Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there ANY worthwhile way to play PoR2?

Binary

Liturgist
I read somewhere the game was ok-ish if soloed instead of a full 4 char party... is this true?

Or any other options?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Any worthwhile way to play that pos? Well, how about playing while high on shrooms? Playing while recieving a blowjob might do the trick as well. Otherwise I really wouldn't know.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wasn't that the game that formatted your hard drive if you tried to uninstall it?

Texas Red

Whiner
Binary said:
I read somewhere the game was ok-ish if soloed instead of a full 4 char party... is this true?

Or any other options?

You don't have much of a life, do you?

Disconnected

Scholar
Binary said:

Or any other options?
It went from mind-numbing to addictive for me on my second attempt, so yes. It might be OK. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing it refuses to run on modern hardware though, so it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Thrasher

Erudite
I played with only 2 characters - a Paladin/Cleric and Sorcerer/Rogue. They kicked ass. Picked up only 1 NPC to carry items, but left him out of the party once on a level so he wouldn't leech XP.

The end bitch was cake. Both characters were around level 32.

Install the mod to speed up combat animations, and play turned-based (not with the stupid timer).

Lots of unique items - monotonous huge dungeons.

Items corrupt your stats permanently, sometimes in a positive fashion, once you figure out how they fuck up.

Masterpiece of .... Enjoy it in all its filth.

if you played it while smoking weed, sniffing crack, shooting up, eating shrooms, getting sucked and fucked, massaged, and drinking 80% absinthe, then you MIGHT enjoy it.

srsly tho, what's PoR2?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Game sucks big time. Up there with DTU as the worst D&D games ever amongst games that actually had some push behind.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Binary said:

Or any other options?

3 Characters and be sure to have the speed fix installed. Try to rush through the Great Hall as fast as possible and enjoy the rest of the game.

The end battle is still one of my personal favourites. The end boss has magic resistance about 1 million or so. Fucking incredible...

Binary

Liturgist
Sir_Brennus said:
Binary said:

Or any other options?

3 Characters and be sure to have the speed fix installed. Try to rush through the Great Hall as fast as possible and enjoy the rest of the game.

The end battle is still one of my personal favourites. The end boss has magic resistance about 1 million or so. Fucking incredible...

3 characters? speed fix? details plz?

Turbografx

Augur
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Shota Shernokavich said:
if you played it while smoking weed, sniffing crack, shooting up, eating shrooms, getting sucked and fucked, massaged, and drinking 80% absinthe, then you MIGHT enjoy it.

srsly tho, what's PoR2?

Pool of Radiance 2, a 2001 dungeon crawl. Buggy as shite.

Baldr

Novice
Don't bother. The dungeons are boring, long and are pretty much the entire game. If you like brown corridors, by all means play it. Otherwise you won't be bothered to finish.

IdaGno

Educated
I don't think so. My install is just a few days shy of 4 years olde & I'm about 1/2 way thru. For me, it's kind of like getting your BA at age 22 & FINALLY picking up your PHD sometime late in your 7th decade - completion just for the sake of completion.

Shannow

Waster of Time
It would have been an OKish dungeon crawl if you like "enemy b looks like enemy a but is twice as deadly because he's a different colour". And if one could have chosen feats instead of the game randomly choosing one for you :roll:

BUT the game has some nice handcrafted places and encounters, lots of "DM" comments and lots of puzzles. And the end boss is actually worth the title.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I thought it was fun with a solo-cleric. [Take one barbarian and rogue level later if you like].

Better yet, play Ultima Underworld again instead.

Delirious Nomad

Scholar
Is there ANY worthwhile way to play PoR2?

1. Patch 1.4 (no corruption, I didn't encounter one single serious bug)
2. Speed mod

now the most important part:

3. Attitude adjustment: Don't expect a D&D game. See it as an orginial IP. Because the biggest flaw might be, you can't select feats or skills on leveling up. So if you want to open locks give that character levels in the thief class and your lock picking skill goes up.
If you want to cleave, take levels in fighter. If you want to jump the enemy in the face in the first round of combat, take a level of barbarian for extra movement...

4. Enjoy a lot of close turn based fights.

5. Explore one huge city (the ruins of ). Sure it can get exhausting, but in return it gives you a more realistic atmosphere and scope.
It will get you.

Redeye

Arcane
You could abuse class specific items to do things for other classes.

There were some monk super damage/speed/etc. items which you could stack with rogue and fighter bonus items.

Don't really remember.

I just did my usual crap with web/stinking cloud/entangle/fireball/missile weapons.

I finished it just to finish it.

Perhaps as a non-D&D adventure game or thief/tomb-raider hybrid it could have been cool.

As for uninstall, just erase it and drop its entry.

DemonKing

Arcane
Shota Shernokavich said:

Problem is, the effect of all these distractions will probably run out well before you're finished with your second encounter (maybe a bit later with the speed mod installed)...

This really was an insult to the original which was an all time classic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom