Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Making Babies in Fallout 3

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

Here are a some interviews with Pete Hines about Fallout 3. <a href="http://www.ripten.com/2008/07/29/making-babies-in-the-vault-and-making-corpses-outside-fallout-3-interview-with-pete-hines/">First up is Pete's involvement</a> in <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbsVzwRAsGY">the makin' babies trailer</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>Zungre: Did you have a hand in creating that trailer?</b>
<br>
<br>
Peter Hines: I did actually. I had this idea and I was talking with Todd and Emil Pagliarulo, who is our lead designer, in his office and I was like, “I want to do our trailer and I want to do a live action thing.” And I talked to the ad firm and they were like, “we love that idea, can you write it up?”</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://www.atomicgamer.com/article.php?id=624">Then there's AtomicGamers who say</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>It seems a lot like quests and dialog are having much more thought put into them this time. We know that the world doesn't have nearly the number of dialog-enabled NPCs in it as the Elder Scrolls games did so you could do much more dialog per character, but is the number of quests lower as well? If so, are the quests deeper than we've seen in past Bethesda games?</b>
<br>
<br>
I would say they're both deeper and wider, in terms of the number of choices and options you have in approaching a given quest and how you want to handle it, as well as what's there to get to in a quest. How we handle all of those choices you make and have them be meaningful. Handling lots of special situations where you get special dialog options based on certain characteristics your character may or may not have. All of that stems from having a world that is smaller in scope from Oblivion and being able to spend a lot more time on fewer quests.</blockquote>
<br>
Remember kids "deeper and wider", Pete's promised!
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>WhiskeyWolf</b>!

Fez

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Remember kids "deeper and wider", Pete's promised!

I bet that's what he promises every time he's trying to work his charms.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
That trailer was kinda nice. Gotta love the look on her face when he suggests "repopulating the Vault".

Pegultagol

Erudite
Only if they did to the actual game the same treatment they've applied to the opening sequence of Fallout for the commercial. (which I presume)

BTW, the vault rep looks like CNN's Rick Sanchez

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wyrmlord said:
That trailer was kinda nice. Gotta love the look on her face when he suggests "repopulating the Vault".
Yep, they really nailed the 50s morals. Showing women giving birth in TV ads was common those days after all. It wasn't like they made children believe that storks bring the babies like we do today. They had a much more enlightened attitude toward sexuality. After all, they started sexual education in schools in third grade. Not like in our times where you'd need to study medicine to get a scientific view of the whole sex thing.
At last Bethesda "got something right". If they continue like this FO3 will be a definite "must buy".

made

Arcane
Pete Hines said:
I was like... and they were like...

I realize I'm an ignorant European, but do grown-up men in the US actually talk like that or is it, like, a PR thing?

Shoelip

Arbiter
I think it's a Pete Hines thing. The President has shown that sounding unintelligent really helps gain public support, so logically, what works for politics should work for other forms of bullshit.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Pete_Hines.jpg

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
God, that man is ugly.

Anyway, I liked the ad right up until the point where they started showing the gameplay.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
He should grow his hair out to cover those ears. Sure, his smile is creepy, but if he covered up those hideous ears, his appearance would greatly improve.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
That add was sweet. After being exposed to chudtastic previews to the new season of Gossip Cunt on the CW, it's nice to see something cool for a change.

As for the actuall game, I'm more persuaded every time I see gameplay footage, though I know it's not really a Fallout game.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Did anyone else think that the announcer guy's voice sounded kind of off? I dunno, I thought it should have sounded cornier, but I don't see anyone else saying that.

kris

Arcane
Best thing they did, this trailer.

But I would agree that the gameplay didn't lok encouraging. seems like a game that is only about blowing things up.

Anaglyph

Novice
Shoelip said:
Did anyone else think that the announcer guy's voice sounded kind of off? I dunno, I thought it should have sounded cornier, but I don't see anyone else saying that.

I agree. In fact the whole parody didn't quite work because of the too blatant intrusion of modern style/attitudes (e.g. repopulation bit already mentioned). Still, it was mildly amusing.

Suchy

Arcane
From the other hand... you'd think that Beth was "innovative" with their teddy bear gun, huh?
Wrong.
The Japs did it first:
teddybeargun.jpg

Must be an easter egg then. And not a bad one, judging by American prejudice towards Japan in the 50's. :roll:

Shoelip

Arbiter
The Japanese; cornering the market on useless inventions since... well, since they got their economy back I guess. Not really sure to be honest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom