Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interactive Fiction games with C&C

Shoelip

Arbiter
I'm curious if anyone knows some (preferably) good interactive fiction games with choices and consequences that go beyond 'you die' or 'you're stuck'. Anyone know any?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I don't think there are any. Consequences in interactive fiction are pretty much only "How many beers with Ford did you have? Fifteen hundred? Oh shit, well you're screwed. Game over." I don't think I've played a text adventure that didn't require that I follow a strictly straight line.

Obviously I'm also interested if they exist.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I remember LASH giving some iberty, but I wouldn't call it c&c; it's just that it's hard to get to know the whole of the game in one playthrough due to the fact that big parts of it are optional.

Hory

Erudite
It's unfortunate that interactive fiction games are so strongly rooted in puzzle solving, and have evolved mainly in that direction, because the IF engines themselves are quite powerful, allow relatively easy implementation of C&C, and probably have the highest potential for interactivity of any existing game engine.

On the other hand, there are so many IF titles which are considered good (and which I haven't played), that some of them gotta have some C&C.

I am working on an IF game as I speak (for this month's IF Competition). Adding C&C is a bitch, because of the two big problems:
1) exponentially increasing number of story lines. With only a few player choices, the matrix of possible situations has become so big that I have to use a mind-mapping application to be able to visualize (and remember) them.
2) undramatic consequences when allowing the player o make choices. If you don't allow the player to choose, they're not interacting with the story. But in many situations, if you do allow them, all other choices will have less dramatic / interesting consequences. You spend more time, yet you develop a potentially inferior experience for the player.

But, god damn it, I will find a solution to this paradox.

DefJam101

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
I don't think there are any. Consequences in interactive fiction are pretty much only "How many beers with Ford did you have? Fifteen hundred? Oh shit, well you're screwed. Game over."

Lol.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Why did it take two days and a bump to get a response to this? ... And such a disappointing response. :(

What's American Hare?

opium fiend

Augur
Anchorhead had some C&C as far as I remember, especially in the end. In addition to being an excellent IF, but you people probably know about that one, so if anybody knows of something similar, recommend.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
there is a thread about non linear adventure games, you should look there.

Tapestry has some heavy-handed C&C. There are a bunch of others in the same vein (various moments in the character's life), but none are immediately coming to mind.

Metamorphoses, which is a great game, has a number of alternative ways to solve puzzles and some different endings based on how you solved them (and how you go home). But often it's hard to line up the choices with the consequences that you get in the ending, so I'm not sure this fits your bill.

Every single Sierra adventure has choices and consequences.

My signature is from an adventure game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom