Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm disappointed in strategy game developers.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Why? As bad as it may be to say, the current U.S. war on terror could have been the perfect setting for a good, tactical strategy game. Or at least the encouragement for one in a different setting. Honestly, I can't be the only one to think this. I mean sure, we've gotten RTS's focusing on it, but which of these games hasn't sucked?

I mean, there was Generals from EA which was terrible, a couple of crappy shooters, and COD4 (Pretty Decent). What the hell? The urban combat that could be had in those types of environments would be amazing. Think about it,

You're leading a squad of marines through the market place where there are hundreds of townspeople doing their shopping. Then all of a sudden rifle fire cracks through the crowd almost killing two of your squadmates. You order them to quickly take cover, but then what? ALL of the townspeople are now rushing madly about, and you can't pin point the gun fire. At the same time, you know you can't stay in that position for long lest the enemy attempt to use the crowd to get behind your position. Do you randomly return fire? Do you stay put? Do you order a squad mate to move to get a better position?

To add more depth, there could be public approval rating. Depending on how successful you are during your missions, it could drop or rise depending on how many soldiers you lost, how much collateral damage there was, etc. etc. As it rises and falls, it affects the funding you get from the government, which would be used in game to better equip your soldiers/provide reinforcements as well as affecting recruitment rate.

Also, they could add some free form choices to the game which later effect future battles, possibly even diplomacy and intel gathering. Assaulting an enemy position on the border of a nation? What if you misfire on targets across the border that belong to another country? How are you going to explain that one to the nations leader? Or, why not convince a neighboring country that you'll split the land with them 50/50 after you've taken control of it just to get some human shields?

Also, unit stats could play an important role in the game. Stamina, Accuracy, Perception, Dexterity, Medical skills, and of course explosives. Realism would be an important part of the game, so obviously patching up someone who just got shot in the head isn't an option. Soldiers wounded in battle would need to be patched up then put on medical leave until they are fully healed. Soldiers would be vital, you don't want to lose them altogether.

I also want the idea of troop transport to be fully realized. Soldiers don't just march around town all day and clean out area after area. Making troops travel long distances would be something the player is punished for, troops would get tired and their overall effectiveness would be lowered. So obviously players are going to want to keep their transport choppers / trucks alive.

Obviously the game would be set for small skirmishes, nothing more then say 20 man battles with the main focus being on urban combat. The AI would also have to actually be clever, or the main premise of the game (tactical combat) wouldn't work to well. I also think smaller battles are better, because you actually feel the immediate effects of unit loss. Your grenadier got shot and killed? Well, guess you can't assault that MG nest as easily as you had hoped.

Thinking about it, it doesn't even need to be in the Middle East. I just figured it would have encouraged at least one developer by now to make a game that takes into consideration all aspects of war. I don't want to have a shitty over world management system with good battles (Total War series) and I don't want to have a good over world with shitty ass combat (Civ series). Why the hell can't I have both? It's 2008 for crying out loud.

Azarkon

Arcane
You sound like you want a tactical squad combat game which, I agree, would be awesome.

Though personally, I've had enough of shooter/action/strategy games set in the modern era. It's the second most popular setting after fantasy, and unlike fantasy, there is no difference in the setting between the games because they're all supposed to be the same.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Heh, should have posted this in the strategy board first, my mistake.

Anyways, the reason why I dislike Generals is because it's a boring RTS with too many super weapons and crap like that. It had a chance to be good, however all the tactical elements the game held in the first place went out the window after generals was released. Too many imbalances, and frankly I'm almost sick of "WHO CAN BASE BUILD FASTEST GO GO GO".

Full Spectrum was ok, but I disliked the idea of my mini squad taking down countless insurgents.

I want something more thought provoking in my strategy game than just the combat. Example, Jagged Alliance 2. While the main game was pretty silly (My 6 merc squad is going to bring down your kingdom) the idea was a nice touch. The over world was manageable, and you had to make meaningful choices on what to spend your time on. Train militia, or move on and sieze other areas before your contracts run out? The thing that was great about JA2 was the combat was tactical and it had combat decisions relate to the bigger game world and vice versa.

I believe that developers should expand on this idea. As I said before, we should be able to have great combat and a great over world experience and they should relate to each other to some degree. Most RTS's with both fall flat in one area (TW series diplomacy is the biggest joke ever, same with RoN and Imperial Glory)

I just figured that somebody by now would have been inspired to design something like this.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
crufty said:
I agree. GIVE ME MY SYNDICATE 3 DAMN IT.

Syndicate - best strategy/top-down action game ever.
Syndicate Wars - a terrible abomination compared to Syndicate - and still one of the best games ever. Syndicate was simply that good that if you make a game that's only, say, 60% as good, that game is still better than nearly every other game.

Seriously, you can't screw up if you make a Syndicate sequel, prequel or remake as long as you keep the fun and furious gameplay and the general atmosphere.

Oh, but there days they'd prolly try to make the game in First Person, so it's more immersive...

Seboss

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Seriously, you can't screw up if you make a Syndicate sequel, prequel or remake as long as you keep the fun and furious gameplay and the general atmosphere.
... and hordes of drones following you around thanks to the persuadotron (or an Oblivion coupon maybe), shooting down people for no apparent reason.
Ok, I have a urge to play it again. Never had the occasion to play American Revolt now that I think of it (played the Amiga version of Syndicate which didn't have addons). I read it's tough as nails, how much truth in that?

Red Russian

Scholar
Why don't you just go buy SWAT 4. Oh right. They probably won't bother making SWAT 5 'cause you feckers wanted AKSHUN!! Couldn't figure out how to get the flashbang through the door without flashing your own butt in the process and running in blindly. Entering a room all you lot see is fucking kill boards, so you start strafing and bunny-hopping your lame ass all over the fucking place, "dodging" bullets and swearing 'cause you can't throw plastic explosives like pipe bombs.

YOU FUCKERS KILLED RAINBOW SIX!!!

Red Russian

Scholar
SWAT 4 was a lot more interesting and had this neat satisfactory feeling of arresting a bad guy you'd normally shoot. Multi-player is da bomb as well.

As for being easy. The first few levels were easy, but there were a few snags in the process. That dance club level fucked me up time and again ( I had to get 75 points or more) and I finally met my match in that diamond building. Just couldn't finish it.

Regardless, it was a lovely break from strafing/bunny-hopping one's way through levels. Taking bullets and med packs like they were sweets.

bgillisp

Scholar
Funny you bring up making a game like this as I was at the local hobby store and guess what I found? War on Terror, the board game. Though it looked like it played out like risk, where defeated opponents became terrorists who could still harass you, so not quite what you are looking for. Though since someone has made a board game on the idea, maybe a cmputer game is not far behind?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
A game about killing christian fundamentalists would sell better to the crackers who play video games. The mandatory timed defensive mission could be the defense of an abortion clinic, and the final boss could be Bush.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Seboss said:
Jasede said:
... and hordes of drones following you around thanks to the persuadotron (or an Oblivion coupon maybe), shooting down people for no apparent reason.
Ok, I have a urge to play it again. Never had the occasion to play American Revolt now that I think of it (played the Amiga version of Syndicate which didn't have addons). I read it's tough as nails, how much truth in that?

I couldn't get past the first mission. Seriously. It's possible, but... ugh.

I guess once you manage the first mission it gets easier...

...maybe.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Jasede said:
Seboss said:
...Never had the occasion to play American Revolt now that I think of it (played the Amiga version of Syndicate which didn't have addons). I read it's tough as nails, how much truth in that?

I couldn't get past the first mission. Seriously. It's possible, but... ugh.

I guess once you manage the first mission it gets easier...

...maybe.

No it doesn't, it only gets harder from there on. Well, some missions aren't that bad since you can just air strike your way through them, but there are plenty of missions where this won't work. I managed to complete about half the missions back in the day, but I was never near completing the game :(

Seboss

Liturgist
Ah ok, I will pass then. Playing an oldie can be frustrating enough without it being insanely difficult. Maybe I'll just give the vanilla game a shot to burn down a few innocent bystanders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom