Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How are you going to sell it?

Human Shield

Augur
I'd recommend you charge for it. It would help make a possible second game even better, and motivate you to get it finished in a timely manner. It looks better then most things coming out anyways. You can release it for free after a few years.

I think you should try to get on here. A lot of TB strategy fans use it, it good free marketing and reliable distribution. And I have tickets sitting around.

Psilon

Erudite
Yeah, I was going to suggest TotalGaming as well. I don't have an account myself, but it seems like a pretty good channel. I've never had a problem updating/reinstalling GalCiv through Stardock Central.

Human Shield

Augur
This is the about page, with contact info in the pdf.

They use a long RPG as an example in their document but they don't have one on their lineup.

One thing you should like is the discrete downloading feature. They would help you split your game up between core code, music, videos, manuals, animation, etc... So even the poor dial-up users you worry about with space limits can get the main game and start playing.

Probably also allows you to upload any upgrades you need and the patches are streamed and installed to all users.

I'm really in love with their business scene, they got shrewed by publishers several times so tried to make a better way (exactly what that Escapist article suggested).

I think it would get the title beyond Codex visitors.

And you can pay $70 for 10 tickets and each ticket is like $10, so you get thirty bucks for free.

Atrokkus

Erudite
So how are players supposed to pay for it? Through PayPal? (i never bought a game on inet, i don't even have an international debitcard, but on this special occasion i'll use my bro's)

RGE

Liturgist
I have PayPal, but I'm way too cheap to pay monthly fees on a credit card which I would hardly use (because I'm too cheeeap!).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What monthly fees? The interest? If you hardly use a card or pay the bill in full, there are no monthly fees (I guess you are talking about interest here). Some cards, usually the gold ones, have annual fees, but most cards are free. Unless things are very, very different in Europe.

Zli

Novice
They're not. And if you don't want a credit card you can usually get an internet-only debit card. I think the maintanance fees are less than 0.5 euros/month. Just check with a couple of banks...

Atrokkus

Erudite
Ermm.. maybe we should employ D2 economy... SoJs, anyone?

Jokes aside, I think there should be a way to pay as easy as possible, so that even my fellow Russian spam-bots could do it ^_^

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I haven't really looked into selling methods yet. I know it's possible and that there's a number of ways, so I'll deal with that later on. I have no idea what payment methods are available to Russians/Eastern European folks, so you tell me.

PS. If your honest attempts to pay fail, you can always pirate it.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Basically, payment is possible from any part of the world, via international credit cards, so it's pretty much possible.
The thing is that I, for insance, have no use for such cards here, other than paying for games. But I'll have no prob with that, will be glad to pay for it (if i get my bro to allow me to use his card, he lives in US)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
I have no idea what payment methods are available to Russians/Eastern European folks, so you tell me.
I bought my Spiderweb games using eVisa. Up to now every internet shop I tried that accepted normal Visas also accepted my card, although I heard it was not a general rule.
If there's anything I want to buy via Internet, I always use eVisa. Mostly because it's safe.
As far as I know, anyone can get an eVisa in Poland (e.g. from mBank).

corvax

Augur
I'm willing to help just make sure you include a complimentary bag of weed or few crack rocks. It'll be selling like hotcakes down here in Jersey and NYC.

RGE

Liturgist
Zli said:
They're not. And if you don't want a credit card you can usually get an internet-only debit card. I think the maintanance fees are less than 0.5 euros/month. Just check with a couple of banks...
The banks here in Sweden seem to charge at least 2 euros/month in maintenance fees, even for cards that can only be used on the internet. And considering how rarely I buy stuff that needs a credit card instead of a direct transfer from my bank account, it's just not worth it for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom