Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter King Arthur: Knight's Tale - dark fantasy turn-based tactical RPG from NeocoreGames - Legion IX standalone expansion coming May 9th

Cael

Arcane
Bought a relic sword for Balin and he started exploding enemies with 2x50 damage. This is level 5, I get now why people post here that it trivializes the game.

Yeah, I noticed Balin was something fucked up around that level. I initially thought during these loading screens when I'd jam on the keyboard pretending to be Stevie Wonder I accidentally input some sort of cheat code but no, this is Balin. This is what he does to people.
All Vanguards do that. Tristan does the same thing. Backstab+surprise = exploded boss.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
All Vanguards do that. Tristan does the same thing. Backstab+surprise = exploded boss.
Tristan is probably is not a best long-term investment since his basic stab is 4 AP and that is a huge show stopper for chain killing.

I was using Balin from the very beginning then got cupbearer guy who seemed exact copy of Balin skill-wise but got a different set of morals. Played with Balin for the first 2 chapters and only changed him to Boudicea in the first half of chapter 3 who has decent group buff and heals herself with each hit and kill, like Mordred.
Well, traps was rapidly losing their shine anyway.

Saravan

Savant

Cael

Arcane
Tristan is probably is not a best long-term investment since his basic stab is 4 AP and that is a huge show stopper for chain killing.

I was using Balin from the very beginning then got cupbearer guy who seemed exact copy of Balin skill-wise but got a different set of morals. Played with Balin for the first 2 chapters and only changed him to Boudicea in the first half of chapter 3 who has decent group buff and heals herself with each hit and kill, like Mordred.
Well, traps was rapidly losing their shine anyway.
I only used Tristan because the guy I am watching took Balan instead of Balin, so I don't know what Balin does. Tristan is better than the next Vanguard you get, though.

Parabalus

Arcane
Which heroes unlock side missions?

Guessing that if you ditch them you lose out, so ideally you will cycle the heroes after you complete their missions.

Codex Year of the Donut
Which heroes unlock side missions?

Guessing that if you ditch them you lose out, so ideally you will cycle the heroes after you complete their missions.
Not just side missions, heroes like Tristan have their own unique events that give ~unique benefits~

Harthwain

Magister
This game is not about charging forward; especially in early game you want to lay out traps to weaken enemies and of course use your ranged hero to thin out the mobs. The goal is to not get touched.
Amen. Using Overwatch on Vanguards when staying just out of range of enemy attacks (the red zone) is also a great way of throwing in some extra damage before the inevitable clash.

I was using Balin from the very beginning then got cupbearer guy who seemed exact copy of Balin skill-wise but got a different set of morals.
The inability to see tier 2 and tier 3 skills is really annoying in terms of long-term planning what kind of hero you want to build.

By the way, does Tristan's poison debuff work against the Lost, since it's part of the whole poison package deal to which the Lost are immune to? I wouldn't mind the lack of poison damage, as long as I can keep the poison debuff, because -30% can be really good, especially when combined with Block or other skills that debuff damage (such as Ector's Blood Hex). Also, if he attacks twice, does the debuff stack?

Parabalus

Arcane
When do you get someone other than Ector with Spellcraft?

Started A2, still nothing. On the Fisher King mission.

Using Overwatch on Vanguards when staying just out of range of enemy attacks (the red zone) is also a great way of throwing in some extra damage before the inevitable clash.

I noticed sometimes Balin would attack enemies, who come close, while stealthed, without me overwatching. Response to enemies moving into his square?

Harthwain

Magister
I noticed sometimes Balin would attack enemies, who come close, while stealthed, without me overwatching. Response to enemies moving into his square?
Sounds like it - detection + opportunity attack. Unless you have some item that grants automatic attacks for anyone entering a square next to a character. But so far I am only aware of Pelleas who has a specific skill that allows him to Overwatch any square around him. Or was it simply Counter Attack skill (attack back when attacked by enemy)?

Codex Year of the Donut
A unit that pops a stealth character will (afaict) continue their movement, including triggering an attack of opportunity.
UNLESS(again, afaict) the stealthed unit is directly in their way which will cause the unit to stop moving. Helps to be mindful of AI pathing when positioning your stealthed units for free aoo.

Parabalus

Arcane
What are you guys doing with the permanent buffs from the challenges? Currently just sitting on them, since it's hard to guess which knights are the best ones given that you can't see higher tier skills, or which ones you will get later.

Sounds like it - detection + opportunity attack. Unless you have some item that grants automatic attacks for anyone entering a square next to a character. But so far I am only aware of Pelleas who has a specific skill that allows him to Overwatch any square around him. Or was it simply Counter Attack skill (attack back when attacked by enemy)?

Don't have counter attack, but the first option you suggest seems likely.

Codex Year of the Donut
What are you guys doing with the permanent buffs from the challenges? Currently just sitting on them, since it's hard to guess which knights are the best ones given that you can't see higher tier skills, or which ones you will get later.
dodge -> mordred
vitality on mission complete -> your #1 crutch that isn't mordred and hurts to have benched
+wound tokens -> same as above, mordred has 2(?) by default

rest just on a 'meh why not' basis

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just dropped in to just say that the atmosphere and the design and art of the UI is mesmerizing.

Such a beautiful old school UI!

Oropay

Educated
This game's mechanics can be annoyingly inconsistent at times. For example, the Magical Armor that Archanists get is supposed to "protect the hero from the first attack." But for some reason, that doesn't include overwatch attacks, or at least the ranged overwatch attack that just damaged my mage. Also the number of deflections provided by Stone Skin isn't decreased by cleave or the Archanist's Fire Blast area attack, as I noted earlier.

Using Overwatch on Vanguards when staying just out of range of enemy attacks (the red zone) is also a great way of throwing in some extra damage before the inevitable clash.
The evolution of your strategy: after you get the -2AP perk on traps, you can easily trick the AI into your overwatch while preventing them from attacking. Normally the AI (perhaps except for the Lost?) won't come into your melee overwatch zone unless they can attack. So you drop a trap on a red corner (-2AP needed for attack), and overwatch with your Champion on the opposite orange tile.

Same, although I'm going to give the 20% Vitality recovery after mission to either Kay or Balan, because they're the most likely to take Vit dmg. Haven't really decided between the two, but I'm considering Balan because his Loyalty is already so high, +1AP at the end of Act II. I gave Kay the double damage buff early on though. Who knows, the loyalty might not be the deciding factor because Kay's is also high. Paralysis of choice. I'll probably wait to decide until the third tier of skills is unveiled

Codex Year of the Donut
This game's mechanics can be annoyingly inconsistent at times. For example, the Magical Armor that Archanists get is supposed to "protect the hero from the first attack." But for some reason, that doesn't include overwatch attacks, or at least the ranged overwatch attack that just damaged my mage.
It's the giant bonus armor you get until they get hit.
It also heavily influences which unit the AI will attack so it's worth taking.

Oropay

Educated
^ I know that, I'm saying that my Ector has the passive but it didn't protect him from taking damage (as if he had no Magical Armor) from a ranged overwatch attack. Armor = Intact, Ector = -8HP from an 11 dmg hit

J1M

Arcane
"Fantasy XCOM" is a sales pitch I'm interested in, but I found the gameplay of this one to be too repetitive.

Harthwain

Magister
This game's mechanics can be annoyingly inconsistent at times.
Apparently the Vulnerability debuffs do not stacks - each skill replaces the previous one. Kind of important to keep in mind. Not sure if this is a bug, but it feels like one.

Normally the AI (perhaps except for the Lost?) won't come into your melee overwatch zone unless they can attack.
The Lost consistently go into melee Overwatch. Not sure about humans at the moment, but I do seem to remember they did surprise me a few times.

Same, although I'm going to give the 20% Vitality recovery after mission to either Kay or Balan, because they're the most likely to take Vit dmg.
Balan has a skill that grants him extra armour for a turn and Kay has a trait that makes his practically unusable to take him when he's wounded (although it's no as extreme as Pelleas', which outhright forbids him to go if he has ANY injury of vitality damage), so I'd rather make sure Kay recovers ASAP.

"Fantasy XCOM" is a sales pitch I'm interested in, but I found the gameplay of this one to be too repetitive.
I am surprised how varied the fights are in terms of setup. For example, I thought I will have to fight a massive horde of enemies, only to find out

they were fighting each other, so I could use that to my advantage

Or I could pay money to someone to make them fight for me or avoid the fight althogether.

I do wonder if you get XP per mission/quest or do kills also factor in this?

Last edited:

jac8awol

Arbiter
Difficulty seems a little inconsistent, for example that 1 mission where you can recruit the pagan deer-fucker was labelled as lvl10 but was a cakewalk. Then I get into the other lvl10 missions and I'm having to reload quite a few times to get through with no major vitality loss or injuries. This is on hard. I like that it's getting harder, in general. Refreshing! May have to try this again at the highest difficulty one day when I'm feeling masochistic.
Fun so far, definitely recommend.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Secret chests that need 2 perception and spellcraft only started to appear for me in act 3, those +perception trinkets really slowed me down in vain for all this time...

Game is really not telling a lot of things about its mechanics, makes me wonder if they are intended or not.

Started A2, still nothing. On the Fisher King mission.

That's when other casters start to join, 1-2 sages according to your morality and another mage near ending of act2.

Yeah vanguards does that while stealthed. Nice way to get a cheap and powerful suprise overwatch attack.

But for some reason, that doesn't include overwatch attacks

Those protections really work on direct attacks, also high armor piercing damage can bypass them.

Also the number of deflections provided by Stone Skin isn't decreased by cleave or the Archanist's Fire Blast area attack, as I noted earlier.

Same thing applies here as well, only direct attacks. I killed a lot of enemies with earth cracker and cleave this way.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Secret chests that need 2 perception and spellcraft only started to appear for me in act 3, those +perception trinkets really slowed me down in vain for all this time...
Beside just having skill you need to come really close to the hidden chests for them to be revealed.
This is where my autistic habit of scouring every centimeter and checking every seemingly empty dead end helps) Same with some minor events - I had a witch jumping out of the earth somewhere and giving me a buff.

Still I've only found ~10 chests with Relic Dust over the course of the campaign. And iirc some chests revealed by spellcraft only have random items in them, not dust.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I too search every nook and cranny of the maps, throughly especially after founding my first secret chest. Haven't seen anything other than dust and gold yet.

Parabalus

Arcane
ecret chests that need 2 perception and spellcraft only started to appear for me in act 3, those +perception trinkets really slowed me down in vain for all this time...

Game is really not telling a lot of things about its mechanics, makes me wonder if they are intended or not.

How many chests did you find in A1 and A2?

I think I did 1+1 in A1, which seems extremely little.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom