Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire PC-Version Preview

MountainWest

Scholar
A short preview revealing some bonus stuff in the upcoming PC-version of Jade Empire, if anyone cares. Should one care? Anyone tried the XBOX-version? I'm guessing 2*not.

let's first take into account that John Cleese is in it. John Cleese! Playing a blundering Brit explorer with a blunderbus! That's great!

That does indeed sound great. That man ranks among the funniest EVAR in my book. And to whomever cries "Funny not equal RPG"; I've a hard time imagining his participation will ruin any "immersion" in this "RPG".
Yes, I like quotation marks.

The LINK: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=149834

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
John Clees is not 'bonus material' for the PC version. He was in the xbox version. And, his quest (not much of a quest as it was basically one rather long convo/interaction) was one of the best scenarios I have seen in ANY game EVER.

I find John Cleese funny at times; but I'm not his biggets fan. however, he nailed his JE role to the tee.

Volourn said:
John Clees is not 'bonus material' for the PC version. He was in the xbox version. And, his quest (not much of a quest as it was basically one rather long convo/interaction) was one of the best scenarios I have seen in ANY game EVER.

I find John Cleese funny at times; but I'm not his biggets fan. however, he nailed his JE role to the tee.

So, if All Bio games had John Gleese as an actor, would that make you a John Gleese fanboi? I bet, OH I BET, it would.

Dolar

Novice
Jade Empire is a fun game. The setting is interesting, there are some very unique characters, and the combat is like KOTOR with more button pushes.

Weapons could have been done better, weapons are just another Technique not really something you equip. Your best off picking one of the early martial techniques and maxing it out, more then half the game you will only use it.

You all will hate the old style scrolling shooter mini game I can 100% guarantee.

It is more action game with a good story then an RPG however.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"So, if All Bio games had John Gleese as an actor, would that make you a John Gleese fanboi? I bet, OH I BET, it would."

False. I don't like every voice actor in BIO games including 'famous' ones.

"It is more action game with a good story then an RPG however."

Wrong. It's an Action RPG with less combat than other BIO games yet more role-playing. Go figure. *shrug*

bylam

Funcom
Developer
JE was an interactive story, not a roleplaying game. I can think of an entire 2 points in the game where my decisions had any affect whatsoever.
I liked the game... but c'mon.

The John Cleese part is quite fun, but overdone.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"JE was an interactive story, not a roleplaying game. I can think of an entire 2 points in the game where my decisions had any affect whatsoever."

Bullshit. Why do you lie? :?

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Give me some examples. I honestly can't think of any point in the game where your decisions have a meaningful effect.

I'm not lying on purpose.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Give me some examples. I honestly can't think of any point in the game where your decisions have a meaningful effect."

How a bunch fo obvious ones - interatcions with joinable npcs espicially romances. hell, you can get one to admit he's gay for pete sake.

How 'bout dealing with the Ghost Children in the orphanage?

How 'bout the damn in the first village?

The avrious ways to work on the tournament?

There ya go. I did it quite easily without really heading on the main plot, and off the top of my head depsite not playing it in over a year (played it 3 times, and like most SP games I got bored and moved on after that)...

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Volourn said:
How 'bout dealing with the Ghost Children in the orphanage?
Wow. A cutscene.
Volourn said:
How 'bout the damn in the first village?
That affects nothing except possibly the writing in the end of game slideshow.
Volourn said:
The avrious ways to work on the tournament?
I don't really remember. Wasn't the tournament just fight fight fight? Or are you referring to taking sides with Lukan or not?

I'll assume we have different opinions about meaningful decisions and leave it at that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Wasn't the tournament just fight fight fight?"

This alone shows you are either a retard or didn't play the game and is lying.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
C'mon thats an area of the game which you have already cleared out to get to the dam control. Due to the linear nature of the level design this isn't really a "consequence" in any realistic sense.

kris

Arcane
bylam said:
C'mon thats an area of the game which you have already cleared out to get to the dam control. Due to the linear nature of the level design this isn't really a "consequence" in any realistic sense.

You seem to imply that only things directly affecting yor character counts as a consequence. although the thing about it being "cleared" don't have to be true, unless you planned it.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
kris said:
bylam said:

You seem to imply that only things directly affecting yor character counts as a consequence. although the thing about it being "cleared" don't have to be true, unless you planned it.

I clearly stated further up the page here "meaningful" effect. I don't consider the flooded area meaningful, especially considering that you have to play through it and empty it of enemies to get to the dam control.
So you missed a few chests and maybe the orphan quest? That is hardly a meaningful affect.

kris

Arcane
The question was whether it was a consequence of your actions., not how meaningful it felt to you personally. Now I agree that consequences that don't come back further into the content in quite linear games like this isn't really felt, they are still a consequence. Most regional world changing consequences in all games are not felt by the majority of players, including ones in less linear games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom