Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How about a musical RPG?

Keldryn

Arcane
And I don't mean an RPG where you do things by playing music (eg Ocarina of Time or Loom). I'm talking about a full-on musical, where a character breaks into song when thinking about his or her fondest desire, or the main villain sings about his sinister plan while his lackeys perform a choreographed dance routine, echoing his plans during the chorus. Most of the main dramatic point of the story would play out through such musical scenes.

They could be interactive too. Rather than a standard dialogue, a specific conversation between an NPC and the player would be a duet, and the player would have different choices as to what the next line in his verse will be. Of course not every dialogue would be this way, but some important ones could be.

It wouldn't be a completely serious game, but it wouldn't necessarily be slapstick-funny either. Perhaps the musical nature would be a part of the plot -- the main quest is to investigate why everybody is suddenly breaking out into song (Everybody! "I've got a theory... that's it's a demon... a dancing demon.... No, something isn't right there."), but no so obvious as everyone being possessed or under a spell.

(It must be bunnies!)

Or go for broke, and base the art style completely on the theatre. It could be more elaborate, for sure, but when loading a new area, you would see the current area being torn down, and the new "set" being put together. The dialogue interface would look like a script, and the dialogue choices not chosen would be crossed-out as the chosen line is spoken. The player could have a limited number of times to yell "cut!" and try playing out a scene a different way. In combat, sacs of fake blood would burst when someone is hit, and spell effects might be lowered down on ropes, or tossed out from off the screen. When a "heal" spell is cast, a make-up artist or costumer runs onto the stage and fixes the character up.

I'm just pining for something *different* that's all...

LlamaGod

Cipher
there was one made by the evil Japanese for PS1 called Rhapsody, I think

Twinfalls

Erudite
Hmm. I once thought of writing 'Frogger the Musical', with songs like

'To-niiight.... I'll cross this road, to-niiight
neither truck, nor croc, will block
my paaaaath.
To-NIIIIIGHHHHHT.......(etc)'

and

'Up-on this floating looooog
I travel down the stream
Peril on either siiiide (peril on either siiide) (etc)'

and even

'I shed...........
Croco-dile tears' (etc)

Of course they sound even worse with the tunes I'd given them.

To be honest, a musical game sounds like a daft gimmick. You want something different, well the last thing gaming needs to be 'different' is more hackneyed themes and styles borrowed from Hollywood or film and television in general. There's been too much aping of film and TV in games already, its a big part of why so much of gaming has become bloated, stupid pap.

Twinfalls

Erudite
The Codex 'Tommy'

That deaf dumb and blind kid - sure played a mean Fallout

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Hmmm... sort of made me think of the theater level in Psychonauts. I guess it could work on an insane creativity level, as long as it doesn't get bogged down in details or attempts to lengthen the game beyond its strong point. Heck, 10+ years ago it seemed like voice acting was out of the question. Why not combine musicals and games?

Section8

Cipher
As much as I think a full-blown musical game would be curious, it would be shameless gimmickry. Plus, you have to consider that it's expected a typical game is 20+ hours at the very least, so that's a lotta tunes.

But still, the idea of staged (literally) gameplay is kinda cute and could work without being entirely musical. Different is good. I've been playing ToEE, and Zaxis is hilarious, not because he sings everything, but because he's like the faggy Bard RP gone too far, to the point where the other players want him out of their RP circle.

Zaxis: "I'm...inspiring courage! I'm...inspiring you! I'm insp..."
Munchkin: "Dude, seriously. Stop that shit.
Zaxis: "But! I'm only staying in char-acte-er! All in all you're just another break in the fourth wall."
Munchkin: "You don't have to sing *everything*! Besides, you're making the rest of us look bad. When my paladin falls and tries to become a blackguard, they'll probably reject my application just because your faggy ass is hanging around. So shut the fuck up. Learn another performance skill."
Zaxis: "Genital origami! You and your army! Will never harm me! Because I... "
Player: <whack> "Nob."

Oh and Loom was fantastic. What a fabulous and intuitive magic system.

Zomg

Arbiter
It would be a cute if cloying gimmick to make a game stand out, but in the current environment just being an RPG makes a game stand out. It might be a good idea for a so called "casual" game, though, which do need something to separate them from the Bejewelleds and Mine Sweepers.

bryce777

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
Hmm. I once thought of writing 'Frogger the Musical', with songs like

'To-niiight.... I'll cross this road, to-niiight
neither truck, nor croc, will block
my paaaaath.
To-NIIIIIGHHHHHT.......(etc)'

and

'Up-on this floating looooog
I travel down the stream
Peril on either siiiide (peril on either siiide) (etc)'

and even

'I shed...........
Croco-dile tears' (etc)

Of course they sound even worse with the tunes I'd given them.

To be honest, a musical game sounds like a daft gimmick. You want something different, well the last thing gaming needs to be 'different' is more hackneyed themes and styles borrowed from Hollywood or film and television in general. There's been too much aping of film and TV in games already, its a big part of why so much of gaming has become bloated, stupid pap.

That is hysterical.

The original idea sounds a lot like the buffy episode once more with feeling. It would be great because people would dance themsleves to death.

Mulciber

Novice
The description for Guitar Hero reads like there are some RPG elements in it. I just ordered the game today. If there's any interest here in me providing a review, just let me know.

gromit

Arcane
So how do you make it so that the player-character's lines fit musically without either pulling a Farhenheit and giving them limited time to respond, or making them wait for the loop to come around to when the audio can play and fit? Even if the player's lines go unsung, they'd still have to wait a few beats for the next NPC line to start playing, or the music would all fall apart.

For the record, this is an awesome, awesome idea, but I just can't think of a way to preserve the musical "flow" without making dialogue infuriating for the player in one direction or the other.

Mulciber said:
Guitar Hero... some RPG elements... any interest
I don't think anyone needs a full review, but I'm kind of interested in hearing about some of these supposed "RPG elements," just because non-linearity, or at least a few changes of context here and there, could lend some replay value to the game beyond the traditional "grrr... I've got to get a perfect!"

Balor

Arcane
Keldryn is Indian.
Even if he's not, he should move there... for two reasons:
He'll have his passion for music satisfied.
It's pretty undeveloped country, so, with some luck, he'll end up w/o no internet at all, and we'll be free from his... well... just use your twisted imagination to conjure about 1 kilobyte of vile insults at his idea.
I'd just stay with one word:

Disgusting.

P.S.
I know, it may be fun for some, ok.
But being bumfucked is fun for some, too.
*shrugs*

P.S.S.
I kinda liked what he wrote in levelled loot thread. but this is... well... see about and Kamaz reply.

Keldryn

Arcane
Even if he's not, he should move there... for two reasons:
He'll have his passion for music satisfied.
It's pretty undeveloped country, so, with some luck, he'll end up w/o no internet at all, and we'll be free from his... well... just use your twisted imagination to conjure about 1 kilobyte of vile insults at his idea.
I'd just stay with one word:

Disgusting.

I think it's pretty obvious that when you were born, Charisma was your dump stat.

P.S.
I know, it may be fun for some, ok.
But being bumfucked is fun for some, too.
*shrugs*

Then don't play it. You're speaking from personal experience on the bumfucking, huh?

Keldryn

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
To be honest, a musical game sounds like a daft gimmick.

It's not a gimmick. It's a stylistic chioce. I doubt that such a game would have much mass market appeal anyway. I just think it's a cool idea.

You want something different, well the last thing gaming needs to be 'different' is more hackneyed themes and styles borrowed from Hollywood or film and television in general. There's been too much aping of film and TV in games already, its a big part of why so much of gaming has become bloated, stupid pap.

Umm, musicals started out in the theatre long before there were any TV or film musicals. There's more to culture and art than movies and TV. :cool:

Keldryn

Arcane
Greatatlantic said:
Hmmm... sort of made me think of the theater level in Psychonauts. I guess it could work on an insane creativity level, as long as it doesn't get bogged down in details or attempts to lengthen the game beyond its strong point. Heck, 10+ years ago it seemed like voice acting was out of the question. Why not combine musicals and games?

I loved that level in Psychonauts, but I only played that within the last couple of weeks. This is an idea I've had in my head for several years, even before seeing the "One More Time, With Feeling..." episode of Buffy.

As for getting bogged down in attempts to lengthen the game beyond its strong point... Well, RPGs have been inflating their length with pointless random battles, FedEx quests, and convoluted mazes. You see lots of RPGs advertising 40-60 hours of play time, but in many you spend a good half of that play time engaged in battles that have nothing to do with the game's plot.

Keldryn

Arcane
wallace said:
So how do you make it so that the player-character's lines fit musically without either pulling a Farhenheit and giving them limited time to respond, or making them wait for the loop to come around to when the audio can play and fit? Even if the player's lines go unsung, they'd still have to wait a few beats for the next NPC line to start playing, or the music would all fall apart.

I was thinking of having the NPC sing his or her lines, then the music continues in the background until the player chooses his line. There wouldn't be a time limit on input. Yeah, the music would be broken up a bit, but I wouldn't want to force the player to choose a line quickly just to avoid a pause.

For the record, this is an awesome, awesome idea, but I just can't think of a way to preserve the musical "flow" without making dialogue infuriating for the player in one direction or the other.

I'm glad somebody here likes it. :) I think you would have to sacrifice some of the musical "flow" in order to make in interactive. Have fragments of background music that fit in with the music when the characters are singing, and wait until the end of the current music fragment to start playing a response. It would have pauses in the singing, but the music could be made to sound fairly good. The old Wing Commander games would piece together fragments of music (and speed them up or slow them down), depending on how you were performing during the mission.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom