Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incubation

Kraken

Scholar
Anyone remember this game? It was called Incubation: Battle Isle Phase Four/Time is running out. I remember it as an excellent squad- and turn-based strategy game, and recently wanted to try it again. However, I did get a copy a few years ago, but couldn't make it run on Win2k no matter what I did. My feeling is that WinXP, which I'm running now, is better on the Win95/98 compability, so I wanted to give it a try again. I guess I'm wondering about:

- Is the game really as good as I remember it to be?
- Has anyone tried to make it run in XP?

According to Focus Media, it's compatible with XP, but Underdogs reports 95/98/ME. Focus Media is also the only place I've seen it for sale.

Any thoughts?

Section8

Cipher
Yep, played it, loved it, and from memory it "runs" under XP, but I couldn't get a playable framerate for whatever foolish reason. For 3D acceleration it's 3DFX only, so you'll either have to try software mode, or try a Glide emulator.

As far as whether it stands the test of time, I remember playing it within the last couple of years on a '98 machine, and I think it's a great turn-based tactical game. The short rounds and low AP counts really give it an entirely different dynamic to a lot of games, and the monsters and scenarios are really designed with tactics in mind. Definitely worth a go, and if anyone has had more success running it under XP than I have, then let us know. I'd love to be able to play it again.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Don't know whether it runs on XP or not (I only played it on 98 in software mode), but I agree - the game does kick ass. Some of the levels are less about tactics and more about solving puzzles, though (that is, there's really only one way to beat them). However, it has email-based multiplayer! I never played multiplayer, but you can't get any cooler than that.

Mech

Cipher
That game has the kind of battle system that I think would work well in Fallout 3 if they aren't going to go with a isometric or similar view as the primary one.

Vidder

Liturgist
i always longed for an rpg which got a combat system like incubation had.
not only the viewpoint or the "turnbased"ness but also the intensity and maybe the sci-fi setting.

never found anything though.

drexciya

Augur
It was a good game which was, unfortunately, "tied" to 3D FX cards. So I have my doubts about playing it on a modern PC.

I really liked the fact that you had limited troops and needed to be efficient. Being limited in ammo, action points and number of soldiers makes for more tense moments.

This reminds of the thrill of Panzer General; you needed to meet the objectives in time to get a major victory.

RuySan

Augur
i liked this game. The problem is that latter on, it went more like a puzzle game than a squad based strategy game because it forced you to play every turn flawlessly otherway you wouldn't finish the level.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I have no problems running the game on XP. The problem I had was running the game with my Geoforce 4. Once I got a Radeon, things went quite well though.

Mandake

Novice
Incubation was a great game. I had a lot of fun playing it. It even had an Add-On which added new weapons but missions there where more or less puzzle solving. Anyone remembering the mission where you had to cross a room with crashing ground fields?

AZ

Liturgist
I liked it, works whit xp, just use w95 compatibility and glide emulator.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
I remember seeing a copy of this game in a local Narvesen a few years back. Considered buying it, but I eventually ended up getting some cheap books instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom