Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want my Eberron!

AzraelCC

Scholar
With the 4th Edition to be released, I wonder what will become the fate of the 3.5-spawned setting of Eberron. It's what my gaming group currently uses, and we have a lot of fun with this particular campaign world. Given that a lot of the mechanics are overhauled--fighters don't just attack, they have powers now--I find it really difficult to see how the conversion might work; at least, in the same vein as that of AD&D to 3rd Edition. This goes for other settings (Planescape, Dark Sun, etc) that were "supposed" to be officially converted by WotC

Also, I know that licensing is a bitch, but I'd really like to see a cRPG (even with a NWN2 engine) set in Eberron. I mean, c'mon, it has a compelling world where magic is an alternate history replacement for technology, it has a nation that actually has undead walking your average street AND they're not necessarily evil, it has battle-loving, dead worshiping elves, halfling barbarians riding dinosaurs and Mafia gnomes! What' not to like?

The only games that used Eberron as a world were the D&D MMORPG (Which doesn't capture the feel of the world) and Dragonshards, an epic fail RTS.

Shoelip

Arbiter
If Wizards thinks they can make enough money on it they'll convert it. Planescape has already been converted to 3.5.

http://www.planewalker.com

I'm not sure how it would work out in 4E though since they've killed the cosmology and removed or altered beyond recognition allot of the iconic planescape creatures.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It will be converted. WotC already said that they do Forgotten Realms this year, and Eberron in 2009.

Also, if not more D&D games were made in the FR setting, I'd be very happy. Along with Greyhawk, it's the most generic and boring setting they have. I just hope they're bright enough to know that Eberron is better and roll with it as their flagship setting for games.

Shoelip said:
I'm not sure how it would work out in 4E though since they've killed the cosmology and removed or altered beyond recognition allot of the iconic planescape creatures.
Cosmology is tied to setting. Change the setting, and you can have a different cosmology. D&D 4e has an implied setting that is not Planescape or FR.

Still, I wouldn't expect them to go back to the alignment-based cosmology of Planescape, since the new one is much more modular. But they can do a setting with old Planescape flavor.

hoochimama

Liturgist
With the planes and Sigil being mentioned in the 4e player handbook, I think it's a given that planescape is being "converted", whatever that means.

opium fiend

Augur
Did it occur to you that you don't have to covert to 4e now or ever and continue playing what you like?

Baldr

Novice
I'd like to see Dark Sun and Spelljammer make a comeback. I don't know that much about Eberron but I believe Dark Sun was the only major campaign setting that had a psionics focus. As for Spelljammer, I loved the setting.

Shoelip

Arbiter
I read somewhere that Eberon 4E is slated to be released in 2009. Keep in mind that I'm not really interested in 4E so I didn't bother confirming it.

WalterKinde

Scholar
I have liked some of the Eberron novelizations and in theory it would make a great PC RPG but we have seen when you think outside the generic rpg box, Those PC rpgs don't sell as well as say an Oblivion etc, examples Planescape, Morrowind, Arcanum.
So if it did come to pc some or most likely all of the uniqueness of the setting would be toned down or even removed in favor of making it more accessible to your avg gamer aka Lord of the Rings Generic Rpg elements, not to mention depending on the publisher, they would probably want a console version for the next gen consoles and we know how that goes.

AzraelCC

Scholar
Did it occur to you that you don't have to covert to 4e now or ever and continue playing what you like?

I can, but I'm worried about support and WotCs predisposition towards making world-spanning changes in campaigns every time they make a new edition. A lot of the mechanics are also very 3.5 centric, such as the mechanics of action points in Eberron and its relationship with feats.

I've read the 4th edition rulebooks, and I must say, the system is pretty streamlined. It doesn't leave much for customization of game mechanics, though. If you wanted to add a feat you created in 3.5, it was pretty easy to balance... In the 4th edition, powers seem so ingrained in the system that modifying them easily disrupts balance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom