Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Insurgency and other shit

Pastel

Scholar
Anyone here tried Insurgency? Heard it's a pretty good modern infantry simulation, like Red Orchestra only in Iraq. You need the Source SDK to be able to play it.

Also Half Life 2 Episode 1 is only 5$ this weekend if you need access to the Source SDK:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/1857/

The Dude

Liturgist
Insurgency is probably the game with the worst spawncamping I ever played, at least on some maps. If the teams are a bit unbalanced the chance is pretty fucking big that the game will disintegrate into a fucking killfest for the 2-3 people who keeps camping the spawn. Extremely annoying. Otherwise it's a decent game, although I'd be hard pressed to call it as engaging as Red Orchestra.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
The Dude said:
Insurgency is probably the game with the worst spawncamping I ever played, at least on some maps. If the teams are a bit unbalanced the chance is pretty fucking big that the game will disintegrate into a fucking killfest for the 2-3 people who keeps camping the spawn
Sounds pretty realistic actually. :lol:

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Played pretty much all the HL2 mods at some point. For a mod, the gameplay is alright, and the production standards are really high. Good models and animations and all that. It was probably the most anticipated HL2 mod (if you don't count the launch of Dystopia back in 2k5), so it naturally fell short of expectations. Certainly worth a try. A few of the devs had been in Iraq so they've got some first-hand experience with combat.

Pastel

Scholar
Kingston said:
A few of the devs had been in Iraq so they've got some first-hand experience with combat.
That's pretty fucking cool.
Any eastern front WWII vets worked on RO, too?

sqeecoo

Arcane
The Dude said:
Insurgency is probably the game with the worst spawncamping I ever played, at least on some maps. If the teams are a bit unbalanced the chance is pretty fucking big that the game will disintegrate into a fucking killfest for the 2-3 people who keeps camping the spawn. Extremely annoying. Otherwise it's a decent game, although I'd be hard pressed to call it as engaging as Red Orchestra.

Agreed. The game is great on paper, it just somehow doesn't add up to great gameplay. Decent, but RO is better, even with a shitty pub team that's loosing.

Pastel

Scholar
K so I joined a server and I had no fucking clue what was going on. How the fuck do I find the capzones?

Destroid

Arcane
Press 'm' for your map.

Insurgency is an awful lot of fun after you pick up a few skills, spawn camping is only a problem if you play with assholes, doesnt happen very often on the servers I play on. It's my game of choice at the moment. Unfortunately you can't play red orchestra in australia as there are not enough players to support a decent server so you have to play with high ping :(

Destroid

Arcane
Zombie panic is also awesome, much easier to get into than insurgency. DIPRIP is awful, don't know about the others.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
There were some really great and promising mods in the works back in the day. I think Hostile Planet was my favourite one, it was gonna be an mmofps and kick ass in general. The site went down in 2005, but the main coder had a blog running at some point with new stuff on it, but unfortunately that's closed now too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFR5DuWB2Vc
SS2 much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzygBMHoHMM (that's the creator's youtube channel)

http://revver.com/video/639894/hostile- ... liation-2/ <-- added in 2008, so I guess it might still be on the way.

Pastel

Scholar
Destroid said:
Press 'm' for your map.

Insurgency is an awful lot of fun after you pick up a few skills, spawn camping is only a problem if you play with assholes, doesnt happen very often on the servers I play on. It's my game of choice at the moment. Unfortunately you can't play red orchestra in australia as there are not enough players to support a decent server so you have to play with high ping :(
Ah. I had gotten the impression from some review that there is no map, so I didn't even bother to look for that.
Otherwise, it's really great so far, at least on Sinjar. The urban maps I found confusing, since I had absolutely no idea which direction to expect the enemy from.

Destroid

Arcane
I find the push style (teams attempting to cap flags in linear order) or the attack/defend (one team caps flags in linear order with limited lives, other team defends) maps to be a lot more fun than the firefight (cap the flags in no order) maps. It really concentrates the conflict and there is almost always the option for flanking. It's insane how many players there are in these mods now, gone from about 10-20 players in the evening to 100+ all the time. Shame I have to re-download insurgency before I can play it again :/

DefJam101

Arcane
I was into Insurgency/Zombie Panic before it became cool. :?

Zombie Panic is extremely fun with a group of friends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom