Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News  JoWood's plans for the Gothic brand

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: JoWood Productions

Welcome to 2006, folks. According to <a href=http://www.jowood-news.de/>JoWood News</a>, <a href=http://www.jowood.com/>JoWood</a>, a publisher known for the Gothic and SpellForce games, has shared its bright vision of the future with the investors.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>JoWooD plans on starting to develop Playstation Portable games, because of the fast growing market, the low production costs and casual gamers as main target. Possible games for the PSP would be Panzer Elite Action, Neighbours from Hell, Pusher, Kao, Legend of Kay and the Skiracing series. JoWooD isn't going into the next generation consoles yet. They've decided to give the next gen console market some time to grow before they entering it.
<br>
<br>
On this meeting JoWooD also stated its long-term strategy. This includes stronger community work, in-game advertising and increasing online sales.
<br>
<br>
For future games they are looking into <b>Gothic 4</b>, SpellForce 3, <b>Gothic Episodes</b>, <b>Gothic for consoles and Gothic</b> and Spellforce <b>MMORPG</b>'s. All these games were mentioned on a slide labeled "Brand Development" (transl.)</blockquote>Looks like the Gothic franchise will be thoroughly milked and whored out for all it's worth. Brand development, huh?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Whipporowill

Erudite
They aren't whoring it out, they're investigating how it can be whored out, and if there's a profit to be made. Not that I don't believe they'd balk at the chance if there was money in it... and hey, maybe a non-us centered mmorpg might be interesting. A pre-collapse prison colony would be a pretty cool setting, albeit a bit on the small side I guess...

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Uh, why don't they release Gothic 3 before discussing Gothic 4.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Seriously? The retaded company that doesn't plan ahead is a d e a d company within a short amount of time.

"-So Billy-Bob, what game should we do know that we've released the game we spent 4 years working on.

-Sure beats me Betty-Sue, maybe go ask Pa if he has any ideas.

- I already asked. He's all out.

-Aww, shucks Betty-Sue. I guess we best sleep on it then.

-Keep them filthy paws to yourself Billy-Bob, or I'm tellin' pa!

-Aww, shucks Betty-Sue. I'm your brother and all!"

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The unofficial JoWood PR guy ;) said:
Seriously? The retaded company that doesn't plan ahead is a d e a d company within a short amount of time.
Planning ahead and lining up titles is one thing, jumping ahead is quite another. Throwing shit (any crap with the Gothic name on it) against the wall (casual market), hoping something will stick could hardly be called brand development.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Hey! I'm studying to be a project manager damnit! Planning is key to everything... ;)

And I don't think they're planning anything, they're just saying what the investors wants to hear - they're aware of a the fact that there's future, and they're looking into how to capitalize on it. :lol:

geminito

Liturgist
Gothic 2 already feels like a console game. Combat would be easier to play with a game controller I'm sure. I think future Gothics could do very well on consoles.

Micmu

Magister
Gothics were meant to be console games, hence the redicilous controls and awful inventory (they said they'll be "PC-ized" in G3).
Somehow they never managed to port them. Their loss.

And maybe they need slightly more aggresive marketing (yes, hype) to catch up with other companies. And better publisher(s) this time.

Section8

Cipher
If they do make a Gothic MMORPG, I hope they stick with the "ponytail guy" for everyone's character. That would be gold. The irony would be that "Gothic Online," a game filled with real human players, would actually be a less plausible representation of Gothic's "living world" and NPCs.

Deacdo

Liturgist
As long as the core series stays exclusive to the PC and PB develops them, it won't bother me too much. Sad and regretable, yes, but when they flop the pain will end.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I dunno, the Gothic Episodes thing sounds kind of cool. Like playing the game from the perspective of different characters or add-on packs to the games. Console wouldn't be that bad either unless it becomes a kart-racing game or something.

MMORPG would probably be garabage. And as for Spellforce, eh, who cares.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Jowood can do what they want. They seem to know what they are doing, afterall, they aren't successful by accident.

Atrokkus

Erudite
As long as they're not fucking with Gothic, I'm all cool about it. Moreover, I actually want them to do all this stuff with profitable products, so that there would be enough money to make Gothic better and release it properly.
It's okay to do a mmorpg out of gothic (and yeah, the colony setting is somethign fresh and interesting), as long as it would be a separate products-line of the franchise (like WOW and WC3 are separate entities, but share the setting).

You know why I'm so calm about this? Because Gothic, from the very beginning, was a VERY versatile game. It suited both 13-year old munchkins and devoted roleplayers, because of it's perfect design. It had the actiony combat from the start, and that is something all people can enjoy, but it also has a very vibrant world, "living" npcs (albeit just scripted, but that's enough to impress a player), and a very original starting plot.
It's hard to dumbdown this game ^_^

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I echo the "as long as they don't fuck with the original series, i don't care what whoring they do" sentiment.

I didn't think any real devs were considering that stupid episodic approach to RPGs. It sucks on all angles... it looks like you're squeezing money from your loyal customers while blatantly showing that your game is VERY linear.

Dreagon

Scholar
If they would give me the option of playing in first person perspective I would be a lot more interested in this game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Dreagon said:
If they would give me the option of playing in first person perspective I would be a lot more interested in this game.
Press "f".

I always use the FPP mode when I'm walking through thick bushes. (At least in Gothic 2; don't remember if it worked in G1 too.)

Jinxed

Liturgist
micmu said:
Gothics were meant to be console games, hence the redicilous controls and awful inventory (they said they'll be "PC-ized" in G3).
Somehow they never managed to port them. Their loss.

And maybe they need slightly more aggresive marketing (yes, hype) to catch up with other companies. And better publisher(s) this time.

The inventory would be perfect if the game paused while browsing it and a mouse cursor got turned on. It's limitless and weighless. You don't really have to spend hours rearranging it either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom