Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HOMM5 FAQ at Official page

Surlent

Liturgist
Nival devs have put HOMM5 FAQ on their page. They go pretty indepth and give some good answers.

HOMM5 FAQ said:
Finally, in the great realm of multiplayer gameplay, there will be a lot of new features. There is a mode where you will be able to play, even when it’s not your turn to play! This is a revolutionary mode for turn-based games. So, all in all, I believe we are making a real step forward. ?
Fans of turn based games are in for a treat with this one. Viva la revolution! :)

Spotted at RPGDot.

Deathy

Liturgist
Well, since this is in multiplayer, and it's a mode rather than "the way things are" I guess it isn't so bad. It doesn't seem that much different what was said there than the simultaneous turns feature SE:IV had (I've never tried it, since I don't like the massive style changes that the game would undoubtedly have).

Unless you're ultra hard core, waiting half an hour for your turn in a multiplayer game really isn't fun, although Ibbz and I have had an occasional six month long game of SE:IV by mail, and they were a blast.

In any case, I'm fairly worried by the idea that they're making the game more accessible to casual gamers, since it seems to me that the series has traditionally been low in complexity compared to some other empire building turn based strategy titles.

Surlent

Liturgist
Yeah, some quick mode wouldn't hurt. It was more the use of words that sounded funny there. I actually think it's pretty good faq, they address lots of fans' concerns.

And what comes to the tuning down...
from the faq said:
Why are you simplifying the game?
Though we’ve never said that we were simplifying the game, I’ve read this in some forums. I understand that fans have concerns about Heroes gameplay that they have enjoyed in the past. The truth is that the game is not being simplified compared to previous versions. The fact is that we’re making a game that is easier to access, and faster to play.

We’re working on a tutorial to help new players get up to speed (precisely because this game has a great deal of depth), along with a detailed world and intricate storyline.

It also means working on the game ergonomics and making multiplayer faster to play. Not seeing some interface or lengthy text doesn’t mean the inner structure was simplified, just that it will be easier to navigate in the game.
I think they're trying to make the interface quicker and easier to use. Though hiding some text or information isn't probably best idea if it has relevant meaning in the game. You need all the info you can get to make good strategies.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Battles, for instance, can be played in turn-based or in dynamic mode
Hmm, if RT is a must have feature these days, why nobody wants to actually use the word? Dynamic mode, simultaneous action system, smart pause system, continuous turn-based, real-time turn-based, etc?

Deacdo

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Battles, for instance, can be played in turn-based or in dynamic mode
Hmm, if RT is a must have feature these days, why nobody wants to actually use the word? Dynamic mode, simultaneous action system, smart pause system, continuous turn-based, real-time turn-based, etc?
Because they're catering to a audience (in their interviews) who wants turn-based combat.

That better be just for the multiplayer mode.

magerette

Novice
from the faq:
The default size of the battlefield is similar to previous games, in terms of the number of cells. It will switch to a smaller size, if both armies are small (with few stacks). The goal here is to play small battles faster, to speed up the game, especially the first encounters. You can, however, easily force a large battlefield, if your strategy requires it, by having more stacks. Sieges will be played on the largest version.

Interesting take on accelerating the gameplay. The early battles didn't seem to drag all that much to me, but scaling the hexes to numbers of stacks might be okay. Hopefully it won't effect the element of strategy involved in the timing and sequence of unit attacks. To me it seems the gameplay speed of the battle is determined more by the varying speed of your units(i.e., how many hexes they can travel per turn) than by the size of the battlefield.
Is the combat completely automated?
No, it is not. This impression could be coming from the E3 demo. We removed all interface from the battle phase and all controls. This was done to get the best sequence of action, and elaborate better cameras. We didn’t want to show the control system at this stage.

Yes, automated combat is kind of antithetical to the basic premise of tb strategy.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I hope there is no RT-elements there... it just denies the idea of tb-strategy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom