Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kara no Shoujo - solving murder mysteries in 1950's Japan

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not surprising, people want the harem games where they have 20 cute girls begging for your cock... not a disturbing game where everyone dies and even in the "good ending" you feel like shit.

That nice boxset and KnS2 are probably being made more of fan requests and the teams actual taste than sales number, I bet.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Not surprising, people want the harem games where they have 20 cute girls begging for your cock... not a disturbing game where everyone dies and even in the "good ending" you feel like shit.

That nice boxset and KnS2 are probably being made more of fan requests and the teams actual taste than sales number, I bet.

Sadly, that's probably true. Oh well, as long as they release KnS 2 I don't care. The prices of VNs are a little bit steep, but I can spare a few dorra on day one for some quality entertainment.

Last edited:

Fart Master

Savant
Just finished this and feel like dying. I think I just went from slightly depressed to borderline apathetic in one fell swoop.
I got all the 4 endings (skipped true ending because apparently it changes nothing, thanks for the heads up) and goddamn do I feel like dirt.
The ending where Toko survives just left me feeling empty. At that point I knew that there was no way the story would have any kind of happy ending. The 'real' ending (where you find your wives killer) is just so depressing. Toko is just lost and nobody gives a fuck (not even the protag, what the fuck?). Why didnt he do everything he could to save her instead of prying into her past when shes kidnapped by a fucker who has dismembered 4+ girls? I really liked her as a character and I so wish that it would of all been fine for her. Something about her being so fragile and innocent makes it soooo much worse. Fuck I can hear the title music playing in my head.

Never touching utsuge again (until KnS2 gets translated, fuck me)

Fart Master

Savant
Also about the bus scene near the end:

Who was the man who gave Mamiya Tokos mother in the egg? It wasn't Makoto because he loved his sister, why would he ever give her to anyone else. Also it couldnt have been Mamiya giving Toko to some kid since Toko was beheaded and the woman in the egg wasnt.

I need to stop thinking about this and try to get some sleep.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
(skipped true ending because apparently it changes nothing, thanks for the heads up)

It doesn't add new events, no, but it gives closure by revealing something about Toko. But it's probably not the kind of "big revelation" that you are looking for anyway.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Never touching utsuge again
15742.jpg

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Never touching utsuge again (until KnS2 gets translated, fuck me)

Well... Better focus on healing your mental state because...

Just the opening lines...

──泣いている。
 この世に生を受けたばかりの命が、泣いている。
 ──ああ、よかった。
 元気に生きてくれている。
 とても──とても大切な、あの人の血を受け継ぐ子。
 ──生まれてきてくれて、どうもありがとう。
 どうか私の分も、幸せになって下さい。
 私はもう、長くは生きられないから──
 生まれてきた我が子を、抱きしめる事すら出来ないから──
 この想いすら、誰にも伝える事は出来ないから──
 ……休もう。
 願わくば、次に目覚めるときは、あの人の腕の中で──

It’s crying.

This precious life, only having been born into this world moments ago… is crying.

Ah… I’m so glad. I’m so glad that you’re healthy.

His blood runs in your veins – the blood of a person that meant the most to me.

Thank you so much for being born.

Please… I want you to live and be happy – in my place as well.

I don’t have much time left to live…

I am unable to even embrace the child I’ve given birth to…

Nor can I convey these feelings to anyone…

So let me rest…

…and pray that the next time I awaken, I will be in his embrace.

Oh fuck. Oh fucking fuck.

Not fucking again.

WONT IT EVER STOP HURTING?

Seriously, why the fuck? KnS2 is not just mean anymore, it is... fucking vile.

The happiest ending in the game is the one where the protagonist hits his dead and slowly dies while hallucinating of a different kind of an ending.

Can hardly wait for KnS3. Bring it on. You can't bring any more hurt into me.

Fart Master

Savant
Hopefully it'll be a while before the translation is done. 5 years would be fine. Can you get PTSD from reading VNs? Lets find out.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
BTW, if you're looking for something similar while waiting for KnS2:
Just finished watching Mouryou no Hako. It's based on a 1995 Natsuhiko Kyogoku novel and has more than a little bit in common with Kara no Shoujo...

The story follows a series of bizarre murders of schoolgirls who have been dismembered and stuffed into boxes. The private investigator hired by a missing daughter's mother joins forces with an antique book seller and others to unravel the murder spree.

A whole lot more complex than that. Pretty well adapted, though certain parts were covered so fast that it is hard to follow, especially with the fan translation. Unlike Kara no Shoujo, none of the characters are especially likeable, so their fates are easier to stomach.

Thumbs up for the ending, heh heh.

The "influence" of the novel is quite obvious in KnS, but the anime also has quite similar visual style.

Also, creepy people are creepy (spoiler-ish)

Fart Master

Savant
What a coincidence I've had that show on my backlog for ages. Once I finish Boogiepop Phantom I'll definitely watch it. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it doesnt have a happy end.

Fart Master

Savant
Also about the bus scene near the end:

Who was the man who gave Mamiya Tokos mother in the egg? It wasn't Makoto because he loved his sister, why would he ever give her to anyone else. Also it couldnt have been Mamiya giving Toko to some kid since Toko was beheaded and the woman in the egg wasnt.

I need to stop thinking about this and try to get some sleep.
can someone smarter than me shed light on this? its really bugging me lately as pathetic as that is. Or is it just something that I shouldnt overthink

I should probably not get into tragic visual novels again. I've lost more than one nights of sleep due to KnS

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Did they replace the artist? The art looks worst, way more anime-ish. I prefer the sober tone of the original.

I had the same impression, but on reflection it's simply that they use more vibrant colour palete + glow. Not so nice, I concur.

Still, the backgrounds look terrific and sombre. Looking forwards to this.

oscar

Arcane
I should probably not get into tragic visual novels again. I've lost more than one nights of sleep due to KnS

I don't know why it is but visual novels have hit me far harder than 'tragic' films, books, plays etc

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

I don't know why it is but visual novels have hit me far harder than 'tragic' films, books, plays etc
Yeah, since you "play" as the protagonist you can get really invested if the story is well written. Thing is they go really overboard with the doom, gloom, depressive stuff. Every tragedy needs some form of catharsis, but the idea of catharsis in KnS is to kick you in the balls even harder, that's why I'm not gonna touch that shit again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom