Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you design a Detective RPG?

Callaxes

Arbiter
An exclusive detective computer game where you hardly ever fight, where you don't have an Intelligence stat, but rather half a dozen different sub divisions of intellect.

I thinking on a mixture between a RPG and a strategy game where you're the head of a team of 10+ investigators. These guys can handle the grinding elements of the job, like digging up info on the victim, asking questions, tracing the stolen car the killer got away with or putting a surveillance on a suspect.

Your guy on the other hand has the job of putting everything together and analyzing the clues and events. Here's the first problem.

On one hand you can make everything stat-based and let the detective figure things out by himself. If you're team collects the info, then there's little input from the player other then waiting for the PC to figure things out. If the player is given the task to collect the info, you know just so he'd have something to do, then you'd just end up grinding in a scavenger hunt.

On the other hand you can allow the player to have a significant input on the reconstruction of the crime and let him take the right course of action. The problem here is that you'd have to design rather simple cases to solve, rather then come up with really original and hard nuts to crack, the kind that would end up on the Baker street irregulars.

Either way you end up with more of a Adventure game then a RPG, which would be a wasted effort. The detective work should be handled the same way combat is handled in RPGs. In combat we have a set of strategical options that are limited by our alter egos abilities. So first we define those abilities and limits:

1. There are no physical stats, you don't need them.
2. The two main stats that matter the most are Observation and Analysis
3. Observation determines how good you are at noticing the layer of dust in the room, the slight smell of dye in someones hair, the tone of voice of a witness or the exact personality of a person just by looking at him. Low Observation will notice the smudge of mud on persons shoes, a high observation will tell you from which part of the city the person was walking today by the color of the mud.
4. Analysis determines how you good you are at creating links between the facts. The better you are, the further you can connect people with events.

i.e. A detective with low Analysis will be able to connect a possible suspect with the murder weapon your team found, the fact that he is left handed and the shot that killed the victim was from such an angle that it would be difficult to achieve using the right arm and of course that his alibi is bullsiht. But you have to get more evidence to be able to convict him and sometimes your guy might be wrong.

A detective with high Analysis will connect the gunman with the victim, but he will also tie him with a robbery that happened 16 years ago which involved the same kind of gun caliber, a quarrel that might have ensued between him and the victims brother, money they owed to a Swedish mob boss, a receipt for 12 kilos of ice bags that he planned on using to freeze the body and even a third person that was present at the shooting.

Okay now the strategy part. Eh... I don't really know. The first thing that springs to mind is selecting your actions from a list like in a dialog, but again it feels like an Adventure game. Of course, there should be moments like this, were you choose from a list of options. For example, you're reconstructing in your mind the crime that took place:

He came through the door at 12:45, he saw the victim a started having arguing over the money.

1. They blame each other.
2. The victim offers to pay up and ask for just a few more days.
3. They put together a plan to kill the victims wife and blame it on someone else.
4. There is a third man in the room who provokes the killer.

Each of these options lead to different results in the reconstruction, sometimes just one is correct, sometimes more are. If you pick the wrong option then things won't add up in the end so you'll eventually get the right on. However, new things might appear so the wrong option might turn out the be the right one in time.

The whole reconstruction of events should be the result of hard work, good team management, hours (in an abstract way) of research and going through the facts. You'll have the mental dialog with yourself over the reconstruction atleast 14 times before you solve the case.

Except for that, I don't know how to create an emergent gameplay with lite strategic elements that leave it up to the player to use them in his way and multiple solutions for the same goal.

The second problem would be to procedurally generate these crimes so that the player would not rely on memory to cheat.

Any ideas?

I could probably work a detective role into my 'living village'
game by setting up the conditions
e.g. homicidal guy

in a proper detective game everything has to be simulated anyway

Therefore you can tell guys to trail another guy, do stakeouts, look at past cases,
everything will take care of itself and be procedural.

Im doing the legal system at the moment, then I can create criminals.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Only one correct solution in a detective story -> a bad RPG.
It's great for an adventure game though.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The entire thing would depend on innovative AI (or appearance of), and incremental, exploratory design.

It would likely involve movement between locations, cross-examination of emergently-created-and-interlinked-evidence, emergent dialogue

The core scenario would have to be pre-designed, but the suspects would be randomized.

The CSI aspect could be heavy in this game, using high-tech equipment and databases.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sounds more like an innovative adventure game than an RPG.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Arcanum system:
With a high persuasion skill, you are better in obtaining informations from people, you can even obtain confessions.
Intimidating, the ability to frighten suspects, to use in tandem with persuasion, alone will lead to unpredictable outcomes.
Technology inclined, your laboratory will obtain more info and more accurate too.
Intuition, the ability to fill the gaps.
Intelligence, the ability to deduct the obvious, the core stat.

The best model however is Deux Ex, your stats decide your game-style and outcome of your investigations.
By the way failure or getting it wrong are indispensable features.

Zeus

Cipher
Callaxes said:
An exclusive detective computer game where you hardly ever fight,

But... but... but..!

detectives.jpg

Detectives need to fight all the time. :cry:

J1M

Arcane
I suggest you try watching some episodes of Law & Order (the first series, not the spin-off). The goal of a detective is often to get a conviction, and usually the couple of suspects they have are very obvious.

Watch some of those good episodes and I think you will agree that your game "levels" should have a structure similar to:
-EXPLORE the crime scene
-COLLECT some clues (but it's ok if you miss some)
-INTERROGATE several suspects, getting a mix of true and untrue information
-COMBINE the information into a theory
-ARREST the prime suspect
-FIND the additional evidence the npc district attorney needs to make the case

All of the words I put in caps are activities that should be naturally fun. I don't see this idea benefiting from a CSI-type "confession every time". Success should be measured based on the outcome of the trial, where you hear something like "they gave him 8 of the maximum 20 years". Where you managed to solve the case, but know that you could have built a stronger one.

Murk

Arcane
LIke those before this setting naturally leads itself to Adventure games, hell check out Roxor's LP of The Shivah, it was basically a 'detective story'.

I would really like to see an RPG set in a noir setting with some surreal elements in it but one that doesn't deviate from 'reality' too much. Maybe Shadowrun like?

It would seem that an RPG - in depth combat is basically an adventure game...

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
You could make stats for the whole team. Ballistic experts, top-notch lab, an IT wizard... Their advancement depending on which of the team members' skills you can put to the best use (eg.you don't find a blood stain, your lab has nothing to analyze).

Therefore you would have your personal stats, defining your ability to direct the whole team towards success, and somehow abstract team stats, which would define your prevalent techniques in crime fighting.

And I'd like some combat too, but it should be completely avoidable (and quite likely to be avoided). As a detective who investigates murder cases you can never feel completely safe and a detective RPG should reflect that.

EDIT: To those who say that a detective RPG becomes an adventure game - you are saying that roleplaying a detective is impossible? Or that it cannot be done on a computer?
In the end an RPG could incorporate any game genres appropriate to whaterver you are roleplaying.

Quilty

Magister
Anyone played the old Jack the Ripper game? It had some clue gathering and you had to come up with some kind of a theory at the end...I don't remember it too well.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Probably the best detective game I've played, was Police Quest IV. But that was an adventure, I'm not sure how good would detective procedures work in an RPG.

NotAnAlt

Educated
I'd say mesh it to make a lawyer/detective game, like phoenix wright with stats.

That way you can replace combat with courtroom battles and evidence gathering/problem solving can serve almost like an inventory system: equiping your character to better fight in court.

Also really don't like analysis as a stat. It should be up to a player to piece information together as that would be the main draw of this type of game. Stats should determine what information you have to use, for example whether you can convince a witness to talk to you or even appear in court for you.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There was a web game like that. Was mildly diverting for one case, before you figured out that was all there was to it.

laclongquan

Arcane
J1M said:
Watch some of those good episodes and I think you will agree that your game "levels" should have a structure similar to:
-EXPLORE the crime scene
Perception or observation skills there.
J1M said:
-COLLECT some clues (but it's ok if you miss some)
Go there, collect that, or observe that.
J1M said:
-INTERROGATE several suspects, getting a mix of true and untrue information
Nice stuffs there. intelligence/strength check, speech/intimidate skills check, even a few perks thrown in for good measures.
J1M said:
-COMBINE the information into a theory
Now the game present you with a 6(?) possible chain of logics based on evidences you collect. The player's intellect come into play here. Also, the program must be done well or there's a big whoopsie. and furious criticisms among gamers.
J1M said:
-ARREST the prime suspect
-FIND the additional evidence the npc district attorney needs to make the case
And if your logic is fit, lead to correct theory plus additional evidence, you got a good case. If you lack evidence in the logic you still got a conviction out of it, just not the full range of punishment.
J1M said:
All of the words I put in caps are activities that should be naturally fun. I don't see this idea benefiting from a CSI-type "confession every time". Success should be measured based on the outcome of the trial, where you hear something like "they gave him 8 of the maximum 20 years". Where you managed to solve the case, but know that you could have built a stronger one.

It's actually doable. Even a fun game to play.Still, I think the logic chain and the programme would be a ball-buster. And designs the number of quest (repeatable or not) also a huge undertaking.

Thinking along the line of Fallout I actually can see it.

Martin

Educated
PC Equipment list:

Cheap Monocle ( cheap is cheap)

Regular Monocle (regular is regular)

Finely crafted Monocle ( its fine)

Master craft Monocle ( Master!)

Sherlock Holme's Monocle (+ 5 INT, +5 PER, +5 CHA ( requires a very long and difficult quest)

Crowseye

Novice
IMO, to make this an RPG instead of just an Adventure you can't railroad the player into a single case outcome every time. A stat-based adventure might make for an interesting game on a single playthrough if the cases are interesting enough, but I don't see much incentive to try a different stat distribution just to see some additional clues if the only difference is going to be some "points" based on the sentence. I'd be tempted to just cheat my stats to max so I see everything the first time and let that be it. /shrug

I personally would use a faction and reputation system and allow the detective options like taking bribes, turning a blind eye to "justified" crimes (see the Sunry case in KotOR), or shaking down witnesses as he/she works to accumulate evidence. The choices made by the player in terms of both collecting evidence and helping prosecute cases can then affect how forthcoming witnesses are on future cases, or how helpful other members of law enforcement and the judicial system are. Even the choice to simply supply evidence that supports a prosecutor's case (even if it is the wrong guy) vs finding the truths behind a crime is a decision that real detectives are faced with all the time. You don't necessarily have to tie everything into the nice 'good detectives always find the bad guy' package offered by television.

Kz3r0 said:
Zeus said:
Callaxes said:
An exclusive detective computer game where you hardly ever fight,

But... but... but..!

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6908/detectives.jpg

Detectives need to fight all the time. :cry:
Holmes was an hell of a Boxeur.

I certainly hope that wasn't sarcastic. Whilst most film depictions have played down Holmes' fist-fighting, in the books it is repeatedly emphasised that he is in 'stupendous physical shape', that he is a competitive amateur boxer and occasional prize fighter, and that he has more than a passing knowledge of at least one oriental martial art. (They use a fictional name in the books, but there a popular club in London that it is suspected that the fictional style in the Holmes books was based on. It was a mixture of British boxing, wrestling and oriental ju-jitsu - basically an early attempt to integrate eastern and western grappling styles, together with some basic boxing work for when someone's just too big to want to tackle them).

Having said that, Holmes is written as a very unlikely detective hero, and is comprised of a pile of contradictions: his physical shape, liberal drug and alcohol abuse, and sharp intellect being very obviously juxtaposed. Hence the foil of Watson as a straight-up gentleman-hero.

Modern setting, though? You might have some use for physical skills in evading detection, if you're trying to sneak around setting up cameras, or fleeing from angry ex-crooks (or ex-clients). But you can't plausibly go around banging heads: he doesn't have police powers, and even if he had the authority to make a forceful arrest it would simply be sloppy workmanship. Far better to let the appropriate police department handle it without jeapordising your fee - he IS a detective, not a hitman, right?

Might want to consider, also, that in a modern setting detective work wouldn't necessarily be crime-related. It might involve corporate espionage, seeing if a client's spouse is having an affair, or getting incriminating footage that a client can blackmail someone with. I.e. you could make things interesting by playing up the sleazy side of the detective business - would also open up more opportunity to plausibly mix in physical escapes and stealth-work (again, he's not a hitman - get caught by security and you aren't 'taking out' any guards, you're going to court for tresspassing and damaging private property).

Longshanks

Augur
Modern setting, though? You might have some use for physical skills in evading detection, if you're trying to sneak around setting up cameras, or fleeing from angry ex-crooks (or ex-clients). But you can't plausibly go around banging heads: he doesn't have police powers, and even if he had the authority to make a forceful arrest it would simply be sloppy workmanship. Far better to let the appropriate police department handle it without jeapordising your fee - he IS a detective, not a hitman, right?
Who the fuck wants to play as a PI? Especially modern day.

Anyway, what's all this talk about realism? Games are fiction. Not too many fictional detectives who completely abstain from the physical stuff. We could play a realistic Sunday driver in GTA, but that would be boring. The game doesn't need combat, but realism's not a reason to exclude it. It's not a complete stretch to put a detective, private (bleh) or otherwise into situations where physical force may be necessary. Even to the point of a Dexter-like vigilante who doesn't play by the rules and needs to avoid being caught as well as detecting.

Radisshu

Prophet
I would probably break skills down into these main categories:

Logic/deduction (intelligence)
Environmental analysis (perception, intelligence)
Conversation skills (sense motive checks, as well as diplomacy, intimidate, etc) (charisma, intelligence)
Combat skills (not that important.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom