Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jormund quest in Arcanum – Spoilers Abound

Cogar

Novice
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
I am curious regarding who really ended up killing Wrath in Quitarra. Once you get the poison vial in the shop and confront Ivory, for me at least, the conversation ends up pointing toward Wrath as committing suicide to frame Sharpe. However, there are a few problems with this conclusion:

1. Suicide to an elf is really suicide. They end their existence and cannot go on to the next plane (whatever that means).
2. Sharpe leaves town. I would expect someone who is guilty to make himself scarce.
3. The poison vial is hidden in a locked vase and without it you cannot convince Ivory of any wrongdoing. I do not know if the game really goes this deep, but you would expect two elves who feel passionately enough about each other to violate elven custom and live together would cover for one another.
4. The guard who is detaining Jormund is willing to accept that Sharpe is guilty. You end up getting XP (but not a fate point) and they will arrest Sharpe.
5. Since he had a dwarf “apprentice,” I would guess that someone who had been around as long as Wrath would know that the dwarf, not Sharpe, would be accused of his death. Therefore, totally ending his existence to frame someone who would probably never be suspected seems poor motive.

Still, there are some things that indicate that Wrath is guilty of committing suicide.
1. He was unbalanced. Different characters state this differently (Ivory, the guard), but the idea is that he was disturbed. His name—Wrath—also seems to portray that such is the case.
2. You get a fate point if you accuse Wrath of suicide. This “bonus” seems to indicate that this is the preferable solution.
3. In Arcanum, the tendency in solving crimes is to take the simple solution and believe the first person with a plausible answer once you have talked to both sides. The earliest example of this is the Charles Brehgo quest. (MORE SPOILERS) He claims to be wronged, although when you talk with Arbalah (and see the graves outside his house), I believe most people will side with Arbalah instead. I tend to think that this quest may have a similar “solution.”

What do you think about this?

PS: In case this was discussed already—I missed it. I did search first.

Cogar

Novice
Cloaked Figure said:
2. You get a fate point if you accuse Wrath of suicide. This “bonus” seems to indicate that this is the preferable solution.

Not necessarily. Selling the Bedokaan out to the poachers gives you a fate point, but is not really the 'preferable' solution.
You have a good point there. I never seriously considered selling out the Bedokaans, so I did not know about the fate point.

Cogar said:
OK--let's play a little "CSI." :) What is the proof?

Oh, haha. Wrath has the motive, to disrupt the relationship of Sharpe and Ivory. He was mad with jealous rage. Wrath and Ivory were once a couple. If you do a few things just right, you get this info out of Ivory and how Wrath threatened them. I may be mistaken but you get more information out of Wrath if you Conjure Spirit from him. Again, these are things I recall, it may not be 100% accurate. :P

Cogar

Novice
Whispering Darkness said:
. . . .I may be mistaken but you get more information out of Wrath if you Conjure Spirit from him. Again, these are things I recall, it may not be 100% accurate. :P
Ah--that's an idea. My character doesn't have that capability on this playthrough, though. Maybe next time. ;)

Thor Kaufman

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Cogar said:
Whispering Darkness said:
. . . .I may be mistaken but you get more information out of Wrath if you Conjure Spirit from him. Again, these are things I recall, it may not be 100% accurate. :P
Ah--that's an idea. My character doesn't have that capability on this playthrough, though. Maybe next time. ;)
Iirc high enough charisma/persuasion suffices

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom