525.600x338.jpg

ss_d889d73c7d737287adbf478c3d4f082f1820a5da.600x338.jpg
ss_b23c328cb6856f6cbb656d8cf6ebb257003f5659.600x338.jpg

ss_7a97a0df812cb38bd3a502d05119dc6cd97a8b4c.600x338.jpg
ss_2dd68b88af2bfeeca7f86eb01c12d7b2772065c9.600x338.jpg

ss_da5a1e4549092db800b9e92d06964a2bdfb6ab18.600x338.jpg

I hope creators of this game manage to pull this ambitious endevor off. It can be something really special if they succeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Did you play "This War of Mine"? Sounds really similar to this title.
No, I have it in my libray, but there is always something more appealing to play. I'm sure going to play it though.

This game seems different because it focuses not so much on actual horrors of war (no onscreen violence), but on traumas it brings. There are survival elements, but no combat. Which is understandable since the PC is a 14-year old boy.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Could be interesting in concept, I am not sure if the Story should be told until the conflict is over though as it could then reference actual events into the setting

As it is now it could most likely just be a fantasy setting while it's being sold for those supporting the people living in the Ukraine.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Will there be mobs of annoying Azns and Pakis pretending to be Vatnigs, for that authentic Special Military Operation™ experience?

Cross

Arcane
Looks like a Disco Elysium Clone, but eh. If it's decent I play it
World needs more games like Disco Elysium. I hope they won't just clone the formula but develop it and imbue it with new meanings.
The problem with the Disco Elysium formula is that it doesn't lend itself to making a compelling game. An "adventure RPG" would be more fun to play if it had adventure game style item interaction and a text parser or some other freeform mechanics. Quest for Glory is a far better RPG/adventure game hybrid than Disco Elysium.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
World needs more games like Disco Elysium. I hope they won't just clone the formula but develop it and imbue it with new meanings.
The problem with the Disco Elysium formula is that it doesn't lend itself to making a compelling game. An "adventure RPG" would be more fun to play if it had adventure game style item interaction and a text parser or some other freeform mechanics. Quest for Glory is a far better RPG/adventure game hybrid than Disco Elysium.
Sure, like Quest for Glory is a far better RPG/adventure game hybrid than say Fallout. Since both Fallout and Disco Elysium are RPGs though, it doesn't matter

Cross

Arcane
Sure, like Quest for Glory is a far better RPG/adventure game hybrid than say Fallout. Since both Fallout and Disco Elysium are RPGs though, it doesn't matter
Disco Elysium is not an RPG. If you can't role-play as the most basic character archetype, a brute good at combat, it's not a role-playing game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't get the appeal of this game. I mean, I play RPG's most for escapism. Anyway, living under orcland occupation must be really hard.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This isn't the first game to cash in on the Ukraine conflict but certainly the most elaborate. The others were cheap meme games.

Honestly games set in currently ongoing conflicts are kinda weird.

Harthwain

Magister
World needs more games like Disco Elysium.
That's not very likely though. It requires creativity and good writing skills, which are hard to quantify. Unless you mean the mechanics. But even then a heavily narrative-driven game requires good setting and writing to be interesting.

Misleading title. Should say "Disco Elysium clone" instead of RPG.
It's called "synonym".

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I play RPG's most for escapism
some folks only absorb media via vidya, as in, they don't listen to news or watch television or read books but will spend their time playing anything under the sun if it looks remotely fun. this is a good way to teach what's going on in the world to hermetically sealed shut-ins in between their hentai gaming sessions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom