Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JustPressPlay Says Empire at War Is A-Okay

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
<strong>[ Game -> Review ]</strong>

<p>After a rather lukewarm review from <a title="LOL" target="_self" href="http://www.gamespy.com">GameSpy</a>, <a title="ddd" target="_self" href="http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/indexFlash.html">Star Wars Empire at War</a> is garnering some praise from some dude at <a title="just press it lol" target="_self" href="http://www.justpressplay.com">JustPressPlay</a>, who awarded it an 8.9/10 (Why not just give it 9/10 for chrissakes?):</p><blockquote><p>One thing that will please some people and undoubtedly will make some
hardcore RTS gamers upset is, instead of having to worry about health,
money, manna, stamina etc., you only have credits to worry about.
Credits pretty much are everything in SW:EAW. They give you you&rsquo;re
ability to purchase almost everything. Me personally, I thought it was
a nice break to have to only worry about credits in the game. It left
me more time to enjoy (or worry about) the rest of the game. Again,
some hardcore RTS fans, might find only having to worry about one item
instead of five less challenging. </p></blockquote><p>So, uh, I guess units don't have health or stamina then, right? You just need to get enough money and then you win the game!
</p><blockquote><p>During the space
battles, when targeting enemy ships you&rsquo;ll notice you can target
specific areas of the ships. This was definitely a nice feature added
to the game. Instead of just targeting an Imperial Star Destroyer, you
can target its shield generator, engines or any of the turbo laser
batteries as well. You can target the ship itself in general and your
fleet will see to your enemies as they please. </p></blockquote><p>That's definitely a cool feature, and one that should be in more RTS games. To use <a title="just click the link okay ;)" target="_self" href="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=shit">Battle For Middle Earth</a> as an example, you could target archers or whatever to take out those big elephant's legs and when it hits the ground, you order all your tank units to rush and swarm it. Much better than just right-clicking it and watching a death animation.</p><p>Read the <a title="george bush doesn't care about black people" target="_self" href="http://www.justpressplay.net/games/reviews/pc/161-Star_Wars_Empire_At_War.html">rest</a>. </p>

LlamaGod

Cipher
In the Two Towers action games, whenever an oiliphant died it just exploded. And you could kill them with throwing axes.

But i'm pretty sure Nexus had the locational targeting, it makes more sense in a space strategy than all-else.

The Blitzkreig games did a pretty nice job using it in a way, though.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Best locational damage I've seen was in the CM series. Well modeled, but annoying when your Tiger would get its tracks/turret blown off.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Naked_Lunch said:
So, uh, I guess units don't have health or stamina then, right? You just need to get enough money and then you win the game!
Well, in the campaign/Galactic Conquest mode that's actually the only thing you'll think about after some time yes. With enough reinforcements, any planet is toast.

Then again, after some initial criticism about the battles I am enjoying it right now. It's not like you want to fight every battle of course (same with Rome: Total War imo) but for a first run through the game and its units it's pleasant enough. After that the box will probably gather some dust on my shelves for years to come since the campaign is way to monotonous.

The biggest problem is the scope, they should have gone for a full war/IG-like game with X-Wings and other spacecraft that should be able to enter the planet's atmosphere. The maps are way too small too.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Levski 1912 said:
Best locational damage I've seen was in the CM series. Well modeled, but annoying when your Tiger would get its tracks/turret blown off.
I don't think you could have units target individual locations, though. You just ordered them to fire on another unit and the locational damage would be random, correct?

Levski 1912

Scholar
Naked_Lunch said:
Levski 1912 said:
I don't think you could have units target individual locations, though. You just ordered them to fire on another unit and the locational damage would be random, correct?
True. The damage seemed to be determined by dice rolls as well as the penetration values of the ammo (and quite a few other factors). Would have been nice to order your troops to shoot for specific targets, but oh well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom