Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How did you win the last fight in SoZ ?

Erebus

Arcane
The final battle in Storm of Zehir is quite challenging and one of the most entertaining parts of the game. I'm pretty curious to know how players with very different parties managed to win it.

Needless to say, people who haven't finished the game probably shouldn't read what follows.

My party consisted of four 15th-level characters : a rogue, a cleric (Water and Healing ; not very powerful as far as melee is concerned), a wizard and a sorcerer. Since the loot is quite poor in SoZ and I never bothered with the crafting system, their equipment wasn't too good.

The Herald of Zehir was the main threat. Any of my PCs getting in contact with this killing machine was likely to meet a swift death. My Stoneskin and Mirror Image spells did not hinder him at all. The fact that he and several other enemies had Evasion rendered many of my spells of little use.
N'Safa had a lot of priest spells : he could Destroy PCs too close to him, banish my summons, use Earthquake, blind my PCs (fortunately, I had spells and potions to fix that), etc. He could also heal himself, which made him hard to kill.
The 7 or 8 other enemies were less deadly but too dangerous to be ignored.
Finally, the four praying guys regularly generated magical effects.

I summoned what I could and sent my sorcerer (with Expeditious Retreat) forward. She had a scroll of Wail of the Banshee (freshly plundered from the temple's library), which she used to great effect as soon as the fight began. My wizard used a scroll of Meteor Swarm against one of the praying guys, my priest targetted another with two Ice Storms and I sent my rogue to murder the other two. While my summons acted as meat shields, I used Finger of Death and Destruction spells to slay all the remaining lesser enemies. Once I was facing only the Herald and N'Safa, I cast some summon spells again and healed my wounded PCs. I had the Herald chase my rogue. Thus isolated, he was a perfect target for Missile Storm spells (fortunately, I had a lot of those). I had my priest attack N'Safa to keep him busy. Once the herald fell, finishing N'Safa was a piece of cake. The whole affair involved a lot of running around.

I'd be quite interested in knowing how less magic-heavy parties managed to win this fight. Is it actually possible to kill the Herald with melee fighters ?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In before Vol says OMG IT WAS SO FUCKING EASY!!! LOLOLLLLLOLL!!!!! You must be fucking stupid if you had a problem with this fight! LOLOLLLLL!!

:roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nah. I'll probably never know how hard or easy SOZ's final battle is since I've stopped playing it, and I don't know if I'm gonna bother with it at all, anymore. Still installed; but that's about it.

Balthamael

Liturgist
I had a sorcerer, a rogue, a cleric and a barbarian, all 16th level or so. Beat the battle on my first attempt, on normal difficulty, within a couple of rounds, without losing significant amount of hitpoints. I have a striking suspicion that I got amazingly lucky.

I opened the battle by having the sorcerer cast finger of death on the high priest, didn't really expect it to work, but...you never know. He failed his save, and as he died a floating text appeared on the screen, saying: "Epic resilience...how embarrassing." The herald died in a couple of rounds as my sorcerer pummelled it with greater missile storms. I think there were some other guys in the area as well, but I can't remember what happened to them. I guess someone killed them when I wasn't looking.

fractal

Novice
Finished it on hardcore difficulty, although I did save mid-battle and it took me quite a few tries from there.

My party consisted of Warlock/Hellfire Warlock (14/3), Fighter/Dwarven Defender (7/10), Favoured Soul (17), Swashbuckler/Rogue/Ranger (5/7/4). The DD had an AC of 49 in defensive stance, so with Regeneration and the occasional Heal he could divert the Herald's attention from the other PCs. The favoured soul could only cast Level 7 spells because of too low charisma :| (I remembered that Cha and not Wis was the primary stat when she was Level 15 already).

Before the battle my warlock managed to summon a pit fiend, which definitely helped.
At the start I rushed N'Safa with my DD and the favoured soul (2xHarm), and got the warlock on it. He died in 2 rounds. My Rogue started shooting the Zealots, while the DD and warlock focused on the snakelord who went down pretty quickly too. After that there was the Herald, 2 Holy Guardians and 2 Purebloods left. I withdrew everyone back to the stairs since I thought the Storm of Vengeance/Arcane Storm was focused on the area with the statues (might be it covers the whole level though). Killed the two purebloods (one was a warlock, very annoying), recast Regen/Heal on my DD and sent him on the Herald again, while the Rogue engaged one Guardian in melee. Warlock with hellfire blast (favoured soul kept hitting him with wand of restoration) eventually finished the Herald.

Challenging battle in all, very fun.

Is it actually possible to kill the Herald with melee fighters ?
He has a DR of 15, although I don't know if any weapons can bypass it. I think he's also vulnerable to sneak attacks, so a high AC char with cleric backup should keep him busy, while a Fighter/Rogue keep sneak attacking him might work. Any character engaging him in melee should have enough backup weapons because he likes to disarm, which with his +45 or so attack bonus usually succeeds. I doubt it's possible without cleric backup, at least on the higher difficulties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom