Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Innovative Games that had disastrous long-term impact on the industry

Specs Ops: The Line.

Crap cover shooter that mainstreamed the concept of having the player reflect on the violence they commit whilst playing an action game. You don't get maudlin, manipulative AAA rubbish like The Last Of Us series without Spec Ops. Yager also innovated in the realm of bad dev excuses with we deliberately made Spec Ops a dull cover shooter to get the player to stop playing. Unfortunately for Yager Hotline Miami comes out several months later and interrogates player complicity in violence directly via gameplay mechanics.

Falksi

Arcane
I've still to play a 3D platformer which is as fun as the 2D ones

Eh, I am just as fond of certain 3D platforming classics as I am 2D.
Perhaps turn your attention away from the Nintendo collectathon, which is indeed not particularly good.

If I had to pick three to represent the best of 3D platforming, it would be:

1. Tomb Raider 1 OG trilogy - sub-par combat drags it it down slightly but it really demonstrated the potential of 3D in its level design.
2. Spyro The Dragon - original game only, entire rest of the series is decline. It is :obviously: and that's a fact.
3. Dying Light - The platforming is so much fun.

All the Marios, Sonics, Donkey Kongs, Earthworm Jims etc etc turned to shit with 3D. It is largely the new IPs that are classic in this genre.

I'd love to mention many other 3D platformers or 3D games with notable platforming emphasis, but I'll stop there.
That's a good shout Ash. I've not played Spyro in years, but I do remember that being one of the few from that era which I didn't hate.

Modron

Arcane
Specs Ops: The Line.

Crap cover shooter that mainstreamed the concept of having the player reflect on the violence they commit whilst playing an action game. You don't get maudlin, manipulative AAA rubbish like The Last Of Us series without Spec Ops. Yager also innovated in the realm of bad dev excuses with we deliberately made Spec Ops a dull cover shooter to get the player to stop playing. Unfortunately for Yager Hotline Miami comes out several months later and interrogates player complicity in violence directly via gameplay mechanics.
Imagine playing Spec Ops the Line instead of Binary Domain in 2012.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom