Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want to crack King of the dragon pass

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not for piracy, its just that i am tired of installing the game and applying the patch when the game runs fine from the cd. I'd like to apply the patch to the game and return the game to cd form so that the game runs (patched) from the cd again. Trouble is i'm getting crashes after the game passes the copy protection, when it enters the main game in iso form. I guess the game thinks that it is running from hd and not cd and then bugs out. I believe the cracking procedure i followed had that effect.

I don't have the game here now, but i am just going to post the link to the procedure i followed.

If some bored hacker wants to help me better this, please do.

I used olly debugger instead of the tools the guy uses but the process was the same.
http://www.woodmann.com/krobar/other/cd103.txt

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Some more context. The KoDP patch doesn't alter the executable, so you would think that to what i want i would just have to replace the altered binary files in the cd and then making a iso again. No. The copy protection recognizes that the cd is altered. However it doesn't appear to be any of the more sophisticated forms, as the link says... just GetDriveTypeA whatever fucking windows function that is.
I tried using the same label, but not joy either.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Moverover, i can't install the game completly into hd, otherwise, i would just install it crack, and zip the directory or something. Maybe if i search the executable for the strings of the files that are in the cd and alter the paths from
"d:\completefilepath"
to
".\file [spaces]* "

Korgan

Arbiter
Hah. You want to know how I got it back when I had dial-up? Mail-order from some guy in Siberia. He had a huge collection of old/rare stuff and put up ads on his website. That's how I acquired Torment and TIE Fighter CE, too. Pure English versions, not the typical Russian pirate crap. God bless that gentleman.

mondblut

Arcane
There is a non-crack nocd solution, a bit messy though. My personal invention.

The game looks for its files KODP4922.mxx and KODP4923.mxx in a root dir of a drive with a volume "KoDP" (normally, its cd). In truth, it doesn't care what kind of a drive it is, as long as it has a proper volume name. So all you have to do is copy these two files in a root of your hard drive c, d or whatever, and alter its volume to "KoDP".

Pretty simple yet? Now for the messy part. Volume name is case sensitive, and stupid windows sets it to "KODP" instead. Or maybe "Kodp", still not what we want. You might need a decent hex editor to edit hdd's master boot record (BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT!). My weapon of choice is Hex Workshop (bpsoft.com). First set the drive volume in windows, then run Hex Workshop, disk/open drive in main menu and select the drive you chosen to host the game and named "KODP". You'll see its boot sector, with drive volume label ("KODP") at offset 71 (47h). It might have a different offset on file systems other than FAT32. Now, change the capital O in KODP to small one, and save. DO NOT TOUCH ANY OTHER BYTE IN THERE, EVER EVER EVER! Or you might say bye to your hdd.

Assuming you did everything correctly and didn't ruin your drive, put both mxx files to the root of "KoDP" drive, and enjoy the game without annoying cd accesses.

NB: the game looks for the first "KoDP" volume driveletter-wise. So if you named your drive C as "KoDP", the game will only look there for its files even if you have the cd inserted (say, as drive D). This means if your cd is D and you put the files on hdd E, it will still use the cd, as long as it is in the drive.

One of my hd drives had been named "KoDP" for almost a decade ;)

NB2: You'll still need a cd in your drive to launch the game. The procedure outlined above is a full install trick, not a cd check removal.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Thats informative, but not very portable...
Guess the key of what i was doing wrong with the iso above is the volume name, otherwise it should work even with the original executable.

But i thought i did that.

KoDP is strange in that there are actually 3 filesystems in the cd - a normal windows one, another probably dos, and a mac one with the mac executable. Since i don't care about any of that i removed those (only created the new iso from the normal windows one).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I like to put games in my pen. Actually have fallout there now.
Fun.

Multi-headed Cow

I thought so. I know I played a pirated copy, maybe I just left the disc image mounted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom