Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I request help with finding a good RPG (I haven't played)

orao

Novice
I have, predictably enough, played Planescape Fall Gate Masquerade Steamworks and so on, as well as The Witcher and I didn't like any of the NWN series. I have probaly forgotten to mention some due to the large number I have played, but someone recommend please an obscure enough RPG ensuring I wouldn't have played it that is also brilliant. Barring obscurity, brilliance is a fine qualifier itself.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'd say give NWN2: MotB a try, but...

Hey, how about Divine Divinity? Shitty name, but don't let that put you off.

Suchy

Arcane
Betrayal at Krondor (pure fucking awesomness, writing quality beats PST)
Return to Krondor (Not so awesome, but still p. good)
Star Trail
Shadows over Riva

You didn't mention the Gothics in your list of already played RPGs, so i'll start from there...

Try Gothic and Gothic II. Those can be interpreted as brilliant, depending on what you are looking for. The third one is made of fail, though.

Then try The Legacy: Realms of Terror - A very hardcore, unforgiving horror RPG with more than a hint of what would later become the Survival Horror genre. Everything wants to kill you, and everything CAN kill you. And every single piece of equipment is horribly limited: Ammo, food, mana thingies, weapons, spells, etc. And the game has some adventure-like puzzles, with obscure leads and hints spread all around the game. And it is huge. And it is angry, very angry. And all the skills are useful in some way or another. And it isn't friendly: Be prepared to lose, not just like in dying but also like in playing yourself into a corner from wich you can only re-start, a LOT. It lacks even the slightest hint of hand-holding.

It is abandonware, as far as i know. And it is a GREAT, more than awesome, brilliant does not even begins to describe it, unique RPG. And a very, very, very angry one.

What more? Let me see... Well, you didn't mention you were looking only for PC games so i'll go into the evil land of console RPGs...

If you own a Playstation 2 or your PC happens to be strong enough as to run the PCSX2 emulator, get yourself Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne. It is a huge game with a set of quite complex mechanics running under the hood, a great storyline, a limited form of C&C, some great (and unfair) battles that are dependant on both the tactical and strategic levels, many secrets to uncover if you like fiddling around at your own pace, and not few game over screens if you do not know what you are doing (and even a good deal if you have played every other fucking MegaTen game to the point you can finish it without even coming close to dying once).

It is a very grindtastic game, though - The very mechanics are built around leveling up your demons to get more skills inherited when you fuse the fuckers, evolve them into unique demons, recruiting new ones (and repeting the whole process) to try new fusions or get the one demon/skill/resistance you need to have a chance against some unfair boss or another, and grind your character some extra levels here and there to get some specific skill you missed before or to try a diferent skillset against some fucker or to try and get a skill that covers something you dropped before. You even get a demon with a skill to raise (by a ridiculous amount) the number of both random encounters and random extra encounter inside the first encounter WAY before you can even buy an item to lower it, and that should be enough of a warning...

As a matter of fact the entire Shin Megami Tensei metaverse is full of great, unique, brilliant RPGs if you like that kind of thing (namely, JRPGs that are not made for retards). This one is just a good entry point into it.

Suchy

Arcane
My memories of M&M are: tedious crappy combat&combat&combat&combat(&combat) & fed-ex quests.

Erebus

Arcane
Suchy said:
My memories of M&M are: tedious crappy combat&combat&combat&combat(&combat) & fed-ex quests.

Your memories are correct. I'm not saying the M&M games are never fun, but the über-repetitive fights are ridiculously numerous, the stories are weak, the quests unoriginal and you seldom find any C&C.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Suchy said:
Oh, come on. It's much more than that.

Such as how using certain spells is vital to exploring around the world. You want to get inside a closed forest clearing, and don't have a ranger to guide you through it. You use the Teleportation spell to teleport inside it.

Or similiarly, you're in a cavern filled with lava, and there are flying demons that can kill you in one blow. You teleport onto the hard rocks that you see, whilst also making a point to avoid the rocks from which the demons have a clear shot at you. That stuff is fun and intense.

Or maybe inside a dungeon, there are holes that release poisonous gas when you walk over them. You turn on the Levitation spell, so that your feet are above the ground when you walk.

And there are many wells scattered around the world that temporarily boost your stats. There is a spell that allows you to set a portal at any point, so you place a portal at that point, and then directly go back and forth through it to get the boosts. "Oh no, there's a dangerous enemy standing a few clicks away from me. *teleports back and forth from a well* Heh, you ain't so tough now!"

Besides, being able to complete a M&M game, or atleast being able to do so properly requires you to painstakingly record every obscure bit of information you find, because ultimately, they all can add up and point to something useful that will make a particular difficult task much easier.

For me, the Might And Magic games represent everything I want from a RPG. They are the ideal RPGs, and have more consistent quality than any RPG series I know.

Suchy

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Suchy said:

Such as how using certain spells is vital to exploring around the world. You want to get inside a closed forest clearing, and don't have a ranger to guide you through it. You use the Teleportation spell to teleport inside it.

Or similiarly, you're in a cavern filled with lava, and there are flying demons that can kill you in one blow. You teleport onto the hard rocks that you see, whilst also making a point to avoid the rocks from which the demons have a clear shot at you. That stuff is fun and intense.

Or maybe inside a dungeon, there are holes that release poisonous gas when you walk over them. You turn on the Levitation spell, so that your feet are above the ground when you walk.

And there are many wells scattered around the world that temporarily boost your stats. There is a spell that allows you to set a portal at any point, so you place a portal at that point, and then directly go back and forth through it to get the boosts. "Oh no, there's a dangerous enemy standing a few clicks away from me. *teleports back and forth from a well* Heh, you ain't so tough now!"

Besides, being able to complete a M&M game, or atleast being able to do so properly requires you to painstakingly record every obscure bit of information you find, because ultimately, they all can add up and point to something useful that will make a particular difficult task much easier.

For me, the Might And Magic games represent everything I want from a RPG. They are the ideal RPGs, and have more consistent quality than any RPG series I know.
I'm looking at the substance first, mechanics are secondary. I need good story, quests, memorable NPCs with well written dialogues. M&M totally lacked in this regard. I found combat extremely tedious, ended up with my party flying around with levitation spell most of the time just to avoid the combat.
I remember slashing through hordes of goblins by simply keep pressing the Attack button, without even goig in turnbased. Seriously it was like 4 guys against 200 respawning goblins and zero tactics required.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
If you are willing to go old skool there are plenty of good DOS games out there. The UI and controls can be a little tedious, but they are usually worth it.

Albion was already mentioned, and that is a great DOS game.

Wasteland , Darklands, and The Dark Sun series are all good as well.

If you demand the hawtgfx and new fangled control schemes, well there are plenty of good ones being recommended here on the board. Wiz 8 is outstanding, but there can be quite a bit of random combat outside of the dungeons.

Chefe

Erudite
Heretic Kingdoms is fun. It leans more on the aRPG side of the family though.

Fenril

Scholar
Gothic 3 is more " brilliant" than Oblivion at least, even with all the rough edges and bugs. It really shows alot of GOOD DESIGN DECISIONS, even if I agree it does not always implement them that welll.

Fact is Gothic 3, once you fully adjust to the system, has a very powerful addicting quality if you enjoy open ended RPG games and high difficulty.

I guess most bad opinions from Gothic 3 have to do with a slew of bugs and poor performance, some of the bugs possibly game breaking I heard, but although I experienced some crashes and bizarreness in the patched version I played that didnt diminish my interest in the game, I didnt finish it but I certainly spent more than 80 hours playing it.

About classic RPG's suggestions I recommend Ultima Underworld 2, or 1,even though almost every RPG gamer is crazy gay about UU 1 I think UU2 is quite the step up, and in general stood the test of time well.

You can get it for free easily like many of the DOS classics mentioned, and I think it runs fine with DOSBOX.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Suchy said:
Wyrmlord said:
Suchy said:

I'm looking at the substance first, mechanics are secondary. I need good story, quests, memorable NPCs with well written dialogues. M&M totally lacked in this regard. I found combat extremely tedious, ended up with my party flying around with levitation spell most of the time just to avoid the combat.
I remember slashing through hordes of goblins by simply keep pressing the Attack button, without even goig in turnbased. Seriously it was like 4 guys against 200 respawning goblins and zero tactics required.
Oh.

Oh.

You are talking about the newer M&M games. Sorry, I only played the early 90s DOS stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom