Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Jason isn't getting much love

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Rise of the Argonauts

<a href="http://www.rise-of-the-argonauts.com/">Rise of the Argonauts</a>, that homoerotic Greek Action RPG you may and or may not remember (it was the one that had that thing about getting skills from Gods or something, instead of a normal tech tree), has a bunch of reviews out for it. <a href="http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/939/939000p1.html">First up to bat is xbawxign</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Trimming the number-crunching aspects in which the obsessive-compulsive and RPG hardcore so ravenously revel while keeping in lengthy, fully-voiced conversations between characters and an accessible real-time combat system seems to be an appeal to the mainstream. By removing the typical RPG genre complications and adding a simple combat engine with a heavy emphasis on passive abilities and the mechanical repetition of light and heavy attacks, block, and dodge moves, the game can't fully satisfy action or RPG appetites. It feels like Liquid sacrificed too much for the sake of its genre fusion.</blockquote>
<br>
6.2/10. Strike 1. <a href="http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/rise_of_the_argonauts_review_360_ps3_pc/">Up next to the plate is UGO</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Conversation also steers Jason’s relationship with the Gods. There’s no truly “good” or “evil” path in Argonauts; instead, kingly Jason’s “moral” dilemmas play out in how his responses align with his patrons. Most dialogue options are connected with one of the four deities, filling their associated Aspect meter a little more with every selection.
<br>
<br>
Inventive ideas aside, the game does falter in some significant ways. The most glaring issue is technical in nature; Rise of the Argonauts is a buggy mess, at least in its Xbox 360 incarnation. Whether it’s installed on the hard drive or played from the disc, expect to encounter frequent slowdowns and “hiccups” during which the game will simply pause for a second or two. The technical troubles rarely render Argonauts unplayable, but they remain incredibly disruptive. </blockquote>
<br>
Overall C+. Strike 2. <a href="http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1642/Rise-of-the-Argonauts/p1/">We also have teamxbawx, fuck yeah</a>!
<br>
<blockquote>At the top of my list of things that drove me totally crazy about the new Rise of the Argonauts is this: the game should be so much better. In a world where many games fail at the conceptual phase, Rise of the Argonauts gets it right. It’s a classic story told in a new way, with pretty decent character design, and an ambitious approach to classic hack-n-slash combat design. So why is it so bad?
<br>
<br>
Rise of the Argonauts fails due to one basic flaw: horrible polish. At some point between a solid concept and what I bet is some awesome concept art, a thoroughly medicre game some how found it’s way through. Something happened in the execution. And the final execution of the game – from basic optimization issues to animations to just plain horrible pacing – reeks of something that was pushed out the door way before it was ready.</blockquote>
<br>
5.2 / 10. Strike three. Our baseball analogy falls apart now <a href="">because IGN also take a shot</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>But even that doesn't offset my biggest complaints. You'd think that -- for a game where most of the "action" takes place in conversations -- the developers would take special care in making the characters interesting to the degree that you actually care about what happens to them throughout the journey. But upon interacting with most of the game's main characters, it's clear that they all fall into archetypal roles that we've seen countless times over in other games and in completely different genres. The brute with the heart of gold, the egotistical and skilled fighter, and the tough warrior-princess -- they're all here, and they're just as predictable as you might expect.</blockquote>
<br>
... and finally, <a href="http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-review-rise-of-the-argonauts-114778.phtml">Destructoid live up to their name</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>It pains me to begin this review with a damning criticism, but it is a problem so great that it overshadows anything good that Rise of the Argonauts accomplishes. Let me start then by saying that RotA is the most broken, glitchy, buggy, unfinished videogame I have played all generation. Possibly ever. This game is so badly made, I cannot even comprehend how it got past QA, let alone made it far enough to be released... the opening chapter is a monument to shoddy development.</blockquote>
<br>
The game is out now for PC, except for the UK who have to wait until next year.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>PennyAnte</b>!

hiver

mmm...ok, one less "rpg" to look forward too.

Shame really because the setting could be very interesting for a rpg game.

IlkuWarrior

Liturgist
True, like I said in the other post. It's an ok game, just too short too be worth the money right now.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I cannot even comprehend how it got past QA

QA? Why do you want this outdated shit in 2008?
Didn't you fags want innovashun and immershun? Well you can now play as beta-tester in real time, first person.

Hazelnut

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
The game is out now for PC, except for the UK who have to wait until next year.

You know, this is starting to piss me off more and more recently. Guess I know how the Aussies feel now.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Morgoth said:
Well, I finished RotA a few days ago, and let me say that the game definitely deserves better. A solid 7.5/10 at least. I sure had quite some fun with it, despite having some rough edges.
Even an 8, probably, for occasional sparks of genuine brilliance (like that fucked up boy, Kiri, near Athena's temple). Finished it yesterday, and my judgement of it being the best BioWare-esque game still stands.

Zyrxil

Scholar
Morgoth said:
Well, I finished RotA a few days ago, and let me say that the game definitely deserves better. A solid 7.5/10 at least. I sure had quite some fun with it, despite having some rough edges.

I completely agree with a 7/10 or a 7.5/10 assessment. I enjoyed it a lot, even though I had to edit an ini just to change key bindings. These reviews are just a bunch of guys going "Let's shit on some tiny dev's game before sucking Ubisoft/Bioware/Bethesda/Rockstar's dick and giving their next 50 million dollar game a 10/10 with no criticisms, so it looks like we're actually journalists."

It's got a lot of great ideas, and does lack polish in areas, but nowhere near enough to knock it down to 5/10.

Thrasher

Erudite
Zyrxil said:
These reviews are just a bunch of guys going "Let's shit on some tiny dev's game before sucking Ubisoft/Bioware/Bethesda/Rockstar's dick and giving their next 50 million dollar game a 10/10 with no criticisms, so it looks like we're actually journalists."

Plus they are all crap sites clamoring to be the best game industry whore. The only one worth a modicum of respect is IGN.

Not very surprising. I was fearing this would happen since the Codex seemed to like it. You guys may have a very good taste in games, but every time you like one is like a sign of a horrible fate awaiting for it.

Turok

Erudite
The Rambling Sage said:
Not very surprising. I was fearing this would happen since the Codex seemed to like it. You guys may have a very good taste in games, but every time you like one is like a sign of a horrible fate awaiting for it.

The game is not good, it feel exactly like jade empire, the emptyness of towns, npc and non stop combats is everywhere plus combos a la gamepad. The game was maded for consoles not for pc.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I'm kind of dissapointed given these reviews, but I may still give it a try given the positive reactions it's gotten here.

Amon Gesoto said:
Jason looks like a butch Blackadder.
I dunno about that, but Jason is hot. He's like the male equivalent of Ayumi from X-Blades, but for chicks, and done with much more class and taste. I am all for having him on my screen for several hours. :P

Heresiarch

Prophet
Turok said:
The Rambling Sage said:

The game is not good, it feel exactly like jade empire, the emptyness of towns, npc and non stop combats is everywhere plus combos a la gamepad. The game was maded for consoles not for pc.

But Jade Empire is getting 8.5 or 9s everywhere.

Never played Jade Empire, because I hate western RPG filled with stupid looking Asian wannabes in it.

made

Arcane
ROTA > JE (fact)

Well, at least until the constant crashes made ROTA unplayable unless I would skip all dialogues...

Amon Gesoto

Educated
PennyAnte said:
Amon Gesoto said:
Jason looks like a butch Blackadder.
I dunno about that, but Jason is hot. He's like the male equivalent of Ayumi from X-Blades, but for chicks, and done with much more class and taste. I am all for having him on my screen for several hours. :P

jjrj0.png
baqi0.png

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Amon Gesoto said:
I'd say it's more like:
AndersonDavis2.jpg
Jason3.jpg
Jason4.jpg
christianbonelle2.jpg

I think we have to acknowledge that Jason has that uncommon, totally sexy, manly stare ... and while I definitely get your joke, real hotness in a guy is such a rare thing - and Blackadder is so goofy even the best plastic surgeon couldn't "butch" him up. So I guess I'm saying that even if you continue to be silly, Jason continues to be hot, and Jason wins. :D

Drakron

Arcane
.... Hiss ....

GOD DAMN IT PENNYANTE, MY EYES !!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom