Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Making You Sick

Tekar

Novice
a grim saga which dares to explore themes ranging from philosophy to cannibalism
Hahaha!
<damsel in distress voice>"Oh no! Not philosophy, run for your lives!"</damsel in distress voice>

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Whereas previous efforts owed an obvious debt of gratitude to tabletop outings like Dungeons & Dragons, Hulett explains, modern RPGs push the boundaries of what audiences consider traditional gaming experiences. Knights and princesses no longer hold exclusive sway over interactive adventures. Today's more progressive digital dungeon crawls feature motifs as diverse as giant robots, Wild Western gunplay, ancient Asian folklore and post-apocalyptic universes.
Post-apocalyptic? Wooha, finally!

What a sad statement.
Now, who wants to buy my Shin Megami Tensai L.C. for PS2?

LlamaGod

Cipher
Frau Bishop said:
Whereas previous efforts owed an obvious debt of gratitude to tabletop outings like Dungeons & Dragons, Hulett explains, modern RPGs push the boundaries of what audiences consider traditional gaming experiences. Knights and princesses no longer hold exclusive sway over interactive adventures. Today's more progressive digital dungeon crawls feature motifs as diverse as giant robots, Wild Western gunplay, ancient Asian folklore and post-apocalyptic universes.
Post-apocalyptic? Wooha, finally!

The problem with P-A JRPGs is they like to also still include everything else because Japan has a creativity problem or something. Everything is anime and everything has everything else and is a sequel to everything else.

So you get anime cowboys riding giant robots through a post-apocalypse desert to defeat the evil giant ghost of their grandpa from destroying the Earth.

Gambler

Augur
The problem with P-A JRPGs is they like to also still include everything else because Japan has a creativity problem or something.
I don't think it's about creativity. Countries with good economy traditionally export the worst aspects of their culture to the whole world.

Drakron

Arcane
99% of RPGs are in set in medevil themes, there is little wish to move from that.

Final Fantasy is really a poor choice since they are Square flagship series and so they play it save, even if we can see some experiments (FF X did had a interesting plot that seens to be part ruined in the translation and by Square playing safe) but its unlikely they be truly inovative.

Also roleplaying is not reading a book or watch a TV show, cRPGS tend to be very linear and lacking even dialogue choices ...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The only FF games I remember enjoying were FF6 and FF Tactics (great game). Chrono Trigger and Cross (Cross has some really great music) are fun, too, but other than that I'm trying to think of Square games that I didn't find boring.

Have any of you played Grandia? That's a jRPG that I really enjoyed, for some reason. I don't remember it that well though, but I'm thinking of buying it from the bargain bin.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Grandia is the God of JRPGs
...I wish I had not sold it when the PS1 stopped working...

Is it me or did the second one suck ass and lack any of the magic of th first one, was so cliche(Oh you are the reincarnation of a God, but you can be killed by a turtle), G3 looks to suck also.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The only thing I remember about the combat was the little "hoochi koochi ra-ra" sound effect that plays when you have the blonde chick do the cheerleader attack. I also kinda remember being able to move about, which was pretty cool.

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
Secret of Mana was quite fun to play with a friend, especially with kill stealing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom