Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Gate 2

Letum Fol

Novice
I was planning to play Baldur's Gate 2 again but I've gotten really bored of 2nd edition rules. So when I heard about Icewind Gate 2, I thought it was perfect. Apparently it converts BG2 into 3rd edition rules. It sounds great but i don't want to risk bugs and/or general crappiness. Has anyone here tried it and if so how is it?

http://weidu.org/iwg2/

Oh and I'm pretty much a DnD noob.

Redeye

Arcane
The epic magical combat is eliminated.

No sequencing or contingency spells, etc.
No Timestop!

Probably other problems, too.

JrK

Prophet
The conversion is not good. You'll likely give up in frustration pretty soon. Imagine this: Clay Golems wielding +4d6 sneak attacks on top of their 4d6 bludgeoning attacks because for some reason they have rogue levels. To top it all off, enemies can sneak attack you from any angle regardless whether or not you are targeting them, due to the AI issues would otherwise exist with sneak attack (they dont seek your back, for instance).

You start at a puny level of four, while very single enemy you meet has at least 8 levels, including 1 or 2 rogue levels, including that lovely sneak attack stuff on every enemy you meet, on every attack that hits you. And seeing how this is 3d ed, enemies WILL hit you.

Otherwise its surprisingly playable. Hadn't had any bugs or glitches.

It's shit. Basically it was made by powergamers, for powergamers, and it's reflected by the aforementioned "everybody's a rogue" syndrome among other things. Avoid it at all costs.

jaylittle

Scholar
Thats too bad. That project looks extremely cool. Playing BG2 with 3rd edition rules could be pretty cool. Too bad these jackasses fucked it up.

By the way, I just got my used copies of Icewind Dale 1+2 Collector's pack and Planescape Torment in the mail from Amazon. Since I already own BG1 + 2 (multiple times), I now officially own all of the Infinity Engine games now.

Raapys

Arcane
Eww, half the fun with BG2 is the epic spellcasting. Why'd anyone want to play without it?

Letum Fol

Novice
Raapys said:
Eww, half the fun with BG2 is the epic spellcasting. Why'd anyone want to play without it?

Agreed. How exactly does it destroy the epic spellcasting.

No Timestop!

Blasphemy. BG2 without timestop is like peanut butter witout chocolate

Clay Golems wielding +4d6 sneak attacks on top of their 4d6 bludgeoning attacks because for some reason they have rogue levels.

Ok, I cannot understand this. Like I said, I am no DnD expert but i have played IWD2 and this rogue thing makes no sense. Can someone explain?

Letum Fol said:
Ok, I cannot understand this. Like I said, I am no DnD expert but i have played IWD2 and this rogue thing makes no sense. Can someone explain?

Well, I'm not one either, my experiences essentially limited to CRPGs, but I may be able to shed some light on the issue. Of course it could just be the blind leading the blind...but I suppose there's no harm in trying...

Okay, from my best understanding, everything has an effective level in 3rd edition. This is the sum total of all of the levels in every class it has. For instance a player character who is a level 5 fighter and level 5 mage would be effectively level10. This carries into monsters too. But usually a monster is a level X whatever race of monster it is, and the levels corresponding to "hit-dice" or how many HP rolls the monsters got. However, sometimes monsters also have character class levels as well. For instance, a lich might be a level 20 undead thing and a level 20 mage, meaning it has all the powers of a high level undead and that equivalent to the powers a level 20 player character mage could potentially draw upon.

So basically, that leads into the rogue levels on monsters thing. The designers of the mod decided to throw character class levels onto some of the monsters. Like for instance, instead of just giving the liches all of their abilities by hand like Bioware did, they made them level x undead and level y mages. In some ways, this worked out well. In others...it didn't. This is where the golems with sneak attacks come in. For some reason, the designers gave golems a couple rogue levels, making them level x constructs and level y rogues. This gave them the out of place ability to sneak attack players and dish out unbalanced amounts of damage because a rogue could do it, and they had rogue levels.

That's at least how I understand it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom